Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

AC water recycle (Crazy Idea)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
AC water recycle (Crazy Idea)

Hi,

I was thinking of an idea which I think it's crazy, as I live in hot country and I use most of the time AC, as because of the hot weather you will find a lot of water dripping from the AC hose, so I was thinking of using the water by installing windshield motor to suck the water and spray it back to the radiator or to my oil, ATF cooler, to cool it down.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
You sure read my mind, as it's exact what I was thinking but there is not much space for another container. I thought best thing it to insert a small hose into the drip hose and conect it with motor and would switch on when my AC is on, but the only flaw is that the drip hose can still drop water after switching off my AC, so there will not be anyplace for the water to go.
In the end is there any gain of all that, or just waste of time.

Originally Posted by claymore
Crazy as it sounds but it could work. Just get an old windshield washer plastic container and motor from another car that is smaller. Mount it under the City next to where the drip hose comes out and drill a hole into the windshield washer container to collect the drips. wire the container to a switch and supply it some power. Run a new hose from the container motor up to where you want to spray it. you may want to put in a nozzle or make one from a pinched piece of pipe because a mist of water works better than a large spray. And best of all the water is free. Let us know how it works.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on the RH (relative humidity) the amount of water may not be much. If it is VERY humid, you could have quite a bit of water.

The easiest thing to do would be collect it into a bottle for a day or so (.5l soda bottle or the like) to see how much you will get.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

That's an interesting idea. A couple other things to consider would be:

How would you know if the bottle runs dry?

If it's pumping it out faster than it's collecting it then you would end up burning up the pump.

Washer pumps are intended for occasional intermittent use not steady continuous use for long periods.

A possible solution to this problem could be:
1. 2 contacts that complete the circuit to power the pump or better yet to complete the ground for the pump being placed inside the bottle about 1/2 way from the top.

This would allow the bottle to fill with enough water to insure the pump wouldn't run dry. As the water level rises it comes in contact with the 2 contacts completing the circuit.

Then as it pumps the water out the level drops and the circuit would be broken stopping the pump.

2. Same as above but using a floating disc (cork or foam) with metal sheeting or foil on it to complete the circuit and having the contacts in the lid pointing down.

Small flathead bolts or screws could be used for the contacts which would make their height adjustable.

3. A electric timer to pulse the pump once in a while but that wouldn't insure there was water in the bottle for the pump.

Just about forgot. How about a paint can spray tip that you could slip right into the hose and clamp in place for a spray nozzle? Easily mounted just about anywhere. Assuming the water would spray thru it that is.

Just some more ideas for you to play with. Keep us posted.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 06-01-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Nice idea, but what a big hassle.

Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
That's an interesting idea. A couple other things to consider would be:

How would you know if the bottle runs dry?

If it's pumping it out faster than it's collecting it then you would end up burning up the pump.

Washer pumps are intended for occasional intermittent use not steady continuous use for long periods.

A possible solution to this problem could be:
1. 2 contacts that complete the circuit to power the pump or better yet to complete the ground for the pump being placed inside the bottle about 1/2 way from the top.

This would allow the bottle to fill with enough water to insure the pump wouldn't run dry. As the water level rises it comes in contact with the 2 contacts completing the circuit.

Then as it pumps the water out the level drops and the circuit would be broken stopping the pump.

2. Same as above but using a floating disc (cork or foam) with metal sheeting or foil on it to complete the circuit and having the contacts in the lid pointing down.

Small flathead bolts or screws could be used for the contacts which would make their height adjustable.

3. A electric timer to pulse the pump once in a while but that wouldn't insure there was water in the bottle for the pump.

Just about forgot. How about a paint can spray tip that you could slip right into the hose and clamp in place for a spray nozzle? Easily mounted just about anywhere. Assuming the water would spray thru it that is.

Just some more ideas for you to play with. Keep us posted.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
You dont have to have it on constanly, just set up to a switch and if your stuck in traffic on a hot day, flip it on, or if your racing flip it on, you can also always fill it up yourself if you know your going to go on a long trip and want to be able to kool it off.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
You dont have to have it on constanly, just set up to a switch and if your stuck in traffic on a hot day, flip it on, or if your racing flip it on, you can also always fill it up yourself if you know your going to go on a long trip and want to be able to kool it off.
Filling it up would defeat the whole idea of recycling the water from the A/C that he was shooting for in the first place.

Yeah it would be a big hassle but if he wants to do it then why not.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think it will cool a lot.
Maybe better just install low temp fan and low thermostat and that will cool it a little.

Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Filling it up would defeat the whole idea of recycling the water from the A/C that he was shooting for in the first place.

Yeah it would be a big hassle but if he wants to do it then why not.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kimo
I don't think it will cool a lot.
Maybe better just install low temp fan and low thermostat and that will cool it a little.
I don't think it would either since the source for the water is the high humidity in the first place. If it was for the desert or a low humidity area then it would have a better cooling effect. But then you wouldn't get as much water for it to work. Catch 22.

You could always hook your fan up to a toggle switch so you can turn it on whenever you want.