3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

TPMS Delete Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS Delete Question

As a Fit owner (coming from VW) I have a question about the TPMS and how to delete it.
On VW's the TPMS can be deleted by using a specific diagnostic software (VCDS).
For the VW TPMS delete procedure:VWVortex.com - Want to disable your TMPS, look no further...

My question: Does there exist software that would mimic the Honda diagnostic system ?

I'm willing to bet that the Honda instrument cluster and the TPMS control module can be recoded to the same configuration as Hondas in other countries.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Why the need? There are no tpms unit per tire/wheel for GKs. Its built in to the abs sensor now.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
Why the need? There are no tpms unit per tire/wheel for GKs. Its built in to the abs sensor now.
Let me ask for some clarification.
As you saying that for the 2015 Fit that there is no pressure sensor inside the wheel/ tire ?

Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by HermTDI
Let me ask for some clarification.
As you saying that for the 2015 Fit that there is no pressure sensor inside the wheel/ tire ?
Nope!! TPMS is read off ABS sensor.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
So that means you won't get that TOMS light when changing wheels? That's great news

Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
This leaves me a little confused. If the wheels don't have a pressure sensor to transmit the tire pressure. How does this ABS/ pressure sensor work ?

This leads me to ask my next question. I want to install a set of 16" wheels on my Fit LX will I not get the TPMS indicator light on the instrument cluster ?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
This leaves me a little confused. If the wheels don't have a pressure sensor to transmit the tire pressure. How does this ABS/ pressure sensor work ?
it is uses the abs sensors to read wheel speed, then calculate that the tire going flat is rotating slower, thus it illuminates the TPMS light. the system is VERY slow to react. i swapped my taller winter wheels earlier this week and it took 50 miles before the TPMS light came on. Honda now uses a system similiar to what bmw's used a decade ago.

This leads me to ask my next question. I want to install a set of 16" wheels on my Fit LX will I not get the TPMS indicator light on the instrument cluster ?
imho, the tpms light will come on after some driving. at that point, you reset the light using the reset button on the lower left part of the dash. that will zero the tpms, and force the system to recognize your new wheel size (if you changed tire OD).

that is the one saving grace about the Fit tpms system. we do not have to have the stealer do it, we can reset it ourselves.

i was driving very aggressively one day (going to the hospital), and the TPMS light came on. i was sliding around corners, and the TPMS light came on. the car interpreted the sliding as one of the tires going flat, and gave me a light false trip...

Last edited by rodney; 03-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 PM
it measures the RPM of the tires and if they don't all match (within a certain perimeter) it sets off the warning. It's really annoying because with this system instead of knowing I have a pressure below a certain threshold, you just know that one tire is turning slightly faster / slower than the rest. I've had my car for a month with just over 1k miles and I've had to reset mine 3 times already. I'm guessing once temperatures settle out a bit it should be less often.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Still, it makes it MUCH more affordable if you want to run a different set of tires/wheels in the winter. No extra set of sensors to buy, and no trips to the dealer to recalibrate the system. On my GE, I had to have a sensor replaced, and it wasn't cheap.

The downside is that you may have to reset the system more frequently.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Remember that TPMS was forced upon manufacturers by the feds. They're going to accomplish it as inexpensively as possible, in terms of initial cost and warranty issues.

It's a lot cheaper to make a software change to the ABS system than it is to add four sensors and transmitters, a receiver, and another computer to interpret the signals. Also, since each of these added components is subject to individual failure they will inevitably increase the number of warranty claims and reduced reliability ratings.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Remember that TPMS was forced upon manufacturers by the feds. They're going to accomplish it as inexpensively as possible, in terms of initial cost and warranty issues.
+1

It doesn't actually do anything to help the car: it's an idiot light because people not only don't check their tire pressures, they don't even notice a tire lower than the rest!

I'm shocked at how many manufacturers went with elaborate setups instead of a software version of There, I made your damn tire pressure monitor!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
it's an idiot light because people not only don't check their tire pressures, they don't even notice a tire lower than the rest!
Idiot light for idiot people?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Cool info, thanks.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
i was driving very aggressively one day (going to the hospital), and the TPMS light came on. i was sliding around corners, and the TPMS light came on. the car interpreted the sliding as one of the tires going flat, and gave me a light false trip...
That is what happened to me when I took it on a spirited drive in the mountains and also on a wet day. Double checked my tire pressure each time and just did a reset of the TPMS.