Lusting after Pioneer 8100NEX Headunit, ???s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Lusting after Pioneer 8100NEX Headunit, ???s

3rd Gen EX, wanting Navigation and Carplay, Pioneer 8100NEX looks good to me but have questions.
1. Anyone out there done/had done the install
2 Will steering wheel controls work
3 Will both the rear and right side cameras work as they do with the stock unit
4 Saw a thread asking re the clock in the instrument cluster, does it disappear or what

Old 05-05-2015, 02:17 PM
interested as well!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Won't fit...I tried with metra kit.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Orange Julius
3rd Gen EX, wanting Navigation and Carplay, Pioneer 8100NEX looks good to me but have questions.
1. Anyone out there done/had done the install
2 Will steering wheel controls work
3 Will both the rear and right side cameras work as they do with the stock unit
4 Saw a thread asking re the clock in the instrument cluster, does it disappear or what
1. yes, but not me. forumites will chime in
2. The aftermarket harness you need to add a few wires to retain the steering controls
3. No and No. Both cameras are tied to the F-CAN system, and without the proper coding/interface from the pioneer unit. Its simply improbable (not impossible, as there is certainly always a way to retain functionality) to have these features.
4. No idea.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
1 - Yes But I'm using the 4000NEX
2 - Yes! Don't Use iDatalink interface, use PAC SWI-CP5
3 - You can retain the back one, it's not easy, but if you use a specific interface you can keep the 3 Views as well.
But fot the Lane Assist, this is difficult.
4 - You can keep the clock adjustment on the Instrument Cluster without any problems. You have just to do a simple procedure.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by kotarou
1 - Yes But I'm using the 4000NEX
2 - Yes! Don't Use iDatalink interface, use PAC SWI-CP5
3 - You can retain the back one, it's not easy, but if you use a specific interface you can keep the 3 Views as well.
But fot the Lane Assist, this is difficult.
4 - You can keep the clock adjustment on the Instrument Cluster without any problems. You have just to do a simple procedure.
on item#3, you say its difficult, have you attempted this, do you have this functionality? Have you researched it further than I have?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
on item#3, you say its difficult, have you attempted this, do you have this functionality? Have you researched it further than I have?
I haven't researched anything for the lane assist. AxxessInterfaces have something for the civic, but I'm guessing it's not compatible.

For the rear camera the easiest way to get the camera is by using only the video signals.
But if you want to keep the 3 View mode you'll have to use an adapter like RCA-018H from Japan
ƒ³ƒŠƒAƒJƒƒ‰‚ðŽÐŠOƒiƒr‚ÅŽg‚¦‚é!! | ƒf[ƒ^ƒVƒXƒeƒ€@R-SPEC Datasystem

I had to adapt the conector for a 24 pin to use it on the Fit. The JDM GK has different conectors, but the module and signals are the same.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
I haven't researched anything for the lane assist. AxxessInterfaces have something for the civic, but I'm guessing it's not compatible.
Makes sense. It is plausible to use just the video outputs feed that go into the CANBUS from the camera itself and bypass the CANBUS all together. That means a lot of custom wire connectors and adapters The 3 view is software based, not a feature of the camera itself. Same goes for the Lanewatch, the aspect ratio and cropping of the image is all done by software of the OEM HU to show it correctly.

For all the trouble its worth, I need these features like I need a hole in the head. The backup camera alone I'd be willing to chop and dig into wires, but Lanewatch its not worth it. Since figuring out how to unbrick the OEM HU through secret menus I can live with the OEM HU and my upgraded speaker/amplifier combo.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
In fact the 3 View is not software based, I still have this feature on my 4000NEX.
You'll need a Module to switch between views. Basically it's a camera feature and if i'm not wrong it uses the Bit0 and Bit1 wires and positive Signal (low voltage) on the camera harness to switch between modes. So no CANBUS involved. (The maximum is the reverse signal).
The only aftermarket camera that I saw with this feature was a Kenwood

The lane assist is harder to me to help because there isn't this feature here. But my guess is that it needs CANBUS in order to work correctly.
On the Civic and CR-V it's easier because you don't have to remove the i-MID/Duet System Display to change radios. You'll have just to add an extra module to integrate or keep the functionality.

But on Fit GK, HR-V, City and newer hondas (I guess the New Civic as well) there is no separated screen so changing the radio will result in loss of the lane assist.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:53 AM
In fact the 3 View is not software based, I still have this feature on my 4000NEX.
You'll need a Module to switch between views. Basically it's a camera feature and if i'm not wrong it uses the Bit0 and Bit1 wires and positive Signal (low voltage) on the camera harness to switch between modes. So no CANBUS involved. (The maximum is the reverse signal).
The only aftermarket camera that I saw with this feature was a Kenwood

But on Fit GK, HR-V, City and newer hondas (I guess the New Civic as well) there is no separated screen so changing the radio will result in loss of the lane assist.
I stand corrected! :-) Why any manufacturer made these functions go through the CANBUS is beyond me. Im sure at some point a few years down the road after the system has been reverse engineered some aftermarket connector will allow aftermarket head units to use lane assist and the backup camera easily.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
CANBUS is something nice and annoying at the same time.

Instead of 200 wires for each signal, CANBUS simplifies and uses less wires.

So you have integration and monitoring but on the other hand to do some installations such as a new radio or aditional modules, it makes 10x harder.

One example is the radio Harness. On my previous GE I had The VSS, Illumination on the radio Harness. On the GK I have just the CAN High and Can Low wires.... because these signals comes from the CANBUS (VSS, Illumination and Reverse) and you need them on the Pioneer or any aftermarket unit.

I Had to use the signals from the accessory connector on the fusebox.
I'll do a diagram on the weekend to illustrate how I wired my 4000nex and I hope to help new installations.

Just remembering that my Fit is from South America, but the pinouts are basically the same from the USA model (Except the model with navigation).