Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Quarter panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Quarter panel damage

Hi all -

The wife hit a massive pothole recently, bending both rims and blowing out both passenger side tires.

Well, to add insult to injury, as I was changing the front passenger side tire (on an uneven gravel road) the car fell off the jack. To make matters worse, I had the new tire leaning against the disc brakes (to make sure I had the car jacked up high enough to accept the new tire) so when the jack slipped the whole weight of the car came down and rested on the tire that was sitting there. This resulted in the the front passenger side quarter panel rumpling considerably just above the wheel well, knocking off some paint, (which is now giving away to rust) bending some of the metal surrounding the wheel well, and making the lines where the quarter panel meets the other parts of the car clearly skewed and out of alignment.

My dealership said that they would give me a free estimate, which is nice, but I think we all know that their price is probably going to be through the roof to repair. So I guess I'm curious if this would be at all possible for me to fix on my own? Or, could I buy the piece myself and just pay someone to put it on? Obviously, I'm just trying to save some money on what would be a cosmetic issue.

The damage around the wheel well is not extreme and I can deal with it being a little bent. And if I find the right piece, I don't mind the lines of the car not being completely perfect.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
hi there, sorry to hear about ur fit/jazz.

i dont know what the rest of the people on this forum would say, but if the price quoted from the dealer isnt too much of a difference compared to getting someone else to fix it, i'll go for the dealer and making sure they get it done perfect.

but then saying that, if it isnt too much damage i would prob give it ago myself...

Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
do what Paul says, and also, something everyuone will agree with. "You should have used jackstands along with the Jack you used to raise it up"

Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
from what u are describing, it sounds like your front passenger fender is the only damage. Why not go buy a new passenger side fender from honda, take it to a body shop 2 get it painted and install it yourself. If it's only the fender, then it is easily replaceable.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
from what u are describing, it sounds like your front passenger fender is the only damage. Why not go buy a new passenger side fender from honda, take it to a body shop 2 get it painted and install it yourself. If it's only the fender, then it is easily replaceable.
that's what im getting from the OP. if it's just a fender, it's gotta be easy. just a few bolts holding it on. buy a fender from honda or other retailer.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Angry

Koolkevin - the damage is to the highlighted piece, and more specifically centered just above the arrow.

You should have used jackstands along with the Jack
Now we just need to get Honda to start including them, along with a valet key

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Get a new one... they are replaceable. They come off with a little work by removing the bolts holding it down in the engine bay and the door frame.

EDIT: There is a valet key.....

I have 3 keys, one of them is the valet key... Check your manual, mine was in the silver pouch from the Honda dealership.

Also, if you didn't get one, ask for it from Honda, you are allowed to have 3 copies per ECU...

Last edited by CuTeBoi; 12-27-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the info. Do you know a place where I can find these replacement pieces or any info on how to remove the panel?

As far as the valet key goes, I was looking for one specifically for the glove box. Unfortunately, there's not even a lock there, so there wouldn't be much use for a key. I had a 98 Civic with a locking glove box and a special key (valet key) that would only start the ignition.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
that is your fender, your quater panels are in the back, and those do not unbolt haha If thats all that is wrong then just buy a new fender

Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 AM
OK, so I found a couple replacement fenders online for around $125.

Here is a link to one such place:
South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store

I'm assuming the fender will come shipped, unpainted, leaving it up to me to get the job done locally. If that's the case, does anyone have any suggestions on getting a good color match or who to entrust it to? I'm not sure if there is a paint code (we have the rusty copper/orange color Fit) to match the paint that is on there now?

I still haven't had the car into the dealership for the free estimate, but I'm assuming it's going to be quite a bit cheaper DIY'ing it.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Color code is on the drivers side door frame, it should be on your lower left side, and it says: "COLOR: ###" it's simple.. you really should read your manual and all the car's documentation.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
So, I've exhausted the search feature looking for a how-to on removing the fender. Does anyone have a link?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
here you go, look under service manual
Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT Making Comfortable

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Seeing as I have to replace me fender/fenders also, I looked into the fender removal on some Honda parts list thing.

Theres like 3-4 bolts. It explains why the fenders flex when you pull on them.
What color is your car? The ONLY thing Im worried about is the fenders color matching.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I have the Blaze Orange Metallic. I was going to take the replacement up to the local body shop and have them do it. They were telling me that they wanted to paint the fender and the door to guarantee a good color match. But it was going to quite a bit more to do the door. My question is, is it imperative to get a neighboring piece painted as well, or can I take my chances and hope it's a good match. Obviously, I'm trying to do this job inexpensively.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotgravy
I have the Blaze Orange Metallic. I was going to take the replacement up to the local body shop and have them do it. They were telling me that they wanted to paint the fender and the door to guarantee a good color match. But it was going to quite a bit more to do the door. My question is, is it imperative to get a neighboring piece painted as well, or can I take my chances and hope it's a good match. Obviously, I'm trying to do this job inexpensively.
they always say that shit and try and take peoples money. ok question, if you do get that done, do you think it will match your rear door??? NO! you should be fine, my paint matched just fine. Ive had my car for a year now so jus get your fender painted, from a diff shop

Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by hotgravy
If they know what theyre doing, they can paint the fender perfectly them self.
Id understand if they didnt have the car and the fender didnt match, but if you leave the car with them and the fender doesnt match they suck.

George, so your cars paint came out good? Im sure a lot of blending was involved.
I painted my rear garnish yesterday, during the day it looks perfect. At night under certain lights its a shade or 2 off.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
If they know what theyre doing, they can paint the fender perfectly them self.
Id understand if they didnt have the car and the fender didnt match, but if you leave the car with them and the fender doesnt match they suck.

George, so your cars paint came out good? Im sure a lot of blending was involved.
I painted my rear garnish yesterday, during the day it looks perfect. At night under certain lights its a shade or 2 off.
yup, you cant even tell anything happend, I was really suprised how good of a job they did