OEM cameras with new HU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 PM
OEM cameras with new HU?

I am looking to do some modest upgrades to my 2015 EX’s audio system.After reviewing a bunch of threads on here, I was thinking of adding a small Clarion amp and 4 Infinity Kappa speakers as per a thread suggestion in this subforum.
However, I wound up with this plan after checking out replacement HUs.I was originally thinking of just replacing the HU and factory speakers, however, in looking through Crutchfield’s website, it looked like (at least for the 8 or so that I checked out), that all said you cannot maintain your factory backup camera with the new HU.However, I just tripped across an unrelated thread on this forum where people were talking about not experiencing the lane watch glitch on a non-factory HU, so this leads me to believe that one can replace the HU while retaining the backup and lane watch camera functionality.Is this possible, and if so, how?Do I need a specific HU or adapter?
Any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM
I too am interested in this. Since there is no development on UNbricking the firmware of the OEM HU I cannot expect anything will progress on that subject.

Lanewatch is a unique feature only to the newer hondas. While many aftermarket HU's will support backup cameras, my research has shown that some HU will offer multiple video inputs, the adapter required from OEM to the HU is not available. It will have to be custom fabricated. The guidlines are also tied to a steering wheel sensor. Some HU will not interface with this. Also an adapter is required to work with the steering wheel controls.

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock speakers and tweeters and adding a small but removeable subwoofer enclosure. Not looking to go crazy. If there was an easy way to keep the camera features and upgrade the HU great, but if not ehh, the OEM HU sucks but decent speakers and tweeters won't make it as bad.