Inland Empire Fitfreaks (Riverside) Got A Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned
Question Inland Empire Fitfreaks (Riverside) Got A Question

Hi guys, saw your IE posts, and have a question--
I lived for several years in the the IE- Riverside, Corona, and San Berdoo. During the early '70s, there was a sandwich shop in Riverside on University Ave. by the name of "D'Elia's Grinders" that was famous for their sandwiches. You would order at an outdoor counter, pick up your order at a different part of the counter, and either carry your food away or eat at umbrella-covered tables off to one side of the shop. The main clientelle of the shop probably came from Riverside University, but the place was busy all day every day (for at least a decade- '70s to '80s).

Now the question- does anyone know if this shop still exists? I loved their food so much that even when I lived in Rosemead (LA County, near San Gabriel/El Monte), when I was in Riverside on business, I would eat at the shop and bring another sandwich home for dinner or lunch the next day. If the shop is till in business, and still makes the same quality of food, you should try it. If its still the same (very doubtful) it would put Subway/Quiznos to shame. If it's still there and of good quality, would be a good spot for a downtown Fit meet.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
I've always driven by that place, but never ate there. Last I drove down (which was about a year ago) it was still there. There's all kinds of eminent domain stuff happening in that area, but that's one place I always spotted coming down University Ave.

I used to work by the college, but that was 3 years ago.

So they're THAT good, huh?

-emil

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
i believe that place is still there. i live down iowa from UV (univ. village) and i swear i see that sign every time im in the area. next time i see where its at im stopping there.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Is this the place you folks are talking about: D'elia's Grinders?
Some of their stuffs in the menu sound delicious.
Never been there but may one day.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
it is still there

Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
we can have next months meet there

Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bacalia
I've always driven by that place, but never ate there. Last I drove down (which was about a year ago) it was still there. There's all kinds of eminent domain stuff happening in that area, but that's one place I always spotted coming down University Ave.

I used to work by the college, but that was 3 years ago.

So they're THAT good, huh?

-emil
They WERE, 30 years ago! Thanks for the info. Try their food and see- maybe they are still good.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fitiful Blue
Is this the place you folks are talking about: D'elia's Grinders?
Some of their stuffs in the menu sound delicious.
Never been there but may one day.
That's the place alright. If you stop there, my memory of a great sandwich was any of the two-meat cold ones with vinegar and oil dressing (no mayo or mustard). The bread is baked there (small "baguette" French bread with soft inside, very crunchy crust).

Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by manxman
That's the place alright. If you stop there, my memory of a great sandwich was any of the two-meat cold ones with vinegar and oil dressing (no mayo or mustard). The bread is baked there (small "baguette" French bread with soft inside, very crunchy crust).
Thanks for the replies people. It amazes me that the same shop still exists. I hope that you like their food if you meet there.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
i wish they'd put up a Lee's Sandwiches shop in the Riverside area......

You'll end up with a full stomach, a cut-up roof of your mouth, sore jaws, all for about 4-5 bucks! That baguette is rough, but they make a great tasting sandwich! Their hot wings are pretty good, too. They're sauceless!

-e

Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bacalia
i wish they'd put up a Lee's Sandwiches shop in the Riverside area......

You'll end up with a full stomach, a cut-up roof of your mouth, sore jaws, all for about 4-5 bucks! That baguette is rough, but they make a great tasting sandwich! Their hot wings are pretty good, too. They're sauceless!

-e
that would be freakin awesome if they had one out here! ::drool::

Old 05-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned
I would have mentioned the "cut up mouth" that I remember from D'Elias, but I didn't want to scare you all away!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:56 AM
I still eat there every now and then. I wasn't around in the 70's but I've been going there since late 80's/early 90's and they're sandwiches are pretty awesome. The bread makes it awesome (though it does tear up your mouth.. haha). I'd definitely pick D'Elias over Subway/Quizno's anyday.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cvc2nr
I still eat there every now and then. I wasn't around in the 70's but I've been going there since late 80's/early 90's and they're sandwiches are pretty awesome. The bread makes it awesome (though it does tear up your mouth.. haha). I'd definitely pick D'Elias over Subway/Quizno's anyday.
cvc2nr-
Thanks a lot for your comment! It amazes me that this place is still in business and still GOOD. The kids of the original operators must be running it now.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
cvc2nr-
Thanks a lot for your comment! It amazes me that this place is still in business and still GOOD. The kids of the original operators must be running it now.
Yeah, no prob. There are still pictures of the family on the walls so it's likely that it's still run by the same family.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned
Again, thanks. I sent a link to this thread to the web master for the D'Elia's site, and told him/her that if I didn't live 500 miles away, I would still be a regular customer. If the IE guys do have a Fit meet there, now I won't worry that I led you guys to a bad spot for food.