Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Power Polisher on Your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Retired Moderator
Power Polisher on Your Fit

Soooo has anyone used a power polisher and a light swirl remover on their Fit yet? I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to use it, but it's still too cold outside for me to be experimenting. If so, how did it go? I know our paint is crappy, but some people are reporting their paint lifting off. I'm worried the light abrasives might permanently mar the paint on my car.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i think it ll work perfect, i just get nervous aobut usuing one and the metal insides poking through... it will prolly let your arms not fall off though after doing a good waxjob, i always wanted one too- what one did you get?>
try like 1/2 the hood or someithng and do a comparo.... let us know!!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Retired Moderator
I will do the hood as a comparison when I decide to do it. I want to go out and do it this weekend, but I don't think I should until it is spring and all this snow crap is out of the way The one I got is from autogeek.net. Got the Porter Cable 7424 with Pinnacle's XMT light swirl remover. Gonna pick up some Signature Series II Carnuba Wax and some other stuff later once they restock. Also got their Clay Bar and wheel/tire kit Lots of goodies, can't wait to use them!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Illusive
I will do the hood as a comparison when I decide to do it. I want to go out and do it this weekend, but I don't think I should until it is spring and all this snow crap is out of the way The one I got is from autogeek.net. Got the Porter Cable 7424 with Pinnacle's XMT light swirl remover. Gonna pick up some Signature Series II Carnuba Wax and some other stuff later once they restock. Also got their Clay Bar and wheel/tire kit Lots of goodies, can't wait to use them!
Justin, have you checked out the following site:

eShine Canada- Canada's Car Care Leader.

Their shipping is FREE for orders over $100 and they are in Canada. They sell the barebone Porter Cable 7424 for $160 + tax.

With the Porter Cable, just make sure your car is dust free and there is little chance you can put more swirl marks in or burning through the paint.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
I am a Ceritified Master Detailer and have buffed my car on numerous occassions with no problems, so you shouldnt have any at all.

Is this your first time with a high speed buffer, if is. Put the buffer on the lowest speed possible to start off until you get used to it. Or you WILL RUIN PAINT.

Believe me I know from experience.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by saralee
Justin, have you checked out the following site:

eShine Canada- Canada's Car Care Leader.

Their shipping is FREE for orders over $100 and they are in Canada. They sell the barebone Porter Cable 7424 for $160 + tax.

With the Porter Cable, just make sure your car is dust free and there is little chance you can put more swirl marks in or burning through the paint.
Yeah I'm planning on using eShine for my waxes since I can get free shipping. The deal with autogeek.net for their buffer + kits was too good to pass up...that and our strong dollar made the USD prices equal to CAD funds. I think I got my Porter Cable for $130

Originally Posted by ChrisG
I am a Ceritified Master Detailer and have buffed my car on numerous occassions with no problems, so you shouldnt have any at all.

Is this your first time with a high speed buffer, if is. Put the buffer on the lowest speed possible to start off until you get used to it. Or you WILL RUIN PAINT.

Yes this is my first time using one of these bad boys. Any extra tips ChrisG? Autogeek.net has videos showing you how to do it and they included a little flyer with instructions. They said to use speed 5 when using the 7424 when applying the abrasives. How much force do I need to apply? They say that the buffer will stop if I apply too much force. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Illusive; 01-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
i worked at a detailing shop, so our first step(at least mine) was to apply a road debri remover on every part of the car, either the car is washed or not. If it is washed, put the product of your choice to remove all the crap in ur paint in a cotton towel or microfiber and slowly apply it to all the car like if you were waxing it with it. This prevents the power buffer to scratch ur paint. Oh, and if ur using the power polisher's wax applicator to put in it the wax, start off with a slow speed. If u do it with a fast one, the wax will be all over the place instead in the car lol. Its not recommended to put wax directly into the car and spreading it with the PP. Use medium force to it, too hard can harm the surfaaces, too soft the buffer will go crazy and jump out of your hands.
hope i made sense

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah the little flyer said to put about a quarter sized amount on the pad, then spread it around before turning the PP on otherwise you'll have crap flung all over the room hahaha. I bought all of the necessary Lake Country pads for application and have the lambswool pad and microfiber covers for removing the wax

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisG

If he purchased the PC 7424 it would be very hard for him to ruin his paint with it, you would have to hold it in place with alot of pressure for minutes to ruin the paint. You can really only ruin your paint with a rotary buffer and being a Certified Master Detailer i would thing you would know that.

When using the PC you should put your polish on the pad and spread it on the paint using speed 2-3. Then work the polish on speed 6 in a up and down then left to right pattern overlapping about half of the previous pass. You will see the polish start to look clearer and that will tell you its been worked thouroughly. Its time to wipe the polish off and inspect to see if you need to do another round of polish to have the area defect free.

Here is a great example of how to you the PC

How to polish your paint with Menzerna super intense polish and PO106FF using the Porter Cable 7424

I might not be a Certified Master Detailer but every car we have has flawless paint thanks to me detailing them.

EDIT:

Here is also a great resource for learning about detailing/polishing

Car Detailing - How to polish your paint to a high gloss finish

Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda Paint is Also Notoriously know to be very soft paint. You should not need very much pressure are all when using the correct pad and polish combination.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use Griot's random orbital and will be using their one-step sealant on
their orange pad on my commuters starting this spring.

i dont feel like spending too much time on a car that gets dirtified every
damn day.... will wash, remove old wax (Paint Prep), spot clay rough
areas, and do the one-step sealant. then Prima Hydro from there.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Retired Moderator
One last question, when using the PP, do you work one section from start to finish or use one product all over, then move to the next product, etc?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
One last question, when using the PP, do you work one section from start to finish or use one product all over, then move to the next product, etc?
yah, you'd want to use the same product and finish your car before
moving onto the next product because your pad will dry up if you dont
keep applying more product on.

so i usually work 18x18" area at a time and do the entire car with the
same product. get my next product out and 18x18" at a time and do
the entire car.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Retired Moderator
Cool, thanks for the help!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by ir13
If he purchased the PC 7424 it would be very hard for him to ruin his paint with it, you would have to hold it in place with alot of pressure for minutes to ruin the paint. You can really only ruin your paint with a rotary buffer and being a Certified Master Detailer i would thing you would know that.

When using the PC you should put your polish on the pad and spread it on the paint using speed 2-3. Then work the polish on speed 6 in a up and down then left to right pattern overlapping about half of the previous pass. You will see the polish start to look clearer and that will tell you its been worked thouroughly. Its time to wipe the polish off and inspect to see if you need to do another round of polish to have the area defect free.

Here is a great example of how to you the PC

How to polish your paint with Menzerna super intense polish and PO106FF using the Porter Cable 7424

I might not be a Certified Master Detailer but every car we have has flawless paint thanks to me detailing them.

EDIT:

Here is also a great resource for learning about detailing/polishing

Car Detailing - How to polish your paint to a high gloss finish

What do you think a rotary buffer is???????

His Porter Cable is a high speed rotary buffer....Im not getting in a pissing contest with you about who is the better detailer. I have been detailing cars for over the past 5 years. And have seen first hand what a buffer can do to a cars paint.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Retired Moderator
Isn't the Porter Cable 7424 a Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher? Or is this just another big fancy name for rotary buffer?

EDIT: Is a rotary buffer a circular polisher? If that's the case, they recommend those for experts and professionals...

Last edited by Illusive; 01-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Isn't the Porter Cable 7424 a Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher? Or is this just another big fancy name for rotary buffer?

EDIT: Is a rotary buffer a circular polisher? If that's the case, they recommend those for experts and professionals...
Does it look like a die grinder with a different head on it? If so, that would be a high speed buffer.

Justin, if you lived closer I would show you how to do it. But you are just tad too far away.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Retired Moderator
lol it's a nice drive from Virginia to Alberta hahaha...

From what I've seen, the internals look like a set of planetary gears so it makes sense that it not only rotates at the center of the pad, but also spins around (if that makes any sense) in a circle while rotating...if this is making your head hurt and don't know what planetary gears are, google it It's cool

Here is the description and image from the site I bought the PP from:

The Porter Cable 7424 is our most popular polisher! With user-friendly features and a random orbital motion, the Porter Cable 7424 is the easiest way to remove swirls, polish paint, and apply wax. Because it’s a dual action buffer, it comes with all the convenience of machine polishing but none of the risks associated with rotary buffers.

Dual action polishers are excellent for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Dual action polishers are characterized by the motion of the head. It spins on a central spindle, and this spindle rotates around an eccentric offset. A good metaphor for a dual action polisher is the earth’s orbit. The earth itself spins and it also orbits around the sun. Dual action polishers are also called random orbital polishers for this reason.

A dual-action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 enhances the performance of many rubbing compounds and swirl removers by providing at least twice the rubbing action than you can by hand. These polishers attack scratches from all sides without the user doing extra work. This multidirectional motion also enhances the results of buffing bonnets by moving in a faster and more consistent motion than you could by hand. You get results faster with the Porter Cable 7424.

Last edited by Illusive; 01-17-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
get your set from Detailers Paradise. they have a very competitive
starter's bundle set along with their own products.

tell Heather kenchan from NorthAmericanMotoring sent you. she'll know
exactly who kenchan is.

Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing

you can also get your mastercare package from Griot's.. they
will make a custom one for you. costs about $600+ for the
entire set. that's where i got mine. Griot's is not a pc brand
random orbital. i think the units are made by hitachi.

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Retired Moderator
too late lol, I already ordered mine...cost me a pretty penny, but I went with Pinnacle products...

Quick Reply: Power Polisher on Your Fit