Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i thought mugen changed the height on the plastic assembly so the shifts are shorter.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know the exact "science" to it, I've just always been told that by autoX and track junkies. It supposedly prematurely puts more wear and tear on your gearbox because the throws weren't meant to be that short from factory, or something of that nature.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
it only makes a differance if you are shifting faster than you can push the clutch in so it has a tendency to ruin your synchros.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Short shifters are considered "bad" by some people because they help you shift faster, thereby making it somewhat easier to *possibly* shift faster than the synchros can keep up with, thereby *possibly* causing the gears to grind when they engage. But if they do, you'll hear it, and you'll either shift a little slower or else look in your wallet, decide you can afford it, and keep on slammin'.

You might also wear out your synchros a few thousand miles sooner. Or, you might think to yourself, gosh, how about I only shift like a demon just every once in a while, and not all the time.

While it's not really a fair comparison, the stuff I did to my STi to make the shifts shorter, crisper, and more precise make me smile every time I shift a gear, and I literally have NEVER slammed or jammed or ground teeth on that car in 95K miles. A thing that works well is a joy all by itself.

Last edited by wdb; 10-21-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Ahh so thats why its "bad" thanks for the explanation, I've been wondering.... I think I will go for a shifter extender before I do a short shift kit though lol. Circuit Hero FTW!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tougerunner86
Ahh so thats why its "bad" thanks for the explanation, I've been wondering.... I think I will go for a shifter extender before I do a short shift kit though lol. Circuit Hero FTW!
run the short shifter kit first or the circuit hero shifter extender will hit the radio.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
You've tried it? I figured it might do that.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
run the short shifter kit first or the circuit hero shifter extender will hit the radio.
It might! I have one and it does add quite a bit to the length of the throws. I tried it, didn't like it, took it out, and recently tried it again when I installed the JDM center console. While I definitely like the added height, I still don't like the added motion, and I took it out yet again.

I'm actually thinking about trying the Mugen shifter AND the H-Fit kit together to shorten the throw, and using the Circuit Hero extender to get the height back up where I want it. Crazy, no?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
so has anyone used the T1R shifter???? wtf!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Mugen replaces the entire inside assembly. Lever is approximately 1" shorter than stock.

T1R is the lever only. In pictures the lever appears to be about as long as the stocker. I have yet to see a picture of the T1R installed.
I have installed the T1R Shift Lever. It sits at the same height as the stock but a little further forward. Throws between gears are lessened by more than inch. It gives a very nice stiff shift instead of the sloppy feel of the stocker.

One last thing, while I was able to install it myself it was rather difficult to separate the cup that holds the ball from the assembly. But i got it done and will never go back.

Here's some pics (sorry, not that great):
Before

After:

Last edited by Giggles; 10-22-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Giggles
I have installed the T1R Shift Lever. It sits at the same height as the stock but a little further forward. Throws between gears are lessened by almost an inch. It gives a very nice stiff shift instead of the sloppy feel of the stocker.

Here's some pics (sorry, not that great):
Before

After:

thanks, so im gonna go get me one

Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
thanks, so im gonna go get me one
You won't regret it. Be sure to check out these threads:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...tion-tech.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...installed.html

Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by wdb
It might! I have one and it does add quite a bit to the length of the throws. I tried it, didn't like it, took it out, and recently tried it again when I installed the JDM center console. While I definitely like the added height, I still don't like the added motion, and I took it out yet again.

I'm actually thinking about trying the Mugen shifter AND the H-Fit kit together to shorten the throw, and using the Circuit Hero extender to get the height back up where I want it. Crazy, no?
I was actually thinking along those lines myself. Get the throws as short as possible then add a crazy tall shift lever to put it up next to the steering wheel. Thats what I did with my subaru anywho. Tell me how it goes if you do

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
im not sure the mugen will work with the h-fit mounts. i thought that has already been tried and it doesnt fit under the center console?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tougerunner86
I was actually thinking along those lines myself. Get the throws as short as possible then add a crazy tall shift lever to put it up next to the steering wheel. Thats what I did with my subaru anywho. Tell me how it goes if you do
I thought this was a thread about short shift kits not tall shifts.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I love it when people cut their shifters to make them a "short Shift". People the reason its a short shift isnt anything to do with the height of the shifter if you look at stock and after market side by side the aftermarket is actually longer on the bottom portion (OMG!!!!) its all based on a simple lever theory, the longer the piece the shorter the throw

Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned
any threads on the skunks short shift kit?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
what do you want to know about it? i have it and it lessens the shift a good amount. its worth putting on IMO

Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kylerwho
what do you want to know about it? i have it and it lessens the shift a good amount. its worth putting on IMO
i'm debating between a t1r shortshift lever & the skunks' kit. i was surprised that the skunks kit only had some bolts in the kit.

i'm just looking for feedback on this item from ppl who have used/installed it

Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
the skunk kit comes with an adapter to lengthen the stock lever, metal bushings, and longer screws. easy install. better and more firm shifts. plus i cut my shifter lever down to make some nice shifting action.

Quick Reply: Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock