2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Steering wheel audio buttons, With aftermarket Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Adding Steering wheel audio buttons, With aftermarket Headunit

I have been reading as much as I can on this topic, and almost have everything I need. I have already installed my new head unit. A JVC KW-V830BT. Its working great. Now I would like to install the steering wheel audio buttons, with the ability to map them to different functions. I currently have a set of buttons coming from china, for the steering wheel. The part I am hanging up on, is a module to adapt the signal from the buttons to the headunit.
Is this the correct item?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Flashesbuck
I have been reading as much as I can on this topic, and almost have everything I need. I have already installed my new head unit. A JVC KW-V830BT. Its working great. Now I would like to install the steering wheel audio buttons, with the ability to map them to different functions. I currently have a set of buttons coming from china, for the steering wheel. The part I am hanging up on, is a module to adapt the signal from the buttons to the headunit.
Is this the correct item?
I havnt used that one u listed, or sure if it will work but i have tried two others...

Crux Module
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_109629_Crux-SWRHN-62D-Radio-Replacement-Interface-w-SWC-Retention-for-2003-11-Honda.html

I ordered the Crux module, which was working fine for awhile but then stopped. or at least i thought it stopped. realized it was my steering wheel buttons that were acting up. the good thing about the crux module is it is super user friendly. it is pre programmed so u flip some switches, wire it in, and call it good. the bad thing about it is, its pre programmed. so if your switches are sending a slightly different frequency, or one isnt working, it wont recognize it to send it to the head unit...and the head unit wont respond. so you are "locked" into the pre programmed settings of the module.

PAC Module
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22156_PAC-WRI-P.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campai gn=shopping-campaign-goal-optimized-car-audio-accessories&installation=&utm_keyword=%7Bkeyword%2 9&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YmW4tW93gIVRLXACh3P-gyhEAQYBCABEgLlX_D_BwE

The second module I have been using is the PAC. before realizing the steering wheel buttons were what was acting up, i swapped out the Crux for the PAC, which i had from my last car. Difference with the PAC is you have to program each button, which kinda sucks. Initially its definitely not user friendly. After 3-4 times programming it, it will become easier. This however is the benefit of the PAC, you can program any button to do any listed command. for example my "volume down" button stopped working, so i programmed its function to the "mode" button. now when i press mode, the volume turns down, kinda hack...but it functions at least.