Question on speaker install, front doors - use old ones as mounting brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Question on speaker install, front doors - use old ones as mounting brackets?

I have a new '16 LX. When I replaced the front speakers on my GD3, I used the original speakers as brackets for new ones by cutting out the paper cones and mounting the new speaker in the frame of the old one.

Will this work with the GK as well? Otherwise I can get the Scosche adapter rings, but from what I'm reading here, these are not an exact match for the opening and require a little persuasion to fit, and are fairly thick in addition.

The new speakers have a 63mm mounting depth. I'm not worried about chopping up my OEM speakers to get the new ones in there.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:28 PM
Im assuming you saw my thread. The scorche rings will work just fine. Be sure to put some foam around the ring so it dont rattle against the door frame.

Cheers.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:19 PM
What are the speakers? My installer didn't use my OEM speakers but made rings from wood. It also reduces vibration.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a speaker set. Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5 coax + the Scosche adapter rings. Should be here in the next week or so.

I had the Imagines in my GD3 and they were awesome, can't say enough good things about them. Unfortunately, they stayed with my totaled GD3 that went to my ins. co, so I had to get another set.

Now the only question is do I mount them as coaxials, or do I separate the tweeters? I'll probably wind up doing the install myself if I settle on coaxials, but I might want some professional help if I put the tweeters in the dash, as I've not attempted this before.

Last edited by bargainguy; 02-28-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
I decided to keep the tweeters in the coax position. Getting to the stock speakers was not particularly difficult.

1. Remove screw from door pull.

2. Remove switch cover from armrest by prying from the front corner first, then working your way around the outside. Remove the quick connects by squeezing the tabs. Remove screw revealed by lifting switch cover - it's toward the back and just inside the top.

3. Starting anywhere you can get a trim tool in - bottom or sides - pry the door panel off. It helps to have another trim tool to work in conjunction with the first, running them side by side. (I got a $7.99 blue plastic trim tool removal kit from harbor frieght, it worked fine. The thick tools worked best for the door panel.) Once you get a couple clips off, you can just use your hands to pop the rest.

4. It's easier to keep the clips in the door panel and not the door if at all possible. You can see in the pic one green clip at the bottom stayed in the door itself. Taking that clip out of the door and putting it back in the door panel makes it easier to put the door panel back on securely.

5. Removing the stock speaker: Holding the speaker to the door frame is one screw at speaker top and two tabs at the 4:30 and 7:30 positions that the bracket hooks into. After removing the screw, I took a rubber mallet and rapped the stock speaker bracket a couple times from the bottom to free it. Lift up first, then out. Can't lift out first because of the tabs.

The Imagine speakers needed considerable drilling of the Scosche brackets to get it all together nicely, but it all worked in the end.

A couple pix during the removal in case anyone is interested.

Screw removed from door pull, switch cover lifted. There is one more screw to remove once the switch cover is lifted - it's toward the back and near the top of the switch cover.

Door panel removed. Notice retained green clip at bottom. Take this out and reinstall it to the door panel before putting the panel back on.

Last edited by bargainguy; 03-15-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Update: Today, I ordered another set of 6.5" Hybrid Audio speakers, the Mirus, for the rear doors. Like the Imagine, these are very high efficiency - 92.6 db. Ordered another set of Scosche brackets and speaker connectors to hook 'em up.

I'll put them in sometime next week after everything gets here. Then the big decision - whether to keep the LX head unit or go aftermarket. Pros and cons to both. Just upgrading to the Imagines in the front doors made a huge difference; I don't anticipate the upgrade to the Mirus in the rears to be quite as dramatic.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Everything arrived early, so I got the Mirus installed today in the rear doors.

First impression: Made more of a difference than I expected. I guess I'm hearing more of the rear speakers than I thought I was.

Really makes me realize how lacking the original speakers are in comparison. Not that they were bad on their own, but the difference in having all four speakers upgraded to huge magnet, high sensitivity speakers from Hybrid Audio borders on shocking.

The biggest difference is that these speakers, with the big magnets, are much more effortless in the bass, as well as tighter and more damped, no overhang. I don't listen to music at ear-bleeding levels, but even at quieter levels, the difference is quite noticeable.

Midrange is clearer, voices in particular being more distinct. Treble is much smoother and has better imaging, even with the speakers mounted low, and not fatiguing in the least.

I'll have more to say once I live with them for awhile, but I'm a happy camper.

For anyone who wants to know what I paid: I found the Imagines new on ebay for $210 shipped ($320 new from a dealer), Mirus also new on ebay for $130 shipped ($180 new from a dealer), another $30 for all four Scosche brackets and Honda plug adapters. So the grand total was $370 and I installed it all myself, which saved another $150 or so over having a pro do it. Ebay made for the biggest saving, and being able to find new sets saved $160 over buying them from a dealer. But I had to wait for these to come along, as they don't come to ebay very often.

These are limited distribution speakers. You won't find them at a Best Buy or Crutchfield. There are a few retailers, like 12V Electronics in Crystal Ridge, IL where I got my first set of Imagines on my GD3 long ago, and there is a shop in Minneapolis called AI Tint & Car Audio that carries these. Other than ebay and those two places, I don't know of any other dealers, although I'm sure others exist.

Anyone who has any questions on these, fire away.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
My LX doesn't have the white stuff I see under the plastic sheet. My LX has just a clear plastic sheet. Can you tell me what the white stuff is, bargainguy?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
The white stuff is insulation. It's on both the door and the removable door panel. On the door it's on the side of the plastic towards the interior of the car. If it were on the other side, it would get wet when rainwater drained down the interior of the door panel.

Another pic here.

Last edited by ToddF; 10-10-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF
The white stuff is insulation. It's on both the door and the removable door panel. On the door it's on the side of the plastic towards the interior of the car. If it were on the other side, it would get wet when rainwater drained down the interior of the door panel.

Another pic here.
Apparently it didn't come from the factory that way because I have the same model, an LX, and it doesn't have it. Could you tell me what material you used, how you attached it, and how much it helped with noise, and with heating-cooling? I couldn't find anything about it on the linked-to page.

Last edited by nomenclator; 10-16-2017 at 05:23 PM.