Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How can i fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
How can i fix this?

Okay so hello everyone my name is Marsha, this is my first time posting on here.

I've had my black 08' (auto) Sport Fit since probably Oct of last year and i really love it but I'm not SUPER gentle with it [plus i drive a lot] so of course there is slight wear and tear that im hoping maybe some of you can help me fix. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section btw...

The dash on the passengers side somehow got a couple of scratches on it. I dont know how it happened but its on the little black bumpy part of that dash and the scratches arent incredibly deep but i'm wondering if there is some paint i can buy or something i can do to get rid of them. I'm at work right now so I cant post pictures but i will definetly post them later so you guys can have a more detailed description.

Has anyone else been experiencing scratches to this material on the interior or is it just me? Because the same bumpy material on the sidepaneling in the trunk also has scratches and they really bother me. The ones in the trunk are deeper and slightly more noticable.

Thank you for reading.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
welcome

haha i have scratches all over my door pannels where my foot kicks and in the trunk from moving stuff around. honestly there isnt much you can do except becarefull maybe use some armorall to shinny it up a bit but other than that you got scratches its a car tho so it happens dun worry about it :P and welcome to ff

Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah the dash parts are rubber/plastic, so theres not much to do repair wise when they get scratched badly. The only thing I can think of is possibly finding a matt black or dark gray paint that closely matches the color and touch it up that way. Other than that theres not much that can be done. (Maybe put a decal over it)

Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
you can try a small butane type heater, not a lighter, but a heater, like the ones an electrician would use, and gently, gradually, heat up the scratch and massage the plastic until it becomes smooth again. this requires skill and patience, but you can successfully hide large deep scratches with this method.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Wow good call flye, never thought about heating the thing. But yeah that can take time and patience. Guess i'm not very patient.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by flyellow
you can try a small butane type heater, not a lighter, but a heater, like the ones an electrician would use, and gently, gradually, heat up the scratch and massage the plastic until it becomes smooth again. this requires skill and patience, but you can successfully hide large deep scratches with this method.
That's actually a good idea. I'll try it and let you guys know how it goes.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Oor

I was thinking maybe id get a carbon fiber piece custom fitted for just that area and only the air conditioning vent. Probably would be a little pricey but would look clean as hell.

Anyone know where id be able to get a hold of that/ get it done at?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I would stray away from heating it up...
I work with plastics often and have to shape and reform them as well as do patchwork, and if you are not used to it or dont do it often I wouldnt even bother (heck I dont think I would even bother)
Thoroughly cleaning it will atleast hide some of the scratch and applying a protectant might deepen the scratched area (color wise) so that it might look less obtrusive.

If you do go about the heating method you can also use a heat gun (but be very, very careful) And use a small ball burnisher to...well burnish in the divots and a flat spade like tool to burnish the larger area....but still not worth it IMH(of most H)O.

You could try painting it, but I think that is just not goint to give the amount of improvement that you might want.

you could get the panel replaced I suppose, either new or from a scrapper (i dont know how easy or cheap that would be though)

you could cover the panel in your choice of adhesive backed flexible sheeting....maybe something like vinyl?

I have not seen a CF piece for that yet...but...ya never know....custom would probably be a pretty penny. (Heck I could make one for myself...but it still wouldnt, because I couldnt see it being worth the money... hahahaaa for me anyway)

I hope something in there^^^ helped
good luck

Oh... Welcome BTW

Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I got scratches on the door by the speaker from kinda kicking the door open and on the trunk but it is expected.

For the deep scratch on the dash. Just put an adhesive bandage to cover up the boo boo.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned
I would stear far away from any type of armorall products, I've heard nothing but bad things about the long term effects

Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
I would stear far away from any type of armorall products, I've heard nothing but bad things about the long term effects
yeah i've heard bad things about armor-all protectants from people who say they hear it from friends of friends or someone on the forums...but i don't see how it is true based on my personal experience. I used it on my 1994 accord (no window tint) that was parked outdoors in the sun for its entire life, until we sold it last year. the dash never cracked, deteriorated, or anything like that. how long is considered long enough for the negative long-term effects that people propose?

I use aerospace protectant now, but that's because i don't like the greasiness and the smell of armor-all.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by doctordoom
yeah i've heard bad things about armor-all protectants from people who say they hear it from friends of friends or someone on the forums...but i don't see how it is true based on my personal experience. I used it on my 1994 accord (no window tint) that was parked outdoors in the sun for its entire life, until we sold it last year. the dash never cracked, deteriorated, or anything like that. how long is considered long enough for the negative long-term effects that people propose?

I use aerospace protectant now, but that's because i don't like the greasiness and the smell of armor-all.

I've seen dashes crack because of armorall, personally I use Honda polish just to clean it, then I don't use a protectant, I really dislike the look of a shiny dash