Buying From US Saves $$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Buying From US Saves $$$

Ok I 've heard lots about buying from states and it seems quite logical even with the duties if there are any.
So is there any input on this idea

Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Master FitFreaker
as long u can make it legal and import it to canada

Old 05-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Someone that Posts too much
US cars don't have day time running lights
US cars have MPH vs Km/hr

you will end up paying duties on the car PLUS gst+pst since the car isn't made in USA and isn't cover under free trade.. (even though the US dealer paid duty to US government, it's still an import)

then there is the issue of warranty..

-joe

Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
As someone who has immigrated from the US to Canada, I know that this would be impossible legally and nearly impossible illegally!! Canada knows it's cheaper to buy in the US so they have established laws to make it so you can't do that. I don't remember all the exact details, I only had to import my vehicle but I did have to tell them that I would not sell it for one calander year from the day I brought it across the border.
I'm sure Google has some info on the subject... but after the hassle, the costs, and the issues with it being an American car (good luck SELLING it in Canada when you're ready for a trade in or whatever) it's not worth it.
Also, you have to pay several hundred dollars to get it emissions tested, safety requirements installed, daytime running lights installed (yes all of this is required).
Hope that helps a little bit...sorry to be so discouraging!

EDIT: ACK! This is Fit for a Queen again! My husband seems to still be logged in...I keep forgetting! teehee

Last edited by Jim2CPU; 05-25-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I could type everything up again, but I've just had a lengthy chat via PM with a fellow forum user... so I'll just post the meat of it:

Him:
Just so you know, I am debating whether it is worth ir not to import (yes, import) the Fit from the US. I live near Windsor, ON but I work in the Detroit area. I live 15 minutes from the bridge to Detroit, where there are probably 6 dealers at my disposal compared to just one in Windsor. And the MSRP in the US (~16k) is sooo much nicer than in Canada (~19k US @ today's exchange rate). Adding duty, customs, GST, PST, RIV fees and emissions testing, and I believe I can snag a Fit Sport AT for ~22k CAD from our friends north of the border (yes, Detroit is actually north of Windsor

This is for the wife. It is a good thing we don't need a new car until October sometime. So we have time. I'll wait till all those rich people are flushed out of the queue. I bought, and paid off, my 99 Civic EX Coupe from a Detoit area dealer when I used to live there, so I have an edge getting a good rate from American Honda, something like 5.9% vs. 7% we get in Canada, and keeps climbing. Besides, I've already imported my vehicle when I moved back to Canada 2 years ago and I know how to go about it

I also have the CBSA pdf file you posted showing 6.1% and thanks for the other links too! Suddenly I have more courage about it now (my edmunds post below)

Me:
The fact that we have different circumstances would probably mean our end decision will likely to be different. It takes me 4 hours to Greyhound down to Seattle, and then I'd have to arrange more transportation to the dealerships, etc. This was a time investment I couldn't really justify.

Not to mention Vancouver has 9 dealerships, transfer of warranty issues (which I didn't really research) and the hit in resale (I find people here are very edgy about out of province cars due to low rust rates locally vs out east).

Also, the Fit is such a new car, it would have been one heck of a chore to get it approved for importation by the RIV back in April when it came out.

However, under your circumstances, I would probably consider importing much more seriously. Esp with lower interest rates (they just raised the Fit rates again here), strong Canadian dollar and lower purchase price, the option is certainly far more appealing than it was back in 2002.

My edmunds post:
I was researching heavily into importing a US made car due to lower prices and strong Canadian dollar. I could have saved a couple thousand off a Honda Fit.

Canadian government
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf

Canadian general forums, with an ex-customs agent answering the duty question:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=287230

Importing a US made Subaru (no duty charged)
http://www.cars101.com/canada.html

EDIT: One additional thing: Importation is the way to go if you need a White Fit (or Lunar Mist, but I find Alabaster Silver to be superior). You can save a few grand by not needing a brand new paint job, as well as saving a few k off the sticker compared to Honda Canada's sticker

Last edited by crimsona; 05-25-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:16 AM
i got my fit sport for something close to 22k CAD.. so if importing from US = 22k, not sure if it's worth your while

-joe

Old 05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i got my fit sport for something close to 22k CAD.. so if importing from US = 22k, not sure if it's worth your while

-joe
22k CAD after taxes? That's an incredible deal if so. I paid 25k after BC sales tax (14%) for mine, Sport Auto.

For reference, the 22k being thrown around is the after sales tax price of importing. Even if it takes 1k in fees/mods, that's still a 2k discount off the Canadian model (most of which will be reflected in the resale price)

Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
16K USD @ today's exchange = almost 18k CAD

assuming a 10% duty (probably more, since it's japanese)

18K + 1.8K = 19.8K

assuming 7% GST + 7% PST (in BC?) = 19.8K * 1.14 = 22572

plus the cost of converting it from MPH -> KM/H (new cluster, etc, $500-$1000)
plus the cost of doing day time running lights ($250-$500)
plus the cost of emission testing and certifying ($500-$1000)

it adds up

-joe

Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
and dun forget those stupid dealer markups they doing down there

Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 PM
well, i figure this is his "best case"

it can be more than that :-)

-joe

Old 05-26-2006, 12:01 AM
well the reason i brought it up was on my way to work the guy on the radio mentioned the exchange rate was good enough to go south and buy a civic and something else i can't remember and save 2 to 3 grand
that's why i was thinking about it hbut if all the hassle and mods are done i don't think it's worth it
thanks for all the insight though

Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
16K USD @ today's exchange = almost 18k CAD

assuming a 10% duty (probably more, since it's japanese)

18K + 1.8K = 19.8K

assuming 7% GST + 7% PST (in BC?) = 19.8K * 1.14 = 22572

plus the cost of converting it from MPH -> KM/H (new cluster, etc, $500-$1000)
plus the cost of doing day time running lights ($250-$500)
plus the cost of emission testing and certifying ($500-$1000)

it adds up

-joe
Duty is 6.1% for non NAFTA
I was literally || this close to importing one - but I wanted Alabaster Silver and didn't have the time to Greyhound. It's not nearly as bad as you make it out

Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I guess it's a personal choice

some people import their performance parts from the states to save a few bucks (10-20%) but then I look at it and if it's not night-and-day (40-50%) difference, it's just not worth the hassle

for a 10-15% difference in the actual car cost, plus any potential warranty / resale issues, it's just not worth it

if, on the other hand, you were looking at a Porsche 911, which is like 40% cheaper in the states, it's a different story

-joe

Old 05-26-2006, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
I think those NOT in the market to import should STOP posting about it with bad information. If you still DON'T own a Fit, or own one but have considered importing, then let's hear about it.

crimsona, thanks for the info!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
the 1 year rule if for immigrants who move from the US (or mexico) into Canada.. since you get exemption on the duty on the first car you bring in

I had to go though that when I got my first car in

Veloci, it's a public forum, talking about a general topic.. no need for censorship

-joe

Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Wrong again, there is no "1 year rule". At CCRA's discretion, disposal restrictions on vehicles imported into Canada can either be only upon authorization from CCRA, or after a certain date that is set by CCRA on the day the vehicle is imported. This applies to all imported vehicles, not just immigrants and others who may be exempt from duty. Read up on Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form 1, and you will find it contains no reference to tax or duty. Those are handled in other ways.

You see why you should stop with your mis-information?