General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM
steering wheel controls

Newbie here with hopefully a stupid question. If I replace the original dvd navi system with aftermarket will it still allow the use of the in steering wheel controls?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
u will have to buy a steering wheel control interface such as this

Axxess ASWC Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com

it works great with my pioneer avh-8400bh.

u can also buy it on amazon or ebay, but i was willing to pay the premium price from crutchfield. i had alot of trouble wiring it and crutchfield tech support was a great help.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the new dvd unit has to have a remote-in compatibility and as noted above, you need to get a separate remote module. i use PAC and Peripheral on my cars, but Axxess appears to have fixed their flaws and now works as intended so in the future, i would try that.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
u will have to buy a steering wheel control interface such as this

Axxess ASWC Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com

it works great with my pioneer avh-8400bh.

u can also buy it on amazon or ebay, but i was willing to pay the premium price from crutchfield. i had alot of trouble wiring it and crutchfield tech support was a great help.
I purchased that exact one, have not installed it yet...what confused me is that Crutchfield says it will work on my aftermarket HU but not on my Honda Fit... so i asked sales advisor who told me it will not work on my honda either...yet i read a thread here that says they installed it and works fine.

So hopefully it works fine, though it is confusing when a site like that says it will not.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
it works. u will have to tap into two wires from the vehicle harness to make it work properly. i know the website says it doesn't work, but their tech support guys told me what i needed to do to get it to work. make sure u buy a soldering iron, they won't guide u more unless u solder. they say that the unit is picky and it needs to be soldered.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I just installed the Axxess ASWC on my 2013 Fit Sport MT to go with my new Pioneer AVH-X2500BT. As stated above, the instructions from Axxess (which were for 2012 because they don't yet have instructions up for 2013, but it's the same car) said to connect the Gray/Red wire from the ASWC unit to Pin 16 of the cars harness, and to ground Pin 5 of the cars harness. DOESN'T WORK!!

Also as stated above, there are no wires in Pins 16 & 5. Someone above said you have to insert them into the empty Pins, but that doesn't make any sense -- how would the unit get a signal from an empty Pin?!? Instead, I searched for and found out somewhere on this forum that there are 2 steering wheel control wires, one pink and one white. Connect the Gray/Red wire of the ASWC unit to the Pink wire on the cars original harness and connect the white wire to ground.

I should have taken note of their numbered positions, but I didn't. I looked at the harness and saw 2 pink wires and one white wire -- I tried the pink wire that is adjacent to the white wire, and it worked. I used PosiTaps to connect the ASWC to those wires. You have to get the small PosiTaps, which are hard to find even on the internet. I got mine from WhiteHorse Gear, a motorcycle supply retailer. Be sure to select the 18-24 gauge ones -- they are red. I used no soldering, just positaps, and then I connected the ground and 12v wires to the same junction as the ground and 12v wires from the harness to the new stereo. In order to do this without cutting any stock wires, I connected the white wire to ground by using a spare piece of speaker wire that I tapped into the white wire and connected the other end to ground.

Hope this helps someone.

Hope this helps.