Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

First problem, starter gone. DO NOT DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned
First problem, starter gone. DO NOT DIY

After 2 years of faithful service my starter started not turning every once in a while so I decided to buy a new one and put it in as my Warranty had just run out (what else).

There are only two big bolts and two wire connections involved in removing and replacing the starter but it's a BITCH to do and if you don't just love rolling around under the car or being stretched out over the engine killing your back GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT.

Sounds very easy to do, just remove the two bolts disconnect the two connections and take it out and reverse the process to put it back in.

The big lower bolt (manual trans not sure if the auto is the same) is real easy to get to and take out takes about a minute (after taking off the plastic lower splash apron).

But the top bolt is a STONE BITCH to get at. You can see it real easy just looking into the engine bay but the way the starter is built and the surrounding hoses and wire runs means there is no room to get at it.

In addition to being hard to get at it has some kind of coating on it so it never would turn easy even when loose.

The problems is if you do it from the top where you can see you need to use several different length extensions an a universal joint and the angle is so severe you can't get it straight enough to break it loose.

If you try and do it from the bottom of the engine you can't see the bolt and you end up needing help from a partner up above to slide the socket on and hold the socket on while you are underneath turning the ratchet.

Then the battery cable connection is covered with a large rubber boot that keeps getting in the way when you try to slip your hand into the tiny space to loosen the nut.

Then the smaller connector..... it just pulls off but it also has a rubber boot and you can't see it to slide the clip back on.

Hint roll the rubber boots back to keep them out of way.

I finally got the upper bolt loose by using a wrench and almost giving myself a hernia breaking it loose at the weird angle and then using the ratchet, three extensions, and a universal joint to finally get it out.

Fixed the problem by cutting down the bolt about 1/2 inch and wire brushing the threads so it screwed back in using fingertips only.

Bottom line get someone else to do it.

I'm hoping that this is not the start of problems as my Jazz has never needed any repairs before this and the warranty has run out.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry you had so much trouble. Thanks for the informative post, even if it wasn't exactly what we'd like to hear. on the flip side if this is the first major trouble you've had with the Fit, it may not be so bad. How many miles/km's do you have on it?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned
I don't drive it much because I get a free work car so even though it's 2 years old there is just over 18,900 KM on it. Yep it's hasn't had any other problems before just maintenance and mod goodies so that's still pretty reliable.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by claymore
I finally got the upper bolt loose by using a wrench and almost giving myself a hernia breaking it loose at the weird angle and then using the ratchet, three extensions, and a universal joint to finally get it out.
Priceless...absolutely priceless ...
I had my A$$ handed to me trying to swap my alternator in my old, old civic. Mine had a really bad outcome though...but you actually got it done in the end....CONGRATS!!!
I will definitely keep this in mind if I feel adventerous and lucky at the same time while contemplating such a fix.