3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Rear air shock absorber mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
@JHN,

here are the pictures and video to follow. You made a good point about the air shock being shorter overall than OEM. So I went ahead and extended the upper stem. I put loctite on all the nuts so it don't go nowhere. I also was able to reuse the stock bump stop by removing it from the plastic dust cover. The extended upper stem allowed me to get the extended length exactly equal to OEM.

I actually used the MA811's instead of the MA793. The MA793 is an acceptable substitute if one were to use them without the bump stop and without extending the upper stem. Using them with the extended stud and oem bump stop will make the extended length about 1.25" longer than the OEM extended length. This normally isn't a big deal, but if you were to hit a really deep pot hole, the extended travel could cause the spring to fall out of the seating. Again, it will work, but its all up to preference. The positive is you can raise your car a bit higher up (an inch more) if one were to choose.

40PSI in the air shock to level off a 700lb payload.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 04-12-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Update: Converting Air lines from 1/8" to 1/4"

After a few months of driving, these shocks are such an upgrade from the stock shocks. Occasionally towing has been far more convenient than keeping a pickup truck as a secondary utility vehicle.

The AK18 air line kit the Monroe 811 comes with is not what I would call the best choice for air lines. The plastic tee, schrader valve, and compression nuts are questionable reliability for the long term. Not to mention that any type of air suspension sold today (least in the states) uses STANDARDIZED 1/4" air line . I discuss below the necessary parts to convert this air shock product line to 1/4" fittings and make it MUCH easier to source parts and have it be comparable with other air suspension mods in the future.

The Monroe MA series has a male thread port for the air line. The thread is a JIC 7/16-20. You will need a F/F adapter from that thread to a 1/4"-18 NPT female to adapt to standard air line fittings. See link below.

EATON AEROQUIP Hose Adapter,NPT to JIC,7/16-20 x 1/4-18 - Hydraulic Hose Adapters and Plugs - 4VPT3|2242-4-4s - Grainger Industrial Supply

After you install this adapter the sky is the limit. I am using PTC-->1/4" NPT fittings along with PTC brass tee, and PTC flow control valve to negate the "see-saw" effect. 1/4" air line is super easy to source locally. Depending how one would want to setup their shocks is completely up to the user. I may at some point get the Airlift 72000 kit. Looks very slick but a bit pricey. Regardless, I'd love to have it!

Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 72000 Wireless Air Leveling Compressor: Automotive

Old 06-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Nice mod. Don't know which way I will go but I had air bags on a Ford Fusion and they worked great also. Found them for the Fit here.

Suspension Enhancement for 2015 Honda Fit | etrailer.com

Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wallygator
Nice mod. Don't know which way I will go but I had air bags on a Ford Fusion and they worked great also. Found them for the Fit here.

Suspension Enhancement for 2015 Honda Fit | etrailer.com
Thank you! It will depend on what you haul. I find the shocks are better than the air bag spring kit you sent me. Though I did consider it too. The only other rear suspension mod I may do is installing an anti-sway bar to help with cornering and reduce body roll. But since I'm not doing donuts or racing my FIT, I may just skip it.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:15 PM
do you think I could install similar shocks on the front too?
it would be nice to be able to raise the car from time to time... especially during heavy snow in Canadian winter.

Last edited by Dr1v3r; 06-17-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Just a thought,, air shocks shouldn't share the tube to fill the air system they should be separate and checked with a good gauge, if you siamese the pipe to one fitting they can pump each other up on rough roads and cause some serious shimmy..

Old 06-18-2016, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dr1v3r
do you think I could install similar shocks on the front too?
it would be nice to be able to raise the car from time to time... especially during heavy snow in Canadian winter.
Not sure if Monroe makes any coil over air shocks. If they do let me know. Id be interested in the same mod. Thats where i can justify a 4 way manifold and digital valve system to manage it

Old 06-18-2016, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Just a thought,, air shocks shouldn't share the tube to fill the air system they should be separate and checked with a good gauge, if you siamese the pipe to one fitting they can pump each other up on rough roads and cause some serious shimmy..
I have since this thread separated the tee fitting to separate fitting with 1/4" tube and PTC connectors. I separate using a shut off tee valve to prevent air flowing to the other shock and it helps a lot. Not a lot of shimmy but a lot of seesaw effect despite the torsion beam thats OEM to the car.