Novice Stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Novice Stereo install

Looking to upgrade from the stock stereo in my '12 Fit Sport. I want to go to a double DIN DVD player (more because I like the look and fit over a single DIN). I want to maintain steering wheel controls. I'm getting quotes from local shops at around $600-700 for installation. I can buy the unit with all the necessary wiring, face plate etc from Crutchfield for about 1/2 of that. The shops make the steering wheel control addition sound like a tricky install. I've done a couple of easier stereo installs on my own vehicles several years ago, so I'm not completely out of my element, and I've seen a couple of youtube videos that'll help with the removal.

I'm leaning toward a Pioneer unit.

Am I in over my head to try and tackle this on my own? Do I really need to shell out another $300 to a shop to do all of this?

Thank you in advance for the help

Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Not at all. Crutchfield will be the best place to get your headunit. They stayed on the phone with me and guided me on how to get my steering wheel controls hooked up. Their tech support is the best.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
make sure to search and read up on how to wire the ASWC for the '12. i forgot where i found the thread but i did thank the person that found the right wire to splice. haha

i install stereo's all the time so it was easy for me. i doubt it would be too tricky even for a novice since the only tricky to remove the stock HU is the one little screw you have to undo from the bottom and walla... just pull.

other cars ive worked on i had to remove A LOT of stuff just to get to the stereo wiring.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
here's mine btw.. pioneer HU with dvd and BT. works great with my pandora-one.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
If you are able to, go with the iDatalink Maestro instead of the PAC steering wheel unit. It's much simpler, just need to plug it in to your PC to program it then hook up a few wires and you are done. the PAC unit needs to be programed after it's installed and it is a major pain in the ass!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
here's mine btw.. pioneer HU with dvd and BT. works great with my pandora-one.

I got my HU and all of the installation parts through Crutchfield. After a hiccup with the original HU, which they replaced, I'm not entirely happy with the finished dash kit. First of all, the kit they sent is flat black and the natural finish of the rest of the surrounding dash is semi-gloss. Secondly, after getting it all popped back into place, the bottom clips don't grasp at all, which leaves the install sort of flapping around at the bottom. It snaps into place at the top, but the bottom isn't grasping anything.

The above pictured, looks much more professional and factory than my finished project. I intend to call Crutchfield on this tomorrow to see if they have any resolution.
Any input?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
make sure your wire harness is tucked in nicely behind. it might be in the way of you pushing it in all the way. as far as the dash kit, this is a known problem. fitment/quality isn't quite the same as OEM. some people have sourced the actual navi dash trim from Honda and used that.