Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Crank time cut in half

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Crank time cut in half

Hi all,
Just thought I'd pass this on. New owner of a 2010 Fit Sport (115,000K) and have been going over it to get it in better shape. Note: I don't know much about an engine so take my post for just what it is, an observation) :-)
I had been having what I consider a long crank time, mainly in the morning when the engine is completely cold. After the engine is warm, the car starts up much more quickly. In the a.m. it had been taking about 2 1/2 seconds or more, of crank time for the car to start. Also, when beginning to step on the accelerator pedal when at idle (warm or cold) the gas pedal seemed to "stick" a little. So, things I did yesterday-----------don't know which one was the or a deciding factor in decreasing my cold crank time to about 1 second but here's what I did that may be related.
Cleaned the EGR valve (still have to do the passenges) and cleaned the throttle body. Now, both were very dirty and one thing that I noticed when getting at the throttle body was that the clamp that is attached to the "rubber/plastic" mating part at the throttle body "mouth" was not tight. The rubber "seal" around that mouth may have been "snug" but again, the clamp was loose. Don't know if that makes a tinker shite a difference or not but it is what it is, just info.
So, anyone else who may be having the same problem may find this info helpful. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
What did you use to clean the EGR valve, and what exaclty did you clean?
I need to do this on our 2011 (and it has the same symptoms that yours had, only on cold start in the morning).
Also thought about doing an idle reset prcocedure, since I didn't do that after adjusting the valves, changing spark plugs, and cleaning the throttle body.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:07 AM
I used CRC Throttle Body and Air intake cleaner on both the throttle body and the EGR valve. Cleaned inside the open ports and gently pulled the "stem" of the EGR valve out and sprayed the heck out of that, working it back and forth. Also cleaned the inside of the open ports and the open ports on the engine side too. Used a narrow toothbrush as much as I could and a rag on the end of a narrow screwdriver inside the open ports. Sprayed a lot inside the EGR with the cleaner, over and over. I assume my EGR valve had never been cleaned because I had to clean/polish the residual gasket off the valve and the mating engine part before putting on the new gasket. Did put on a new gasket. I figured that the idle reset would be taken care of by the on board computer, in a few driving cycles? (I did get a check engine light that I simply shut off with my code reader.)

Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 AM
I will follow this procedure for resetting the idle, after I clean my EGR passenges this weekend. Here is a YouTube post on resetting, by letting the car idle for five or ten minutes after the cooling fan comes on.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the details @JerryHughes

Old 05-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Thanks for the details @JerryHughes
Oh, I also sprayed both ends of the elec. connection with electronic spray cleaner. Must use a cleaner that is safe for electronic connections.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Cleaned the passenges today. They were not that dirty so the previous owner must have had them cleaned. The gasket was really pretty dirty but no holes plugged, etc. Car running like a top. On to the next "fix". :-)

Old 05-04-2019, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
It is on my list..... haven't gotten to it yet, working on one of the other cars today.