Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Dealer overfilled oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by fm2n
Actually, neither is ideal. If you overfill, you end up with over-pressurization which will lead to seal leaks - especially at the engine cover gasket.

If under-filled, you will end up with varnish. At times your oil will foam up. I am usually at 3/4 before I hit the Max line.
As a mechanic, I often wonder where people come up with this stuff?
You cannot get increased crank case pressure from higher oil levels and seals will not suddenly start leaking.
Engine cover gasket? Valve cover?
Anyway, a bit over filled is no big deal. You may get the crank dragging oil but that's it. And a bit more may wind up on the cyclinder walls and the scraper rings may let a bit by.
Obviously filled to the top can cause problems.
I fill by measuered volume and often the dipstick can read high or low. And this varies from car to car!

Old 09-04-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Just had a similar situation. The oil level was 3/8" over the full mark on the dipstick. I used a hand-held MityVac to extract the extra oil through the dipstick tube. I could measure the amount of oil exracted, and I had to suck out 8 oz. to get the oil level back to the full mark.

Marty

Old 09-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Idiot that I bought my Fit from tried to do his own oil change and put 5 quarts of oil in and the crank seal is now leaking badly . Even atfer correcting the oil level ,I have to pull the crank bolt,belt,balancer and replace the seal.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:32 PM
This is why the manual and self changing oil. The capacity is 3.5 quarts, the dipstick reads full at about 3.2? Quarts. I stop at ~3 and slowly add over the next beer or two until im about just over halfway between the two dots. Run it for a bit, double check it in the morning.

the comments in thread regarding crank paddle are the worst case scenario. The guy who put 5 quarts in a 1.5l that calls for 3.5MAX was smoking something good i imagine.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 AM
My 2019 came from the dealer with 9/8th filled with oil measured cold. In fact upon getting the vehicle (in the service bay) I opened the hood and showed the service manager this and had them document in my new service record the fact they overfilled the oil. Now with ~ 3100 miles, the same break-in oil is at 7/8ths and is listing oil life at 80%. They told me to bring it in at 5000 miles or 15% life - which ever occurs first.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:39 PM
I rarely take my own cars or motorcycles to a dealer and never to a Jiffy Lube type place. Everyone has their reasons and mine are that I have the interest, ability, and tools to change oil at home and I know and fully trust my work and in the case of a car it's one of the few maintenance items a DIY owner can do anymore.

I won't carp on untrained jiffy lubers or opportunist huckster dealers but I have one story. The Mazda dealer I bought my Mazda 3 from kept sending me coupons for free oil changes and I finally took the hook. Now I had changed the oil myself already and is my long-held habit the oil filter had a piece of blue painter's tape on it with the mileage and changed at date written on it. I always do that. So when I pick up the keys at the service desk I look over the work ticket. In the notes the oil change tech wrote "removed non-standard oil filter." WTH does that mean I ask? Mazda calls for an OEM SkyActiv filter and that is what I had used and in the rare chance I ever have a warranty issue on the engine, that record of non-standard oil filter might be used to deny warranty repair. At home I had the receipt for the Mazda SkyActiv OEM filter I had bought from that same dealership but the service record still had that "non standard filter" reference for as long as the dealer kept records with my VIN on it. I ask the service manager to bring the technician to the counter and explain the comment. In a few minutes the young fellow comes up and said "the filter had some tape wrapped around it, that's all." I don't think he meant harm and said so but he inadvertently inserted a comment in the car's maintenance record than could bite me later. The service manager couldn't edit the closed ticket but did open another one that explained the oil filter comment was what it was and the filter was a Mazda approved part.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:01 PM
The mechanic shouldn't have put that comment in the work order.

I use a permanent marker, write the date, and kms on my oil filter.
But will not let anyone else change the oil in my car.

Away on a long motorcycle ride years ago, I had accumulated a lot more kms on my motorcycle than usual between oil changes, and still had to return home the same amount of kms. So i took my bike to a Honda dealership, for an oil change, and new tires.
Never again will I go to any dealer, unless absolutely no other choice.
That was the second time using a dealership, the first time was a Toyota dealership, that I had to keep taking my Tacoma back to for yet another warranty issue, it was brand new. That Toyota dealer was completely useless, and so was this Honda motorcycle dealer. They scratched both rims on my bike, chain wasn't adjusted correctly, tires not balanced as asked for and charged for, and oil was overfilled.
Dealers must go out of their way to hire the worst possible mechanics they can.
Seems small independent shops often have much better employees.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Breezer
The mechanic shouldn't have put that comment in the work order.

I use a permanent marker, write the date, and kms on my oil filter.
But will not let anyone else change the oil in my car.

Away on a long motorcycle ride years ago, I had accumulated a lot more kms on my motorcycle than usual between oil changes, and still had to return home the same amount of kms. So i took my bike to a Honda dealership, for an oil change, and new tires.
Never again will I go to any dealer, unless absolutely no other choice.
That was the second time using a dealership, the first time was a Toyota dealership, that I had to keep taking my Tacoma back to for yet another warranty issue, it was brand new. That Toyota dealer was completely useless, and so was this Honda motorcycle dealer. They scratched both rims on my bike, chain wasn't adjusted correctly, tires not balanced as asked for and charged for, and oil was overfilled.
Dealers must go out of their way to hire the worst possible mechanics they can.
Seems small independent shops often have much better employees
Dealers have many people to pay in the dealership, so they'll pay the least for a mechanic.
Most indy shops are owned by the same folks turning the wrenches. So they have a greater interest in your winning your future business than a dealership.

Last edited by BMWguy22; 01-21-2022 at 07:06 PM.