I just test drove a Storm Silver manual Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I just test drove a Storm Silver manual Fit Sport

I'll be getting one of these in a thew months.

I was told that Honda is waiving the security deposit on the Fit and Civic for the month of April.

I didn’t push for any other discounts. Since I can’t afford to get one right now, it would have been pointless. I’m confident that I could get lock nuts and rubber floor mats thrown in, not sure if I could get more off. But there’s a fair bit of interest in the Fit. While I was there, 5 other people were asking about the Fit. If I’m lucky the interest rates will be more interesting by the time I’m ready to pick one up. The salesmen said they had a good number of Fits coming in each month, and since they have 5 dealerships in Québec, they get a good volume and can easily swap between dealerships to get any colour I’d like, if they have that colour at one of the other 4 dealerships.

I still haven’t spoken to the guy that sold my co-worker a Civic. He might be able to be more responsive. I find the PDI to be a joke; I will seriously try to get them to remove that from the purchase. I can check the tire pressure, fluids and clean the car for less than 450$ + tax, or whatever it was.

I was quite impressed by the drive and handling, the throttle was tricky, a bit too sensitive for my liking. The FM stations sounded really good on the 200W stereo. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it. Seating position was excellent, might be a bit high for some, but I’m also used to the Odyssey. I could place the driver seat at my preferred position with the back seats down (maybe because the rear headrests were off).

Mirrors are rear visibility was fine for me, again, probably because I’m used to the Odyssey.

The amount of rear room is incredible. The kids could use it as a mobile play room! The amount of room under the hood is well, non existent. It’s a very small engine bay, makes the 92-00 Civic engine bay look huge. Explains why there’s so much interior space for such a small car.

On a side note, 3 of my friends that are Honda nuts went in to check it out. All 3 said they'd get a Civic LX for the difference in price, especially with the lower interest rates. So odds are the Fit will sell well, just not as well as some people on this site are thinking.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
thanks for the test drive story, i'll be heading over to mississauga honda to test drive out Fit's and Civic's they have

I'll be telling you guys how it goes

Old 04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I think the Fit will be bought mainly by people who are looking for a smaller car to fit their needs (no pun intended).
For those who are looking for an inexpensive vehicle, I think most will gravitate to the civic.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
I'll be getting one of these in a thew months.

I was told that Honda is waiving the security deposit on the Fit and Civic for the month of April.

I didn’t push for any other discounts. Since I can’t afford to get one right now, it would have been pointless. I’m confident that I could get lock nuts and rubber floor mats thrown in, not sure if I could get more off. But there’s a fair bit of interest in the Fit. While I was there, 5 other people were asking about the Fit. If I’m lucky the interest rates will be more interesting by the time I’m ready to pick one up. The salesmen said they had a good number of Fits coming in each month, and since they have 5 dealerships in Québec, they get a good volume and can easily swap between dealerships to get any colour I’d like, if they have that colour at one of the other 4 dealerships.

I still haven’t spoken to the guy that sold my co-worker a Civic. He might be able to be more responsive. I find the PDI to be a joke; I will seriously try to get them to remove that from the purchase. I can check the tire pressure, fluids and clean the car for less than 450$ + tax, or whatever it was.

I was quite impressed by the drive and handling, the throttle was tricky, a bit too sensitive for my liking. The FM stations sounded really good on the 200W stereo. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it. Seating position was excellent, might be a bit high for some, but I’m also used to the Odyssey. I could place the driver seat at my preferred position with the back seats down (maybe because the rear headrests were off).

Mirrors are rear visibility was fine for me, again, probably because I’m used to the Odyssey.

The amount of rear room is incredible. The kids could use it as a mobile play room! The amount of room under the hood is well, non existent. It’s a very small engine bay, makes the 92-00 Civic engine bay look huge. Explains why there’s so much interior space for such a small car.

On a side note, 3 of my friends that are Honda nuts went in to check it out. All 3 said they'd get a Civic LX for the difference in price, especially with the lower interest rates. So odds are the Fit will sell well, just not as well as some people on this site are thinking.
I'm waiting for a Sport in Storm Silver and keep getting different opinions on the color. The salesman said the color charts aren't reliable. Is this more of a charcoal grey, or closer to a darker silver, maybe like pewter? I hope it's not a flat grey. My only other choices were black or red. I would have waited if I could, but my car died. Hate paying MSRP and buying without a test drive, but I love Hondas and haven't been disappointed yet!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I think the color will be a charoal grey that shines (hence the metallic).
I keep imagining the 7th gen civic dark grey for some odd reason.

I put an order down for either a vivid blue pearl or a storm silver Sport 5MT

----

When I went for my test drive, I took out a silver LX auto.
I was very impressed with the sound system, and layout of the car. It is COMFY to sit in.
My sister said the rear seats were very comfortable and the ride was amazing for its small size.
We had 3 young adults in the Fit and the salesman, so mind you, I was a little nervous about acceleration and power in the LX... that concern was put to rest in roughly 8 seconds. The Fit has a good amount of power to get you going.

I found the automatic a little strange and I couldn't put my finger on it until after the test drive.
I've been used to driving 4 speed automatics for the last 5-6 years and I think the 5speed autos needs some getting used to, I felt it seemed to shift too fast.

Handling on the Fit is superb. I turned onto a ramp going roughly 70km/h and the car cornered really well. Didn't feel like a lot of body roll either.

It's a great car. I can't wait to hear back from the dealer about my VIN #.

Anyone else have any experience test driving the Fit? I'll be taking my younger brother to the dealership and let him take a look at it this weekend.

Last edited by kennyt; 04-05-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennyt
I think the color will be a charoal grey that shines (hence the metallic).
I keep imagining the 7th gen civic dark grey for some odd reason.

I put an order down for either a vivid blue pearl or a storm silver Sport 5MT

----

When I went for my test drive, I took out a silver LX auto.
I was very impressed with the sound system, and layout of the car. It is COMFY to sit in.
My sister said the rear seats were very comfortable and the ride was amazing for its small size.
We had 3 young adults in the Fit and the salesman, so mind you, I was a little nervous about acceleration and power in the LX... that concern was put to rest in roughly 8 seconds. The Fit has a good amount of power to get you going.

I found the automatic a little strange and I couldn't put my finger on it until after the test drive.
I've been used to driving 4 speed automatics for the last 5-6 years and I think the 5speed autos needs some getting used to, I felt it seemed to shift too fast.

Handling on the Fit is superb. I turned onto a ramp going roughly 70km/h and the car cornered really well. Didn't feel like a lot of body roll either.

It's a great car. I can't wait to hear back from the dealer about my VIN #.

Anyone else have any experience test driving the Fit? I'll be taking my younger brother to the dealership and let him take a look at it this weekend.
The salesman insisted that I pick one color, since I was going to contract and he was making it official for one of the Sports that is due on April 20 (their first shipment). I would have liked to see Vivid Blue Pearl, but Storm Silver may be ok as long as it has some sheen to it. I prefer to buy a leftover model when the new ones come out, which typically means getting stuck with whatever color is on the lot. I wasn't thrilled with white when I bought my Civic wagon, but I learned to love it because the car itself was so great. Friends teased me about my "ice cream wagon" but they were impressed when they rode in it.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I think the Storm Silver will have some sheen to it.
I told the salesman what colours I preferred, vivid blue being #1, storm silver being #2. I really want the blue but he couldn't provide me a date.
So that's why I told him the "either/or" provision.

He was good about it though. I tried to haggle to get him to throw in the all-weather mats, but that didn't happen.. oh well wut can you do.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The storm sliver has a bit of shine to it. I think the 2006 RSX in magnesium silver is similar in colour.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
For those who are looking for an inexpensive vehicle, I think most will gravitate to the civic.
No way, hatch vs. four door, two different bags. I would have still bought the Fit if the Civic was the same price. I'm sick if sedans, nothing EVER fits the trunk. Everything is always just a little too big.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM
hehe, I didn't mean to generalize my statement, but I think most ppl who are in the market for a cheaper car may not feel that the Fit is worth the pricetag. Hence why I think a lot will end up goign with an LX Civic
I love hatches and I'm glad I went with the Fit. The civic sedan was on my list at one point in time but I didn't feel like shelling out $26K for a loaded EX and for the size of the vehicle, it wouldn't be practical for a young guy like me.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, if Honda had a Civic hatch two years ago I'd have one now. The Fit is like a 1990/2000 civic hatch, just updated. Only have had my Fit for five days and I love it. 350km on it now.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
how is the fuel economy on it so far?
is it better than what Honda's numbers are stating?

Old 04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
The storm sliver has a bit of shine to it. I think the 2006 RSX in magnesium silver is similar in colour.
So I saw the storm silver at the dealership yesterday and I can see why the other poster in another thread had mentioned that it looks a lot like the Alabaster Silver.
Under the light, the dark shades of the storm silver is washed away and indeed looks like the A-silver. I saw the SS Fit and an AS Accord beside each other and under the light, not much difference. BUT... when you see the shadows on the SS Fit, there is a distinct dark metallic shade to it.
It's actually an interesting colour.

I'm gonna opt for the Vivid Blue.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I test drove the black Fit LX manual last Thursday. The pedals were much closer together than the ones in my 98 Golf, but I quickly got used to them. The Fit felt very peppy, and seemed to have plenty of power on tap. I only got as high as third gear, but it was happy accelerating in 2nd for quite a sprint. The handling was crisp/sharp. The braking was phenomenal. And since we ended up in a cul de sac, I was able to do a complete circle. The turning circle is very tight. This car is nice. Oh and the shifter was short with quick action and very short travel between the gates. I plan to make a deal this week or next for the Storm Silver LX. I'm hoping the cargo cover and rubber mats will be thrown in if the dealer insists on getting msrp. Freight is a whopping $1225!

Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 PM
how is the fuel economy on it so far?
is it better than what Honda's numbers are stating?
Need to hit the 1500km mark to get a better idea of what the gas milage is. It's al of what Honda said if not better. I have a post about it here somewhere.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
speaking of 1500km mark, did you break-in the vehicle at all? if so, what method did you use to break-in the motor?