2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel audio controls in non-nav?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Steering wheel audio controls in non-nav?

Just thought I'd throw this out there... Has anyone looked into what would be required to install the nav-style steering wheel stereo controls on a Sport? Would the head unit even take the input or is that a special connection on the nav system?

Personally I find the stereo controls to be just a little further away from the steering wheel and just a little further in general than I'd like.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:24 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by animes2k
Just thought I'd throw this out there... Has anyone looked into what would be required to install the nav-style steering wheel stereo controls on a Sport? Would the head unit even take the input or is that a special connection on the nav system?

Personally I find the stereo controls to be just a little further away from the steering wheel and just a little further in general than I'd like.

this might work only on aftermarket radios.
i don't think the stock one are equiped to handly
controls.
other than that we hope the wire are in the steering wheel
for the upgrade also.

has anyone taken the wheel off a sport non navi and seen
if there is a plug and extra wires for audio controls?

also does anyone know if we can just put the buttons
on our wheel? or do we need a navi wheel?

cause if it comes to buying a navi wheel also
it is def not worth it. IMHO

Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
This is a pretty good thread with info on a 08 Fit with steering wheel controls modded on. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ing-wheel.html It's a little long, but it's got some good info.

I don't see why it can't be done on a 09, you'll have to get a different head unit, and a PAC adapter, but it should work.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Hmm... Thanks for the link. I would really prefer an OEM solution, but if that's not an option, I'll deal with the current setup.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey guys, first post. Trying to gather some info for our next purchase.

So I've come to the conclusion that the non-navi fit has no steering wheel controls but the navi one has steering wheel controls similar to the Civic.

I personally drive an Si/navi and I love the steering wheel controls, can't live without them. I want my girl to have them as well. Question is, would it be cheaper to get a fit sport, non-navi, add a navi unit and swap the steering wheel for one that has audio controls, or would it just be cheaper to get the Sport with OEM navi?

Is the OEM navi the exact same as the Civic OEM navi?

Thanks!!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Having not researched all the parts involved with a swap as you describe it, I'd guess just as a matter of hassle, labor AND parts that you'd be better off buying the Fit WITH Navi and get the bonus VSA at the same time.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Leonard1818
Hey guys, first post. Trying to gather some info for our next purchase.

So I've come to the conclusion that the non-navi fit has no steering wheel controls but the navi one has steering wheel controls similar to the Civic.

I personally drive an Si/navi and I love the steering wheel controls, can't live without them. I want my girl to have them as well. Question is, would it be cheaper to get a fit sport, non-navi, add a navi unit and swap the steering wheel for one that has audio controls, or would it just be cheaper to get the Sport with OEM navi?

Is the OEM navi the exact same as the Civic OEM navi?

Thanks!!
Its better to get the navi unit with the car and its what, $1850 for the whole unit. You're looking at ~5k (3.7k for navi unit and 1k for steering wheel, assuming you're getting the parts from majestichonda).

Civic and Fit are somewhat similar. Both made by alpine, but the Civic has XM radio and has a different software.

Last edited by Neebs; 11-19-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I meant more along the lines of would it be cheaper to do the following:

-purchase fit sport
-purchase aftermarket navi unit (like Pioneer)
-purchase steering wheel with controls
-get it all installed/hooked up.

--OR--
-purchase fit sport with navi

The former would provide you with a better navi system (since most aftermarket navi units are better) but would most likely cost more...

I think it'd almost be best just to get the OEM navi for just under 2K. I forgot that the navi package also comes with VSA... I love VSA it's saved my ass a handful of times.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'd say the least hassle would be getting the Fit Sport w/Navi.

You might be able to save a few $$$ by buying the Honda Audio Controls like in this photo

But from what I've been reading in the previous link I posted in this thread, you'd probably have to get a seperate HU, and a PAC adapter to make the controls work. I don't think it's worth the hassle. Especially with the VSA, NAV, and steering wheel audio controls all on there from the factory directly.

This above pic is from the JDM GD's but I'm sure that part will be available for the USDM GE8's. Link is from http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...volkey=&page=3

Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Leonard1818
-purchase fit sport with navi
I say do this.

Might have done this myself, but it's too late now. I guess I'll just deal with it. Heck, I don't even have a functioning stereo at the moment. Replacement is scheduled for Friday (two weeks to order a new one!).

Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
It's not a simple matter of swapping wheels. The '09 Sport/navi runs off an entirely different wire harness than the non-navi cars, you'd have to tear down half the dash if not all of it to run the new harness, and even then the new harness may be incompatible with the non-navi head unit.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member