Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

headlights off with ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Azguyen316, Spule 4 said he does drive around with his lights on all day, so the relay mod is what he might be after.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by sterVin
$73 is worth having my mom no longer complain about my new car
Do you have any Canadian friends?

How proud would your mama be if you had OEM DRLs? Take a look under your dash and see if Connector 14P is hiding up there.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toasty
Do you have any Canadian friends?

How proud would your mama be if you had OEM DRLs? Take a look under your dash and see if Connector 14P is hiding up there.
Under the dash where? Pics would help, too

Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I can't take pics of what I don't have. I pick up my Fit Monday.

The manual shows a line drawing with Connnector 14P under the lower dash, to the right of the steering column. That's the best I can do right now, but I'll try to find it Monday.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
lol, okay. All I could find to the right of the steering column was a 18 connector thing, but looks more like a (re)programming thing as it doesn't plug into anything. I would look more but I don't want to take too much of my three-day old car apart...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 PM
That sounds like the Data Link Connector, otherwise known as the ODB-II connector. Did it have DLC and an arrow on the lower dash panel pointing to it? IIRC, it's purple in my Civic.

You may need to remove the lower dash panel to gain access to the mystical Connector 14P.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by claymore
Guys if your going to be giving advice on electrical problems or how to hook up anything that may result in a cloud of plastic smelling smoke please put a disclaimer dissolving FitFreak from responsibility at the beginning of the information.
Um...okay.

DISCLAIMER:
Honda Fit Forums Moderator Claymore has deemed that any advice I may give or have given may result in a cloud of plastic smelling smoke, and I officially dissolve FitFreak from responsibility for said advice or cloud of smoke, plastic smelling or otherwise. If I cite a source, be it another internet site or official Honda documentation, consider the information to be suspect and without merit. Proceed at your own risk, assume the worst, and remember that FitFreak shall not be liable in the event that anything goes awry.

If that's good enough for you, I'll put it in my signature to avoid any potential liability that FitFreak may incur as a result of someone taking an internet post as gospel. Is posting a disclaimer now common practice at FitFreak? It certainly is not listed in the Forum Rules, and I've yet to read such a disclaimer anywhere on this forum. In fact, I've never seen any internet forum require such a warning.

Last edited by toasty; 06-29-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM
I see. A disclaimer is necessary because you say so, not because it is required by the FitFreak forum rules. Also, you have the power to divine that I haven't read many posts on FitFreak, or been to many other sites. What a powerful moderator you are! I wasn't certain your post applied to me, but to make certain this "new guy" doesn't cause you any further concern on this issue, I'll put the above disclaimer in my signature [Although it was approved, the original Disclaimer signature was over the 500 character limit, so I adjusted it accordingly - toasty]

Whether your post was directed at me or not is beside the point. I have never seen such a disclaimer required on any other site (including this one), and the number of people both naïve enough to blindly follow unsourced internet advice, yet savvy enough to successfully bring suit against the same publicly accessible forum must be exceeding small. So small, as to be nonexistent; do you happen to have any information to back up your assertion?

In short, if FitFreak requires a disclaimer be posted with any advice, have it added to the Forum Rules and enforce the policy universally. Otherwise, perhaps you should preface your legal advice with a disclaimer.

Last edited by toasty; 06-29-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
c'mon toasty, more Fit getting and less mod-sass

In other news, I still can't find 14p

Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Mod sassing? Hardly.

If I'm to meet a requirement, I'd prefer to know of it beforehand. If someone is purporting their preference is a requirement, mod or not, I will call them on it. I respect mods and what they do, but it's important to remember that everything a mod posts has additional weight and importance because of their trusted position.

Claymore, I see you've backpedaled from your original dire warnings about litigation, etc. I routinely see advice here and elsewhere that I would never follow because of a variety of concerns, but I've yet to need a disclaimer to warn me off of some hazardous course. Perhaps I have more respect for the average intelligence of forum members where I post, because I don't see the need for a disclaimer, legal concerns included. I'll keep my signature as is, to assuage your concerns, and to serve as a reminder.

While I was reading a few other threads, I failed to notice all of the disclaimers that apparently should be included with each post. One post in particular caught my eye:

Originally Posted by claymore
Crazy as it sounds but it could work. Just get an old windshield washer plastic container and motor from another car that is smaller. Mount it under the City next to where the drip hose comes out and drill a hole into the windshield washer container to collect the drips. wire the container to a switch and supply it some power. Run a new hose from the container motor up to where you want to spray it. you may want to put in a nozzle or make one from a pinched piece of pipe because a mist of water works better than a large spray. And best of all the water is free. Let us know how it works.

Last edited by toasty; 07-02-2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: posted an example of a DIY post lacking a disclaimer
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
so did your fit come in, toasty? I'm waiting eagerly for this to become an actual DIY thread (and a reason to have the disclaimer )

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Me, too!

The Fit is Gone. No one at the dealership would comment on the very recent departure of saleswoman, but they got the car ready to roll by 1:30p. As I was removing the front plate holder, I noticed the bottom of the bumper cover was scuffed through the paint on both sides, directly in front of the wheels. They also called to let me know I need to go back and pick up the title (they were supposed to mail it to the state). I don't want them to fix the damage, but I wouldn't mind a free bottle of touch-up paint in lieu of repair.

I installed the all-season mats, rear cargo cover, and rear license plate frame before the wait was just too much for my wife, so she's heading into the surf. I still need to install the receiver hitch, tow lighting kit (calm down; it's for a bike rack), rear bumper protector, and wax it before turning it over for its Duel with Road Debris. We had just left the dealership, and Wife was already scooting up behind a construction debris dump truck on the highway. Crap was blowing all over, and I finally said something not-so-nice to get her to move.

I drove it for a few minutes alone, and I'm very impressed with the Fit's driving qualities. I still have reservations about how it'll do fully loaded, but it might not be that bad.

And no, I didn't have a chance to look for Connector 14P! That'll have to wait a few days for the Fit to return home.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
As I mentioned back in January in this thread about adding DRL to US spec Fit, and as Toasty has also pointed out, try to look for a 14-pin connector under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. You'd have to take the under dash cover off to find it.

If you have a sport, you can always follow my instructions in the Independent Fog Light thread, then Just leave your fog switch in the on position. It will turn off when you turn off the ignition, and be on automatically when you turn on the car. I think it might be easier to change the fog light bulb than the headlight bulbs on our car, so it might not be a bad idea to use the fogs as your DRL.

Or, since our cars are switch grounded, it actually makes it quite easy to allow all lights to be off when ignition is off. Just open up the steering column and find the blk wire coming out of the light switch harness. That would be the ground for the switch. Then just wire a relay inline so that it's open normally, and use a ignition switched wire to trigger the relay so that the circuit is only closed when the ignition is on.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
so did your fit come in, toasty? I'm waiting eagerly for this to become an actual DIY thread (and a reason to have the disclaimer )
At the risk of being slapped for a cross-post, I'll put this here as well. I just crawled under the dash of my USDM Fit; no Connector 14P to be found. With the exception of the DLC/OBD-II port, I didn't find any unpopulated connectors anywhere in the region. Unless Connector 14P is part of a sub-harness that connects elsewhere, enabling DRLs on a USDM Fit by way of Canadian Fit parts is not possible.

If I order the Helm electrical supp, I'll revisit the topic, but otherwise, no DRLs for me.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
nooooooo (insert crying smiley here)

oh well, I guess it was never meant to be

Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
nooooooo (insert crying smiley here)

oh well, I guess it was never meant to be
At least, not south of the 49th parallel. BTW, the connector you mentioned earlier is the DLC/OBD-II diagnostic port. Don't be stickin' nuthin in ther nless ya know what yer doin!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toasty
At least, not south of the 49th parallel. BTW, the connector you mentioned earlier is the DLC/OBD-II diagnostic port. Don't be stickin' nuthin in ther nless ya know what yer doin!
I don't plan on sticking anything in there. Guess I am back to my plan of buying that DRL box thingy.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 AM
That, or tell Mom to fly a kite.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
or drive the Honda Odyssey or Accord

wow, we have no "American" cars at our house anymore

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by j5ive
Or, since our cars are switch grounded, it actually makes it quite easy to allow all lights to be off when ignition is off. Just open up the steering column and find the blk wire coming out of the light switch harness. That would be the ground for the switch. Then just wire a relay inline so that it's open normally, and use a ignition switched wire to trigger the relay so that the circuit is only closed when the ignition is on.
So I noticed this thread is fairly old but this is exactly what I'd like to do on my new 09 Sport AT. Has anyone successfully done this or even better, have pics on how to DIY? I'm a bit nervous about taking this on as my first mod so any advice would be great!

I've read and appreciate the arguments against DRL's but I never want to have my battery drain because I forgot about the lights (again)! It's very annoying and I see little reason for not attaching them to the key or at least the alarm system.

Quick Reply: headlights off with ignition?