Stock Battery enough for an Upgraded car audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Stock Battery enough for an Upgraded car audio

Has any of you guys upgraded your stock battery when you upgraded your stereo? The stock battery seem awfully small and what is the alternator size for our car?

I am ordering a XS Power to put in place of stock battery. Thinking about putting in two 400 watt amp.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by Sqeclipse
Has any of you guys upgraded your stock battery when you upgraded your stereo? The stock battery seem awfully small and what is the alternator size for our car?

I am ordering a XS Power to put in place of stock battery. Thinking about putting in two 400 watt amp.
The battery will crank a starter, so handling the momentary 65A demand of the amps shouldn't have an effect on it.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Unless you plan on running the system with the car off the battery that is in the car is sufficient.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM
I believe the alternator is a 90amp, and unless you need more reserve battery power with the car off, you should be fine. I see a lot of guys will upgrade the alternator to a HO version, something like 110-160amp alternators are available over the 90 amp stock OEM.

Be aware that the alternator has an ELD unit installed, meaning it will not directly respond to voltage drop, but respond based on the load of accessories running in the vehicle. I believe there is a way to bypass this and have the alternator work traditionally by the voltage drop referenced at the output terminal. The ELD was meant to save fuel and extend the life of the alternator during idle and low demand conditions.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
I think I do remember reading about an ELD bypass. Not for a fit but another Honda.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I believe the alternator is a 90amp, and unless you need more reserve battery power with the car off, you should be fine. I see a lot of guys will upgrade the alternator to a HO version, something like 110-160amp alternators are available over the 90 amp stock OEM.

Be aware that the alternator has an ELD unit installed, meaning it will not directly respond to voltage drop, but respond based on the load of accessories running in the vehicle. I believe there is a way to bypass this and have the alternator work traditionally by the voltage drop referenced at the output terminal. The ELD was meant to save fuel and extend the life of the alternator during idle and low demand conditions.

You are the very person I would have thought to ask the question had I wanted to boost my audio system ... that ain't gonna happen. My son told me a long time ago, "if it's too loud, Dad, you're too old." I've seen/heard some cars with systems that could move the car without the engine being on.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
You are the very person I would have thought to ask the question had I wanted to boost my audio system ... that ain't gonna happen. My son told me a long time ago, "if it's too loud, Dad, you're too old." I've seen/heard some cars with systems that could move the car without the engine being on.
Im all for good quality sounding system, but im not gonna go crazy with the audio system. If they made decent drop in speakers for the doors, and I was able to easily splice in a line out for a removable subwoofer I'd say I'd do it. Being that I need my back cargo area for cargo its not something I'd want to permanently mount in the car.

I could always repurpose a spare powered 15" speaker with a lowpass filter from the head unit and leave it in there to crank when i want haha!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
I put a Kinetik battery in mine. it's 13 volt.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Exide

I have a high end system in my car and also changed the battery to a full size 51R. The battery fits in the space perfectly and the only mod I did was to the battery tray which only took 3mins to cut and bend. The whole job took 15mins very simple. Here is the link to the battery. I will be posting my audio build very soon so look out for it.

Amazon.com: Exide Edge FP-AGM51R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Exide Edge FP-AGM51R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery: Automotive

Old 08-13-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Im all for good quality sounding system, but im not gonna go crazy with the audio system. If they made decent drop in speakers for the doors, and I was able to easily splice in a line out for a removable subwoofer I'd say I'd do it. Being that I need my back cargo area for cargo its not something I'd want to permanently mount in the car.

I could always repurpose a spare powered 15" speaker with a lowpass filter from the head unit and leave it in there to crank when i want haha!
I actually have a entire system installed with two monster amp and a 10in sub woofer without using any trunk space. Also stock head unit

Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by payluder
I actually have a entire system installed with two monster amp and a 10in sub woofer without using any trunk space. Also stock head unit
Pictures please?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Pictures please?
Photos coming up soon. Im trying to gather as much as I can but I wont be posting them here. You will need to look for my post that I just made.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by payluder
Photos coming up soon. Im trying to gather as much as I can but I wont be posting them here. You will need to look for my post that I just made.
Will do, I'm thinking of upgrading the stock speakers and tweeters but leaving the stock HU.