Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY - Mugen Short Shift Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
DIY - Mugen Short Shift Install

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
Tools: 12 mm socket/rachet, needle nose pliers, flat & phillips screwdrivers
Time: an hour or less

Instructions provided are in Japanese with a few pics. I don't read Japanese so I'm winging it here.

Remove the gear shift knob by turning counterclockwise.
Carefully pull out the plastic plug under the e brake handle

.................................................. .................................................. .
There's two plugs in the front of the center console that look like this. Push the center part and it will pop the plug right out.

.................................................. .................................................. .
Remove the two phillips screws that hold the back of the console on.

Now lift up the back of the console and unplug the 12volt outlet wire (yell/blk) and for you sport owners the audio jack wire.

Next pry up the two white plugs that hold the wire loom down on the right side. One at back one on front right.

Here's a pic of one piece of the linkage, a cotter pin has to be unbent and removed. Next take off the black washer and slide the rod end to the left off of the white post. A new cotter pin is included with this kit.

Next remove the black piece shown here. There are two black plugs under the edge of the carpet that can be pryed up to remove this section. Carefully tilt it to remove the front part from the center dash.

Here is what it looks like so far. The linkage on the left (black piece) has to be turned about a quater turn counterclockwise to remove it from the white shift assembly (already turned in this pic, just lift up to remove). The linkage on the right has already had its holder removed (a piece of steel has to be pryed straight up). A new steel piece is included with this kit.

Next take out the four 12mm bolts holding the assembly down. Look underneath and pull apart the black wire that holds the white piece to the shifter shaft. Don't bend it out of shape, you need to reuse it.

Install the new shift assembly in reverse order and don't forget to hook up the 12 volt & audio plugs. Here's the new assembly.

I measured from the dashboard to the center of the shaft without the shift knob for the following:

Stock neutral: 7 1/4 inches
Mugen neutral: 7 3/8 inches

Stock 3rd gear: 5 1/2 inches
Mugen 3rd gear: 5 7/8 inches

Stock 4th gear: 9 1/4 inches
Mugen 4th gear: 8 7/8 inches

Stock shaft height above console: 5 1/4 inches
Mugen shaft height above console: 4 1/2 inches

Approximate throw from 3rd to 4th:
Stock: 3 3/4 inches
Mugen: 3 inches

Sorry no driving impressions yet but it feels nice in the drivway
Hope my instructions help, you can do it!

Last edited by Raimondas; 07-06-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
sweet dude cant wait to hear some reviews after you drive it

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Retired Moderator
Excellent Maybe I can do this myself heheheh I'll give her a shot tomorrow since I got the day off!

Last edited by Illusive; 07-05-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
LOVE the way it makes the boot look. I have a soft spot for the OEM boot.
*blushes*

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 AM
awsome post... I will be getting this mod for sure.... btw no other SS kits out there are there? I trust Mugen's quality and don't mind the price... install looks pretty strait forward

Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
very awesome write up. I thought about getting this, but I have a GReddy counter-weight knob in which I like a lot, sits real low on the shifter and is weighted for easier shifts. I think it does the job for me. I'll post pics of it sometime for comparison.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
*blushes*
Ribbed for your pleasure

Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 AM
*blushes*
so do i, it was one of the things that sold me into buying the fit. i get mad when people touch it. Harharhar

Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Nice

A few errands around town, this thing feels great. It should have come like this from the factory. Feels firmer, not so sloppy around neutral and works good for my seating position.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Illusive
Ribbed for your pleasure
I love the feeling.... Wait, shifting. You know!!

so do i, it was one of the things that sold me into buying the fit. i get mad when people touch it. Harharhar
Same here! People always tell me to change it too. "Ditch that accordion boot! Its not the 80's anymore."

Im sure Ill change it. The Mugen boot makes me happy also.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Excelent write up and good pics!

Im sure Ill change it. The Mugen boot makes me happy also.
My Mugen boot makes me happy, you should get it!
Yellow stitching to match your wheels? haha!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Raimondas
A few errands around town, this thing feels great. It should have come like this from the factory. Feels firmer, not so sloppy around neutral and works good for my seating position.
I'm assuming by the pics you don't have the JDM console/armrest ... but it doesn't sit that much lower than stock.. wondering how this setup would go with the jdm arm-rest... as far as position of your elbow is and what not

Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the tutorial!

I'll be installing mine today here in Sydney Australia. Will report back ASAP.

I do have an arm rest, my elbow does hit it every now and then when shifting, might need to take it off (it's an aftermarket one) if it gets in the way of shifting with the short shifter.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the write up Raimondas. Really helped when I wasn't sure about some parts of the install, the diagrams don't help much. Installation went well without a hitch, lovin' my new SS

Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
cant wait to get mine!! nice write up

Old 07-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Just put mine in myself thanks to this guide! It's a lot clearer than the instructions that come from Mugen.

Took me about 45 minutes, no hassles at all. VERY easy!

I'm about to go out for a drive now, report back soon!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
quick question, is this the same one that's for the JDM Fits? I'm going to the Phillipines at the end of this year so if it's the same one for the JDM Fits, then I'm gonna pick one up there cause I THINK it'll be cheaper.

I hope someone can confirm this.

THanks

Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Just get some advice on checking for COPIES, COUNTERFIT, there are a LOt of fakes in the south East Asia area.
Thanks. I'm making it a point to make sure I'm getting Genuine parts when I go there. I'm very well aware of the replicas of EVERYTHING they have in Asia.

So... does anyone have this info? wheather it'll fit or not? if no one can help me on this, and I can get it for a good price while I'm there, then I'll just buy one and test fit it myslef.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 AM
OK initially it felt like a massive difference. Very stiff and notchy. I loved it instantly... BUT. After a whole days worth of driving it feels like normal again. It's nothing like a TRD short shifter, not as notchy nor as short and punchy but all in all it's a great mod that makes an already pretty good shift even better.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justinfox
OK initially it felt like a massive difference. Very stiff and notchy. I loved it instantly... BUT. After a whole days worth of driving it feels like normal again. It's nothing like a TRD short shifter, not as notchy nor as short and punchy but all in all it's a great mod that makes an already pretty good shift even better.
interesting.. I may just opt to pay 1/4 less and get the Skunk2 kit.

Quick Reply: DIY - Mugen Short Shift Install