2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Too much oil after dealer oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Too much oil after dealer oil change ?

Red line shows how far over the FULL mark . Thinking it's 1/2 > 3/4 over filled . Should this be of concern? Thanks

Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
That's likely not enough to really be worried about, at most 1/4 qt, assuming that the amount between the dots is 1 qt. I recently had oil changed on my wife's Subaru Outback at the dealer (service included in first 36k miles, otherwise I only do my own oil changes) and they overfilled by a full quart. I contacted the service manager and he was pretty freaked out - they sent someone to pick up the car so they could correct the overfilled oil.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I know the rule of thumb you can go a quart over with no problems but over that I wouldn't recommend doing at all. Though I usually do just the 4 Quarts and I always buy the 5 individual quart bottles instead of the big 5qt jugs so that way I can have 1qt as a backup just in case!

Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeneralLee86
I know the rule of thumb you can go a quart over with no problems but over that I wouldn't recommend doing at all. Though I usually do just the 4 Quarts and I always buy the 5 individual quart bottles instead of the big 5qt jugs so that way I can have 1qt as a backup just in case!
Having the quart backup is always a good idea. Quarts are easier to pour, at least the initial pour, than the bigger containers, particularly with the somewhat limited clearance above the valve cover on the Fit.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, you PAID someone to do your oil change. And you paid them to do it right. Overfilled is not right.
I'd have them fix it.
Also, you can google "overfilled" oil and I'm not as laid back about my oil being overfilled. It can be damaging to newer engines and it also can affect your gas mileage negatively.

I'd rather be 3/4th to filled...than overfilled.

But the bottom line is, yeah it's overfilled and that's a mistake by the dealership and you deserve to have it right.

Oil looks pretty dark though. How long ago was the oil change? If too much time has passed, you might have a hard time convincing the dealership to take responsibility.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
IMO, you PAID someone to do your oil change. And you paid them to do it right. Overfilled is not right.
I'd have them fix it.
Also, you can google "overfilled" oil and I'm not as laid back about my oil being overfilled. It can be damaging to newer engines and it also can affect your gas mileage negatively.

I'd rather be 3/4th to filled...than overfilled.

But the bottom line is, yeah it's overfilled and that's a mistake by the dealership and you deserve to have it right.

Oil looks pretty dark though. How long ago was the oil change? If too much time has passed, you might have a hard time convincing the dealership to take responsibility.
I lean more toward this way of thinking. Overfilling scars me more then being 3/4 full.

In my VW manual it shows the dip stick and has levels of concerned marked out on the dip stick.

A.) No oil needs to be added. Do not add oil.
B.) Oil can be added but it can wait for a more convenient time.
C.) Add oil now you are x quarts low.
D.) Call a tow truck

I have never heard of this "over a quart is okay rule". The Fit only takes 3.5 quarts so a quart is a good percentage of the total amount. Maybe on a big V8 that takes 8 quarts it is okay but on these little engines I'm not sure.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
All vehicles are made to be able to take a quart over whether the manual states it or not.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it. It's easy to overfill a little in colder weather / cold / thick oil. You look at the stick and needs a little more, you put some in, but it takes a while to drain down through to the oil pan. After running it some and letting sit overnight, you check and it's a little overfilled. I always 'short fill' mine a little and then check the next day to add the rest. A dealer doesn't have that luxury. Again, that little bit over isn't a problem.

BTW - What weight oil are you using? Also, it doesn't look like you got the filter changed. I know that the service schedule says to change filter every other oil change.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
I lean more toward this way of thinking. Overfilling scars me more then being 3/4 full.
I agree.
I'd rather be 3/4ths to just at full, than any amount above full...and CERTAINLY not a quart over filled.

Originally Posted by GeneralLee86
All vehicles are made to be able to take a quart over whether the manual states it or not.
Really?
So we can ignore the dipstick? Marks that represent empty and full, and the owners manual, AND the majority opinion that overfilled on newer engines can cause a lot of problems, because somehow you know vehicles can be as much as a QUART over filled, even though it doesn't say that anywhere?

Sorry, my advice is just fill it as recommended by every available source. Which according to the manual is to NOT overfill.
And my opinion is...there is a full mark...because a full mark is needed.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
When I bought a used Tundra, I transferred the remaining extended warranty and then took it to the dealer for the filter / oil changes and tire rotation (another story). My Tundra must have a 'hidden' oil cooler since every oil change was 3/4th of a quart short - 'on the stick'. They said they punch in the VIN and the bulk oil system pumps out what is supposed to go in - 'Full'. They would never check the stick but I would. If I wanted it 'full by the stick', they would take the truck back and I'd have to wait another 15-20 mins - waste of time. This continued even after chastising them over the point that if there ever was an oil / engine problem, they / I would be checking the stick. I gave up and would check before leaving and then top it off at home. Except one time, the drain plug was 50% out and leaking. I took it back after tightening the plug.

Even though I'm a 'believer' of the stick, I don't believe that 105% full is going to hurt anything.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I agree.
I'd rather be 3/4ths to just at full, than any amount above full...and CERTAINLY not a quart over filled.

Really?
So we can ignore the dipstick? Marks that represent empty and full, and the owners manual, AND the majority opinion that overfilled on newer engines can cause a lot of problems, because somehow you know vehicles can be as much as a QUART over filled, even though it doesn't say that anywhere?

Sorry, my advice is just fill it as recommended by every available source. Which according to the manual is to NOT overfill.
And my opinion is...there is a full mark...because a full mark is needed.
Yeah you can overfill by a quart and be fine whether you like it or not.