Hands free doesn't recognize stored phone #s bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Hands free doesn't recognize stored phone #s bluetooth

I have a 4-month old 2015 Fit Silver LX CVT which I love, and an iPhone 6+ which I love.

Mostly i press the steering wheel phone button, the computer says, 'say a command;' I say, 'phone Carol mobile,' and everything works great.

Sometimes it doesn't, and the computer says #00 add more numbers, or something like that, so it can dial the number..

When I shut the car and restart it, the problem is fixed, but I can't do that on the road while driving.
-----------------

Another issue is that sometimes when the phone call does work, the volume is totally low, and I can't make it louder. Usually the volume is high enough, and can be controlled by the radio volume dial.

Do I need to take it in for service, or what is going on?

thanks in advance, Etana

Last edited by etana; 05-14-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: blah blah
Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 PM
That is really weird. I'm on an android so I don't know that I have much info on the iPhone side. Only thing I've run into is that some of the contacts didn't bring a name over with the phone number.

Worth checking the settings section for "automatically sync phone data" and make sure it is set to "yes".

Edit: I've also found things move much smoother if you have BT enabled on your phone before starting the car.

Last edited by thedrummingfish; 05-14-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:30 PM
I have this same problem except it almost always does not work. I end up using speed dial buttons on the head unit.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I think I didn't explain clearly enough.
I have a few family/friends who I have programmed into the hands free, such as
"phone Carol mobile" and I programmed in the phone number. I press the button on the steering wheel, and usually I can at the prompt say, "phone Carol mobile" and the call goes through.

But sometimes it doesn't, and instead the computer prompt says, "#00 dial the rest of the number" or something like that.

So that's one part of the problem. I do know that I can use Siri on my iPhone by holding down the home button on my iPhone to have Siri call my other contacts that I didn't program into the Honda Fit Hands Free.

The other part of the problem, is that usually the volume is fine from the caller, or the person I phone, but sometimes the volume is way down. I know the radio dial on the left can adjust the volume usually, but on the times when the caller is on low volume, I cannot make the volume louder.

I tried turning off the car and restarting it, and the Hands Free and volume worked. But I can't be driving along on the highway and stop and turn off the car to reset the Hands Free.

I phoned Honda Service but they just said, 'bring the car in.' I googled but couldn't find anything relevant.

NOTE: I always have bluetooth enabled on my iPhone.

> settings section for "automatically sync phone data" and make sure it is set to "yes"
I haven't set this up yet for the car to access my contacts, I may not do this at all. I just manually entered 6 contacts phone numbers and the recording "phone Carol mobile" etc.

thanks, Etana

Last edited by etana; 05-17-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 AM
You can use Siri through bt if you hold the center button on the phone controls on the steering wheel. It sounds like you have a lot of competing inputs between bt audio, contacts on car, making calls over the phone through bt as a "third party" instead of directly accessing the phone book on your phone, volume of your phone (typically multiple settings for bt, media, call, etc). Just my 2 cents :-)

Last edited by thedrummingfish; 05-17-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thedrummingfish
You can use Siri through bt if you hold the center button on the phone controls on the steering wheel. It sounds like you have a lot of competing inputs between bt audio, contacts on car, making calls over the phone through bt as a "third party" instead of directly accessing the phone book on your phone, volume of your phone (typically multiple settings for bt, media, call, etc). Just my 2 cents :-)
I tried unsuccessfully to hold the center button on the phone controls on the steering wheel. Nothing happened. My iPhone 6+ IS connected bluetooth to the car. Can you explain how to use Siri using the controls on the steering wheel. That would work fine for me. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Hmm I have an EX so maybe a trim difference. I'm on android so all I get is a sad little "this smartphone is not supported message", but I read about it in the manual...

Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by thedrummingfish
Hmm I have an EX so maybe a trim difference. I'm on android so all I get is a sad little "this smartphone is not supported message", but I read about it in the manual...
Yes, Siri doesn't work on the LX

Old 05-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I have an iPhone 5s, and I have noticed this problem. Have you tried the age old answer.....turn the PHONE itself off?

I drive a 2015 LX MT so hands-free is the only way I am able to operate or do anything. When I have syncing and BT issues with my phone i just restart the damn phone and everything works perfectly fine again.

I found its sometimes a matter of having too much backround apps operating on the phone.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tway
I have an iPhone 5s, and I have noticed this problem. Have you tried the age old answer.....turn the PHONE itself off?

I found its sometimes a matter of having too much backround apps operating on the phone.
Yes, when I restart the phone, it fixes it, but I have to pull over while driving to do that. I don't think the background apps would be an issue, but I'll look into that too.