3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Rear Disc Brakes for the GK

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Unique Power International’s response to my question:

Yes, the rotor is the center of all parameters, it is unique.
The caliper is redesigned and modified from O.E. caliper, all parts could be found from the market.
The pad is the same as Nissan Altima, Teana, Tiida, Fuga, X-Trail, Rogue........rear.
I'll put your email address on my waiting list and inform you when our stock is ready.
Thank you very much!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
So if a ham-fisted guy at a tire shop improperly installs and over-torques your rear lug nuts and your rotors warp, you're in a bind until you can get replacements from Taiwan.

Last edited by Alfa38; 04-17-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I would love to get my hands on one of those "unique" rotors so I could start diving through rotor books that tell hat height, diameter, etc... It if was only a matter of turning a couple of millimeters off the OD, that would be awesome. I have doubts they had custom hat heights made, but that could be the reason for a modified OE caliper to adjust for being centered over the rotor. hmmmm.....

Off-road guys have been creating brackets for stuff like this forever. I've even put 3/4 chevy front brakes on a rear Dana 70 axle that had drums and came off a Dodge.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
This may have been said, but based on the casting number, 1990 CRX Si. The disk seems to look close, but the disc is a world were every millimeter matters.. I am tempted to order and put a few items on my account at NAPA just to get to the bottom of this. Arrow points at my concern - Is this a factory bracket that mounts where the drum backing plate would normally be or is this the flange that was holding the backing plate?

Lastly and not sure it has been mentioned..... how bad is the ABS going to freak out, maybe the data is all from hub assembly. The fluid quantities are likely different. I would be curious about proportioning valves between the US and Japanese Fits.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
I'd like to see if the calipers and brackets from the HRV will bolt up to the Fit rear axle. From the parts diagrams it looks like a similar bolt pattern but turned 90 degrees for some reason. If they can be swapped side to side or flipped somehow, it would be great to be able to use factory parts. Especially if it would allow use of a Honda disc, never have to worry about ordering a custom job from overseas.

Really wish I had the free time to look into it myself.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Helios
Resurrecting to discuss something I stumbled on last night. Unique Power International, a Taiwanese company that specializes in DRUM IN ROTOR brake conversions. They make pieces that retain the drum e-brake functionality, and then a rotor bolts over top. Rotor looks a little thin, but otherwise everything looks solid. I sent an email and they let me know the kit is currently out of stock, but cost is $600 USD with $150 to ship to me in Ohio. I sent a follow up asking questions about service (i.e. are caliper and brake pads something I can replace easily from a standard model, how much for spare rotors, etc).

Here's the video I stumbled on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJcc7MWfNq0
Helio's, any updates/new news on your mission to go for the Drum In Rotor route?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
Lastly and not sure it has been mentioned..... how bad is the ABS going to freak out, maybe the data is all from hub assembly. The fluid quantities are likely different. I would be curious about proportioning valves between the US and Japanese Fits.
Yes, proportioning would be a definite concern. The front brakes are supposed to do most of the work.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, the GD and GE guys have been doing this conversion for years with zero proportioning issues.

Proportioning is electronically controlled by the ABS/Brake distribution module that is underhood. It seems to take the guess work out of any of this.

The only thing that some have reported when upgrading to larger front calipers along with swapping to large rear calipers is a softer pedal. In the case of the GD, that can be solved by using an old Accord master cylinder. Not sure what the GK would need, but that's only after increasing the fluid demands front and rear.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
FWIW, the GD and GE guys have been doing this conversion for years with zero proportioning issues.

Proportioning is electronically controlled by the ABS/Brake distribution module that is underhood. It seems to take the guess work out of any of this.

The only thing that some have reported when upgrading to larger front calipers along with swapping to large rear calipers is a softer pedal. In the case of the GD, that can be solved by using an old Accord master cylinder. Not sure what the GK would need, but that's only after increasing the fluid demands front and rear.
Thanks. Interesting.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I'd like to see if the calipers and brackets from the HRV will bolt up to the Fit rear axle. From the parts diagrams it looks like a similar bolt pattern but turned 90 degrees for some reason. If they can be swapped side to side or flipped somehow, it would be great to be able to use factory parts. Especially if it would allow use of a Honda disc, never have to worry about ordering a custom job from overseas.

Really wish I had the free time to look into it myself.
That's something I've been curious about given they're basically the same platform. But somebody would have to be willing to do an experiment lol.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit419
That's something I've been curious about given they're basically the same platform. But somebody would have to be willing to do an experiment lol.
Here, I've saved you some time. Just click on the parts, have them delivered, and see how they fit.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...brake-2wd.html

Old 04-16-2019, 03:56 PM

they've done brackets for the 07-08 fit disc conversion.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Anyone interested in getting in on this?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Did they give you an estimated cost for the ten units?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Did they give you an estimated cost for the ten units?
"
The kits would run 90 USD plus shipping each IF we can do it.We would examine a Fit of that vintage first before committing.

Mark(Scarebird) "

This is just for a bracket but I want to make it happen.

I wonder if the JDM Odyssey master cylinder with 1990 civic booster people put on the GE works on the GK

Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Onewheelofsteel
"
The kits would run 90 USD plus shipping each IF we can do it.We would examine a Fit of that vintage first before committing.

Mark(Scarebird) "

I wonder if the JDM Odyssey master cylinder with 1990 civic booster people put on the GE works on the GK

Count me in

Old 04-26-2019, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Onewheelofsteel
"

Mark(Scarebird) "

That's a good price, but I'll live with the discs. After the $90 plus shipping, you'll have to buy the brake parts.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
count me in

Old 04-30-2019, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
I think im game as well... tag me once u have 10 interest and i will send $$$

Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 AM
On top of the 10, they would have to see if it's possible. I have faith though.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brakes for the GK