can't find leak in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:25 AM
can't find leak in cooling system

Hi Folks, My 2004 Jazz done a head gasket a couple of weeks ago, I had the cylinder head surfaced & polished & fitted a permaseal head gasket, the car runs well & can travel 100 ks without any problem, but the water is not staying full to the top of the filler cap only takes a cup of water to fill the radiator, I think air is getting into the system some where, fitted a new radiator & air con condencer everything checkes out ok, but it is not pulling water back from the water reservoir, doesen't seem to be any leakes in the hose to the tank. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:14 PM
- Have you tried to flush the system out? There could possibly be debris clogging somewhere creating air pockets or excess pressure buildup which would cause a leak.

- Another option would be to pressure test the system manually. You can get a pressure test kit on amazon. With the system under pressure you can check for leaks.

- Could be that the new head gasket wasn't sealed properly or that the cylinder head was not level thus you are burning some coolant.

- You could take a sample of the oil to see if it's diluted with antifreeze. This would indicate head gasket issues or a crack in the cylinder head.

- You can rev the engine to see if its creating any white smoke out the tail pipe which would indicate the engine is burning coolant.
Again, this would indicate head gasket issues or a crack in the cylinder head.

- If the vehicle is not circulating water from the reservoir, perhaps the thermostat is broken or perhaps the water pump is not working properly.

These are all the things you can check.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Virulence
- Have you tried to flush the system out? There could possibly be debris clogging somewhere creating air pockets or excess pressure buildup which would cause a leak.

- Another option would be to pressure test the system manually. You can get a pressure test kit on amazon. With the system under pressure you can check for leaks.

- Could be that the new head gasket wasn't sealed properly or that the cylinder head was not level thus you are burning some coolant.

- You could take a sample of the oil to see if it's diluted with antifreeze. This would indicate head gasket issues or a crack in the cylinder head.

- You can rev the engine to see if its creating any white smoke out the tail pipe which would indicate the engine is burning coolant.
Again, this would indicate head gasket issues or a crack in the cylinder head.

- If the vehicle is not circulating water from the reservoir, perhaps the thermostat is broken or perhaps the water pump is not working properly.

These are all the things you can check.
Thank's for the reply, I had the head to the auto reconditioners In Launceston & had the cylinder head crack tested & surfaced & polished, Fitted a new head gasket, water pump , thermostat,new radiator. I drove the car yesterday over a hundred kms, the water goes down almost to the bottom of the curved hose that comes up to the filler cap, It always came to the top of the filler before the head gasket replacement, so I have ordered a new hose & the plastic filler, It has a new filler cap on it & I also tried another cap to be sure, There is not much left to replace, so I will fit the hose & will put new clams on as well, I will let you know how I go after that.Thank's again for your reply,

Old 02-15-2024, 07:50 PM
Anytime!
I'll be curious to see if that will fix the issue.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:34 AM
Water level.

Hi. it took a while to get the right hose for the jazz, but we got it & fitted now, everything is working correctly now, there must have been a small hole in either the hose or the filler top, I couldn't find one in either, it is full to the top now, So we are ready to roll, hopefully many more Kms, thanks again for help.