Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Camber for stock car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Camber for stock car

What is a good amount of camber for tracking a stock car. I drive the new Hyundai Accent (Yadda Yadda Yadda Fit rules!!) and have been getting into roadracing. Im asking this on the fit forum and not the Hyun-die forum is because im pretty sure no one road race the new accent yet or even road race a hyundai at all(). I believe my car share a similiar suspension set up as the Fit. Beam suspension, seperate coil springs and shocks for the rear and mac pher. for the front, front sway bar, same power. Im running on 195/55/15 Advan Neovas(badass tires btw) and still notice a good amount of understeer. I was wondering if any of you guys have track or autocross a stock fit running front neg camber and if it makes a big diffrence. How much camber is to much or not enough? Just want some opinions on camber settings. No company makes parts of the car yet so this is basically the only suspension mod i have for now. Thank you fellow subcompact drivers

Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member

Both of those are my old cars...

The simple answer is, as much as you can get. They don't make too much for the new Accent yet, but two sets of camber adjustment bolts will go a long way up front.

When I autocrossed my old turbo Accent, I was almost 3 degrees negative in the front, and 1.5 degrees negative in the back. More than that and you start to loose contact patch, and without a limited slip, you can loose acceleration grip out of a corner. I run near 3 degrees negative in the front of my BMW, but I only ask those wheels to turn. I was running coilovers and camber plates, but you can probably get near 2 degrees out of the front with just crash bolts.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
The best place to start is -1.5 degrees camber at 4.5 degrees caster. You don't want too much camber when the wheels are straight in order to get good traction. You do need camber when the wheels turn in order to compensate for tire distortion from side loads. When the kingpin is at 4 degrees caster as the wheel turns the negative camber increases on the outside tire and goes positive on the inside; thats precisely what is needed.
Most don't consider the result of caster on camber and when they dial is lots of camber straight ahead don't know why things don't improve at the limits. the Fit has 3.75+/- 1 degrees of caster so moving to the maximum is advisable for both straight ahead and cornering forces. Unless you shim the spindle plate you are stuck with the rear camber thats there, typically -1.5 degrees, but 2 degrees might be useable but only if you remove the excessive understeer at the front by disconnecting the antisway bar or by adding a massive rear antisway bar. thats tricky in itself.
good luck
PS make sure the rear axle is squared up.

Last edited by mahout; 05-27-2008 at 09:41 PM.