Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Check fuel cap and disconnecting battery

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Check fuel cap and disconnecting battery

So my check fuel cap message came on yesterday, I havent even touch the gas cap in a week after I filled up, I know this topic has been covered before.... but i have a question about disconnecting the battery to clear it

Should I disconnect the positive or negative or both and for how long?? Will it reset my maintenance indicator as well (Which i hope it wont)?? After I put it back on do I have to idle the car and will it mess anything else up other than the radio asking for code??

Thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Fuel tank.

Greetings, I have a problem with my fuel indicator, it only works emergency light, someone have disarmed the tank? how can I do?
Thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
FYI, It is never necessary to remove both battery cables to kill power to a car, either one will do. It is a good practice to remove the negative one so if your wrench touches ground during the process you won't get an arc. If you are going to remove both cables it is a good practice to remove the negative first for the same reason.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Question Check Fuel Cap

Hi guys, after a warm So. Cal day and with the tank near fumes, the Check Fuel Cap warning message appeared. I checked the cap and it was clicked tight. I filled up and a week later, the message is still going. I know the manual says the message may take a few days of driving to clear, but now that it's been a week, am I looking at a more serious problem?

The check motor light is not on, so it doesn't look like an emissions control issue. Any ideas? Not too keen on making time to get the car over to the dealer, but will if it doesn't go out.

Best regards!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tomwaits
Hi guys, after a warm So. Cal day and with the tank near fumes, the Check Fuel Cap warning message appeared. I checked the cap and it was clicked tight. I filled up and a week later, the message is still going. I know the manual says the message may take a few days of driving to clear, but now that it's been a week, am I looking at a more serious problem?

The check motor light is not on, so it doesn't look like an emissions control issue. Any ideas? Not too keen on making time to get the car over to the dealer, but will if it doesn't go out.

Best regards!
Never had this problem so far, including after I replaced the original gas cap with a key one (aftermarket), my advice is to take it to the dealer, FREE-OF-CHARGE, and let them fix this problem!
Chris

Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
This happened once to me. I was impatient for it to clear, so I disconnected the battery terminal for about 5 minutes. Re-connected it and it cleared. I did this with one check engine light as well, just to see if it was a passing problem. It never came back either. I now have one of those OBD code readers so that I can read check engine codes on all my cars before I go to the dealer.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
same thing happenned to me i waited patiantly then it went off. the thing now is that i can only read trip A,B, and oil life it wont go back to the ODO reading. I called honda, they told me to bring it in but i didnt have the time so i just disconnected the batery like above and it went back to peachy.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 AM
i left my gas cap not properly closed, so i got dat CHECK FUEL CAP... wat i did is jus tighten my gas cap and turned on my ignition pressed and hold the gauge light button and held it till i heard da beep and it went off

Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by sirhc
turned on my ignition pressed and hold the gauge light button and held it till i heard da beep and it went off
That might have reset the milege minder as well ? Did the oil life go to 100%?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
I drove 200 miles a few months ago with the cap actually off, and it never came on.

Today, with the cap firmly tightened, it came on for no reason. I guess I will have to schedule a dealer visit, because it doesn't really seem to be functional. I wonder if the sensor or cluster input can be disabled entirely.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Same here. ^^ I drove almost 2 hours home with the gas lid open with the gas cap hooked on it, and I never got any light..