Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Dealer's protective coat and waxing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Dealer's protective coat and waxing

Newbie Q;
When I purchased my new FIT I had the protective coat put on the car. I cannot remember the name at the moment X...something.
I did this mostly for the inside. I have kids and I wanted to be able to keep the seats clean. I got it on my Passat and it worked wonders on my light gray fabric seats.

My question is this...does this eliminate the need to wax? I was amazed the other day when I sprayed a little water on the car to get the dust from the road off, and it beaded up like crazy! I wiped down the car with a towel and it looked like I had just washed it completely.

Anyone have experience with this coating and what I should and shouldnt do to keep the coating warranty as well as keeping the car B-utiful?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer probably just waxed your car. Nothing special.

I hope they didn't sell you the "coating warranty".

It doesn't eliminate the need to wax. Nothing out there will eliminate that need. Just wax on a regular basis (once a month to once every three months, just depends on climate, amount of driving, product used and whether or not you keep it in a garage.)

Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Here is the stuff I bought...and Nooooo, I am not some stupid chiclet...they did not just 'wax my car'.

Welcome to Xzilon

After reading this website and digging out the warranty, it says NOT to Wax the car. I never waxed my Passat and it still looks awesome - 6 years later.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
The reason I asked was because their website says yes you can use hand applied carnauba wax, and the warranty itself says no.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
supposedly you apply the Xzilon once a year with no waxing inbetween. It really doesnt last THAT long. The product itself is a good product and DOES protect your paint, however i would still wax regularly with a non abrasive wax inbetween applications of xzilon.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Doing my due diligence reading now-----I was hoping all the experts here could help me.
Warranty is for 5 years, with no additional applications needed. (Unless the car is damaged, and then they reapply the affected areas.) After 5 years they will reapply the sealant to the whole car inside and out.

I just watched the demo on their website...pretty cool.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Like your Fit btw.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skye Traveler
Doing my due diligence reading now-----I was hoping all the experts here could help me.
Warranty is for 5 years, with no additional applications needed. (Unless the car is damaged, and then they reapply the affected areas.) After 5 years they will reapply the sealant to the whole car inside and out.

I just watched the demo on their website...pretty cool.
We apply xzilon once a year for 3 years at our dealership on Customers cars. I applied it on my S2000 and found it didnt last longer than 2 months. Paint started feeling rough again.... IMO I would wax inbetween. Just make sure its non abrasive.