Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

"Cheezy look"? Your opinion appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 04:47 PM
"Cheezy look"? Your opinion appreciated

Hi all,
Well, traveling down the freeway, a huge truck threw up a rock on top of the hood of my car and dented it. Well, since the hood could use a new paint job anyway, because of stone chips, I thought that I would just have the dent fixed and the whole hood painted---until I found out that it would cost $450.00! So I looked and looked online and found these two fake "hood vents" in white that I could use to cover the dent. (They still need to be painted if I decide to use them). Thing is, the two hood vents only cost $4.00---versus the $450.00 for the paint job. Could any of you "live with these vents" if it was your car? Please see pics. And the vents just glue down and are not glued on the hood in the pics yet so they're not down, entirely flat on the hood. And, these vents were the smallest I could find online or anywhere. All others were like over a foot long which, to me, would be out of proportion. Feedback please. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Could any of you "live with these vents" if it was your car?
No. I would personally rather look at a dent. A dent looks less out of place...

Old 06-22-2019, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Check out pointless dent repair. Paintless

Old 06-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Check out pointless dent repair. Paintless
But these two, inch long dents/scratches did remove the paint. I filled the scratch in as well as I could with paint but that looks pretty bad too. Those two vents look that bad??

Old 06-22-2019, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing screams out "rice" louder than fake vents.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 PM
The only thing about having just the dents fixed is that the painters said that it is hard to paint just those spots on the hood without them showing. They say to paint the whole hood-----at $450. Ugg.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:44 AM
the vents dont look so great. paintless dent removal is a real thing...check it out. is a bit pricey though.

my hood is getting chips also. i know it sucks looking at dents. but u kinda get use to em. kinda. trust me i know because my 09 got its first door ding last year...on the driver side rear door. i get to look at it almost every day. i have a couple more tiny ones ive accumulated (my fault) and plan to have them fixed the PDR method after i get a couple more, to make it worthwhile cost wise.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by eulogy
the vents dont look so great. paintless dent removal is a real thing...check it out. is a bit pricey though.

my hood is getting chips also. i know it sucks looking at dents. but u kinda get use to em. kinda. trust me i know because my 09 got its first door ding last year...on the driver side rear door. i get to look at it almost every day. i have a couple more tiny ones ive accumulated (my fault) and plan to have them fixed the PDR method after i get a couple more, to make it worthwhile cost wise.
Well, I would have the PDR for the dents on my hood but again, there is paint missing or chipped off there. As far as I know, the PDR service is no good for that because of the missing paint. I have touched up both my plastic rocker panel and front bumper, myself and they turned out great but the hood, that is easily seen, is a different story. Can't get a professional job by doing it myself. So, the whole hood paint job is my other option. Ugg. Thanks for your info.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I would apply as little touch up paint as I would need to cover the lost paint... then get a vinyl bandaid sticker that's just big enough to cover it and pop it on top.

Probably still screams ricer... but less than two fake vents, maybe?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I would apply as little touch up paint as I would need to cover the lost paint... then get a vinyl bandaid sticker that's just big enough to cover it and pop it on top.

Probably still screams ricer... but less than two fake vents, maybe?
We'll look at that one too. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
OK...I'm going to be the one that simply say's I don't think those vents look bad.
I could live with them, maybe even enjoy them. Your Fit would be unique.

I grew up in my family, with what I still think is a great looking vehicle. It was a 67 Mustang. It had "fake" hood vents, or ones that really weren't all that functional, and I always liked them.

So one single vote for ...sure..go with the vents.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
OK...I'm going to be the one that simply say's I don't think those vents look bad.
I could live with them, maybe even enjoy them. Your Fit would be unique.

I grew up in my family, with what I still think is a great looking vehicle. It was a 67 Mustang. It had "fake" hood vents, or ones that really weren't all that functional, and I always liked them.

So one single vote for ...sure..go with the vents.
Thanks, fitchet! I may take that into consideration, especially now that I lost one of my jobs and couldn't afford a newly painted hood right now anyway. I'll paint the vents the correct "white" and see if they look any better. Thanks again for your input. And hey, this ain't no Cadillac----I guess I'm a little more "flexible"! :-)

Last edited by JerryHughes; 06-26-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Those look really bad.

Just put touch up paint on the scrapes & keep driving the car.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Those look really bad.

Just put touch up paint on the scrapes & keep driving the car.
Thanks for your input. Anyone else with any ideas of how I'd hide the dent------"effectively"?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
for this same reason, is why i vinyl wrapped my hood

Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
for this same reason, is why i vinyl wrapped my hood
Got pics??

Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 AM
In the spirit of roasting fake vents, and as we in the GK crowd are all guilty of fake vents since they come standard as part of the bumper facia, lol:

Don't forget the flame stickers and naked lady silhouettes, you could also get some spinner hubcaps to zip-tie onto your rims while your at it. Why stop there, I think autozone sells a chrome-pinstriping kit that you could line the doors with. Also, it'd be a miss if you didn't get safari window vents. Lastly, top it of with underglow. Not just any underglow, the strips from walmart and dont bother hiding the wires... Just run them straight under the doors from the foot wells and superglue the strips directly to the underbody plastic.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by knope
In the spirit of roasting fake vents, and as we in the GK crowd are all guilty of fake vents since they come standard as part of the bumper facia, lol:

Don't forget the flame stickers and naked lady silhouettes, you could also get some spinner hubcaps to zip-tie onto your rims while your at it. Why stop there, I think autozone sells a chrome-pinstriping kit that you could line the doors with. Also, it'd be a miss if you didn't get safari window vents. Lastly, top it of with underglow. Not just any underglow, the strips from walmart and dont bother hiding the wires... Just run them straight under the doors from the foot wells and superglue the strips directly to the underbody plastic.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh---my----God, you're describing my dream car! :-) I actually saw something similar to all that on another small, white compact a couple of weeks ago and was embarrassed for the poor guy. I wish I would have gotten a picture. Thanks for the laugh. It's early morning here and that starts the day off, well.

But when you look at a Fit Sport, with those running boards and the back plastic that's over the rear window, isn't that just one step this side of "overdone"???

Last edited by JerryHughes; 06-27-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Got pics??

much more / better angles in the thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ans-build.html

Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan

much more / better angles in the thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ans-build.html
Wow, that looks great! The hood and the roof was the best way to go with that. Cost? And can someone with no experience do that?

Quick Reply: "Cheezy look"? Your opinion appreciated