Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Independent Fog w/ Original Switch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
for philippine edition, you can turn on the fogs with parklight on... no need to turn headlights on... what i wanna do is make my fog indicator from the guage work... can anybody help me on this?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Thx for the info... i have wanted to do this since i bought my fit just didn't know which wires.
Very easy to do with about $5 and 10 minutes

Last edited by derrick.withers; 06-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Its about to get FOGGY IN HEERE

Name:  foglights.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 AM
i love the independent fog lights!
thx will (bitoy) for helping we mine

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PwRmAd
Its about to get FOGGY IN HEERE

Nice! But one question. Is that the right size add-a-circuit? Looks a little big from the pic. Make sure b4 you start the project that you take it out of the package and try it to see if it fits in your fuse slots.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
It says design to add a circuit up to ten amps

Btw do you have to disconnect the battery?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
DAMNNN the ten amp fuses in our car are tinnnnnnyyy. I definatly got the wrong one...crap. o well back to pep boys

Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ascGD3
i love the independent fog lights!
thx will (bitoy) for helping we mine
In that case you can help me with mine

Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
It says design to add a circuit up to ten amps

Btw do you have to disconnect the battery?
I didnt disconnect my battery

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ato- At Original (i Think)

Atm- At Mini (correct Ones)

Old 07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I just finished the fog light mod and works perfectly!!

only things i would add as heads up for those attempting

1) i would personally use 14 or 16 gauge wire. I used 12 gauge which worked fine, it was just a little large and stiff. I think the fog light wire is 16 gauge.

2) When purchasing the ADD-A-Circuit make sure it says ATM or Mini on the package.

3) As sick fit said putting the two fuses in the add a circuit, its a tight fit, using a pair of vice grips (gently) makes it easier.

Other than that great write up and a fun mod to do

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
I just finished the fog light mod and works perfectly!!

only things i would add as heads up for those attempting

1) i would personally use 14 or 16 gauge wire. I used 12 gauge which worked fine, it was just a little large and stiff. I think the fog light wire is 16 gauge.

2) When purchasing the ADD-A-Circuit make sure it says ATM or Mini on the package.

3) As sick fit said putting the two fuses in the add a circuit, its a tight fit, using a pair of vice grips (gently) makes it easier.

Other than that great write up and a fun mod to do
THnaks for the head ups dude. The funny thing was I changed the gauge size yesterday in the morning on the original post for materials needed when I saw your pics and I realized it was 14 that i used. 12 was a bit bigger. But thanks for the heads up again for telling us that the 12 worked too. Sorry if it was an inconvinience.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!

sick fit wrote "yellow/red" wire which means "yellow wire with red stripe"

what he meant was "red/yellow" wire which means "red wire with yellow stripe"

red/yellow and yellow/red are NOT the same thing!!!!!!

PLEASE BE CARE to all the posters

Originally Posted by SickFit
Before I begin, I know there is question about this working with high beam or not. But this is not to work in conjunction with highbeams.
There are more steps for that and I do not know them. This is just for those FitFreak members that want Independent Fogs.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I know you have seen many ways already for setting up an independent fog switch. This info has been gathered from reading all the threads and posts on this topic and of course doing it myself. So thanks to those that figured this out.

I have performed this mini project on 5 local Fits (Including mine) and they ALL HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL with NO HIGHBEAM DASH LIGHT ON.

Please follow these easy steps and please do not add on to these instructions, and you will be on your way to Independent Fogs!

Difficulty Level from 1-10: 2

Most Importantly Materials You will need before you begin.
- one 16 - 12 gauge wire about 2 feet legth.
- an "add a circuit" that brings 10amp fuses from your local auto store.
- Cutting plyers.
- Connectors w/ wire crimper or Solder tool
- Electrical tape

Step 1: Remove the Steering wheel dash cover. A little tug will do.

Step 2: There will be three harness that you are facing. Locate the harness to your left. This one... and take it out like so.

Step 3: Locate the Yellow/Red wire on that harness. And cut it about 1-2 inches from the harness like so.

Step 4: In this step you may use either a solder tool like Atticus (Fitfreak Member) did or you may use a simple connector like I did. Also, you may now disregard the loose wire from the bundle and focus on only the Yellow/Red wire that is still on the harness. Go ahead and strip about 1cm of wire to bare copper. And either solder or add a connecter to that end like so with a 2 foot spare wire you bought or have lying around that is about or equal to the same width of the wire that is on the harness.

or

Step 5: Locate the Fuse box door to the bottom left of the steering wheel location like so and unlock and remove the door.

Step 6: When you look inside you will see the fuse box. Go ahead and remove the 10amp fuse from slot #3 with your little white fuse remover which you should have in your fuse box. I know Atticus was not pointing at slot #3 but just look at slot #3 and remove that 10amp fuse and set aside.

Step 7: Go back up to your steering dash and run the 2 foot long wire (red wire you see) that you connected with the Yellow/Red wire to the back of the steering wheel and you should see the wire go down the back of the steering wheel dash smoothly like so to where you should then see it reach to the fuse box.

Step 8: Now this is where you use the "add a circuit". Go ahead a cut the 2 foot long wire (that went in back of the steering wheel) to proper length to get rid of excess wire and connect the 2 foot long wire to the "add a circuit" and use the wire crimper like so on the blue connecter that comes with the "add a circuit".

Step 9: You will notice that the "add a circuit" has two slots as seen in this pic. Go ahead and add the 10amp fuse we set aside earlier into one of the slots and another 10amp fuse to the other slot. It will be a really tight fit for those 10amp fuses to fit in those two slots in the "add a circuit". But believe me, it goes in.

Step 9: Next, get the "add a circuit" that you have with the two 10 amp fuses and put it in slot #3 of your fuse box like so.

Step 10: Lastly, make sure none of your wires have exposed copper. If so, use electrical tape and put everything back together (close fuse box, plastic steering dash) and the harness back in place.

Oh, if your wondering about the loose Yellow/Red wire that we cut at the beginning that was in a bundle of other wires, you can electrical tape the end and disregard it.

Thanks to Atticus for providing me with most of the pics. The rest were from my setup.

Did you notice??? There was no need to ground. And the best part... this

Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfACTOR1
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!

sick fit wrote "yellow/red" wire which means "yellow wire with red stripe"

what he meant was "red/yellow" wire which means "red wire with yellow stripe"

red/yellow and yellow/red are NOT the same thing!!!!!!

PLEASE BE CARE to all the posters
I dont believe anyone has come across this as an issue or a mistake they have made. But thanks for pointing this out if this is an issue with anyone. I dont think theres another red with yellow wire in that harness. I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Thanks again. Thats why there are pics, incase there is any confusion.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
wait.... dose fuse have "+" and "-" ?? because at your step 9, on right hand side has one square thing looks like battery that you took out, so i have to reverse "add a circuit" put it in slot #3 if i want to keep that big square thing on there, or do i need to remove that?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
so do you need two 10 amp fuses for the add a circuit thing to work in the number 3 spot? i tried just one and the lights worked fine but everything else didnt work, like the power steering/speedometer/gauges. i disconnected and put everything back to normal and it worked fine, but i just wanted to know if that was the only reason why it didnt work

Old 07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
yes~ u need 2 fuses on the circuit thing !!

if there is only 1 fuse, it will only work on fog light or gauges.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
What he said. ^^^^

Originally Posted by xonexlifex
so do you need two 10 amp fuses for the add a circuit thing to work in the number 3 spot? i tried just one and the lights worked fine but everything else didnt work, like the power steering/speedometer/gauges. i disconnected and put everything back to normal and it worked fine, but i just wanted to know if that was the only reason why it didnt work

Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
yes, you need to have both in, i had to figure that out, each side of the circut goes through one of the fuses, its kinda weird

Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
yeah i'm with you guys there... i made the mistake of only using 1 fuse
at first and had to go buy some extra fuses when i found my lighting
wasn't working right... almost shit myself, haha

Quick Reply: DIY: Independent Fog w/ Original Switch.