3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

OEM tire life

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like the experiences with the OEMs are all over the place. Here's mine. I have the Bridgestones, and at my last service appointment a few days ago, at which my car had just short of 30,000 miles, the adviser told me to expect to need to replace them at my next appointment as they are quite worn. I don't have the inspection sheet with me at the moment and I can't recall the exact tread measurement. I don't plan on buying another set of Bridgestones. The same thing happened to me with my last car, a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, where the OEM Kumho (forget which exact model) lasted slightly better than 30,000 miles. I suppose the manufacturers of lower priced cars are all putting short-lived crap on them. I've had these rotated and balanced regularly, and had one alignment. The tread is wearing evenly, and my route isn't anything that should be wearing tires particularly quickly.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:08 PM
OEM Bridgestones, Rotate every 5,000 miles.
29500 miles and mine are at 5/32s all around

Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 PM
I noticed LX has different brand/model tires from EX and has a longer tread life.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:11 PM
The LX has smaller wheels and taller tires, which makes for longer life.

It's not surprising that some get twice the life from their tires than others. Drive nothing but straight-ahead freeways at moderate speeds and you might get 60K. Drive around cloverleaf ramps like they are skid pads and you might get 10K.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
smaller wheels, yes. taller tires? no.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Practically speaking, how often should a person get their tires balanced? Is it advisable to rotate tires without checking the balance?

Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
I don't balance the tires unless rotating and alignment doesn't cure the shakes. My last set of tires on my 4Runner I got 60k just by rotations and alignments. I have to admit that the wear was a little uneven on some tires but nothing too crazy.

I just rotated the tires on my Fit with 15k on it. I thought it was odd that the recommendation was to rotate at 10K miles by the MM.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
It rained all day Saturday (Halloween tradition around here) and I noticed my OEM Firestones doing some major slippage. Without VSA it was almost comical, esp. on launch. My odometer flipped to 6K the other day and I'm now wondering if the tires will even hold until the car's 36K warranty is up. Really looking forward to winter.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

It's not surprising that some get twice the life from their tires than others. Drive nothing but straight-ahead freeways at moderate speeds and you might get 60K. Drive around cloverleaf ramps like they are skid pads and you might get 10K.
What do you mean by moderate speed 70 mph?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Proper tire inflation

Originally Posted by mike410b
Are you guys rotating? Getting alignments
I also wonder if those who are having excessive wear are keeping proper tire inflation?

Front 33 PSI, Rear 32 PSI

As for my 2015 Fit EX w/CVT the data is 7075 miles, Firestone tires, Front 7/32, Rear 6/32.

I had the tires rotated on the one year since purchase (at 7075 miles) for $12.95 at the dealer. I also had the first Oil/Filter change done for free. I sure do love those dealer coupons.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
22k miles on firestones and I have still not done tire rotation. Looks like I will be keeping these tires for a good 70k miles.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by HARRYHONDINI
Replaced them with Michilens. Have over 30k on them and lots of tread left.
Hey Harry, which Michilens did you end up going with? We seem to travel about the same amount of miles per year (I put 58k miles in one year) so I am interested in your tire choice, thanks!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by gweeper64
For you folks that have had your '15 Fit for a while, how many miles have you gotten from the OEM tires? I have the Firestone's on mine, approaching 20k miles.
I have the Firestone's, running at 5/32s at almost 40k.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:05 AM
I have 64,000 miles on my 2015 CVT LX. It came with Firestone FR740 185-60R15 84T.

Since I drive long distances I earlier replaced the donut with a full sized rim and Bridgestone EP422 spare tire.

A week ago the right-rear showed cords so I just put the full-sized spare on it and made the worn tire the spare.

I'll buy four Bridgestone EP422 Plus tires on Walmart.com and have them installed in sales-taxeless Oregon the 1st week of February 2016.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I had a very early one, having bought it within a few days of being available (my serial # is in the first few hundred), so I ended up with the Bridgestones. They were terrible. I only got around 33,000 miles before replacing and at 33,000 I had waited until the edges of the tires were shiny and the tread was more worn than I should have waited. I've never gotten such a crummy life out of a set of tires. I searched for this tire model to see what others were saying and apparently my experience is very typical.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Namae Kana
I have 64,000 miles on my 2015 CVT LX. It came with Firestone FR740 185-60R15 84T.

Since I drive long distances I earlier replaced the donut with a full sized rim and Bridgestone EP422 spare tire.

A week ago the right-rear showed cords so I just put the full-sized spare on it and made the worn tire the spare.

I'll buy four Bridgestone EP422 Plus tires on Walmart.com and have them installed in sales-taxeless Oregon the 1st week of February 2016.
You should really, really replace tires before they show cords.

If it had rained you'd be a danger to everyone else on the roads & yourself. If you can afford a brand new car, you can afford tires. I don't care if you value your own safety, but don't put others at risk.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 LX came with the Firestones 185/60R15 85T. They're at roughly 33,000 miles and I'm getting them replaced today. I believe I've had them rotated twice, once at 10,000 and once at 24,000.

Most of the miles were highway miles 55 mph - 80 mph. A few thousand city driving (lots of cloverleafs in the Minneapolis area, where I live), and then maybe a few hundred to a thousand on dirt roads or two track lanes (dispersed camping on gov. land--man, the Fit is a HOOT to drive... nothing like swerving potholes for five miles!!! I go back and forth between calling the Fit my RV or my Land Rover ;-D).

I also completely neglected the tire pressure early on (yes, I'm an idiot...) and just had it done on my 10,000 and 24,000 oil changes/inspections. On the way home on a road trip my TPMS light came on, forcing me to learn how to check my tire pressure & fill the tires (in New Salem, ND!). Note to everyone reading this: be a responsibly adult & buy a tire pressure gauge and check your tires regularly! Anyhow, the tire pressure was low (surprise!). So likely I shortened the life of my stock tires due to not inflating them often enough.

Right now the front two tires have a wee bit more tread than the rear two. I read that the INSIDE of the tire is supposed to show more wear, yet in my car, it is the outermost treads that are heavily worn. Did my dealership flip the tires..? or...?

I think there are four tread tracks (I don't know what they're called) that run along the tire... the outermost rear is pretty much gone. next one over almost goes to Lincoln's head. and the innermost two are roughly Lincoln's head.

The front tire's outermost tread track is half way between the penny edge and Lincoln's head, and then it gets better from there toward the inner part.

Getting winter tires today, and have until March/April to figure out what kind of "rest of the year" tires to get... and wheels...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM
My OEM Firestone FR740 Tires Are Wearing Horribly

I now have 19K miles on my Firestone FR740 tires and they are almost down to the wear indicators. I highly doubt that I will see 25K on these tires. I would expect this type of accelerated wear on a high-performance vehicle, but for a little econobox this is pathetic! And I have rotated the tires 3 times to help ensure better tire wear, but it obviously didn't help. I had a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup and I got 105K miles (no lie!) out of the OEM Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I was hoping these Firestones made it through the 36K miles on my Fit's lease, but I will surely have to replace them before turning the vehicle back to Honda. And unless they offer me some kind of extraordinary lease deal, I don't think I'll be leasing another Honda. I've had too many issues with my Fit and I am very disappointed in this brand.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by pherank
I now have 19K miles on my Firestone FR740 tires
What does it say for TREAD WEAR rating on your tieres?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pherank
I now have 19K miles on my Firestone FR740 tires and they are almost down to the wear indicators. I highly doubt that I will see 25K on these tires. I would expect this type of accelerated wear on a high-performance vehicle, but for a little econobox this is pathetic! And I have rotated the tires 3 times to help ensure better tire wear, but it obviously didn't help. I had a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup and I got 105K miles (no lie!) out of the OEM Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I was hoping these Firestones made it through the 36K miles on my Fit's lease, but I will surely have to replace them before turning the vehicle back to Honda. And unless they offer me some kind of extraordinary lease deal, I don't think I'll be leasing another Honda. I've had too many issues with my Fit and I am very disappointed in this brand.
That's really odd. I have the same Firestone tires on mine and I'm at 22K. My buddy who has been a service adviser for years at a big tire company used his tread depth gauge and is estimating I'd get another 20k on my tires. I was at 6/32. I have lots of tread left on my tires and I'm hoping he's right.

Quick Reply: OEM tire life