Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Two Ways To Prevent A/C Damage from Rocks DIY/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
That is a good find! +1 rep. I'm normally one to insult JC Whitney patrons but I might need to shut up!
Based on past disappointments with purchases, I stopped buying from JCW many years ago, but I would never insult other patrons, just warn them of what to expect. Macbuddy's expanded metal material find is a good one. The only downside might be Whitney's habit of only using USPS for shipping. A sheet of condenser shield material might arrive looking like a giant potato chip, but it's worth the risk to order a sheet.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
issues!

I'm inclined to agree about suspicion towards JC whitney. I really liked that material as far as having stuff on hand for general repairs and "afro-engineering" however in the pictures they have black yet it's not listed as an option for ordering. I also wish they carried purple but I'm asking a lot. I still think that it's cool stuf to have around! I want the black though!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned
I'm inclined to agree about suspicion towards JC whitney. I really liked that material as far as having stuff on hand for general repairs and "afro-engineering" however in the pictures they have black yet it's not listed as an option for ordering. I also wish they carried purple but I'm asking a lot. I still think that it's cool stuf to have around! I want the black though!
Give Whitney a call- maybe it's an online catalog error. Or, buy a can of black paint while you are waiting for whatever color you ordered to arrive. Jus tryna hep y'all.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered a door hinge repair kit the JCW website said would work on my Saab. Turns out it is an English unit repair kit, almost everything on the Saab is metric so it didn't work. The kit itself was nice quality though. JCW took it back no questions asked.

Much like ebay, I try to do a little homework before just ordering - check for brand names, double check the make/model or part number etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Thanks for the lead and the how to!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Rocks don't "take out" compressors. How often do they punch holes in condensers? I don't know or care. Read the threads from people who HAVE had this happen. They don't number in the hundreds, but why do YOU buy liability insurance? How many accidents do you have where you are at fault? I am happy to be guaranteed that a rock CANNOT ruin my a/c condenser.
Yup, i must have mixed it up in my head. I found that thread and it was a bunch of condensors getting punctured.

That first set of pics, if it's painted flat black, is WIN.

I wasn't trying to knock on your diy btw, I'd just never heard of a condensor costing $700 for replacement before. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by polaski; 10-14-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by polaski
Yup, i must have mixed it up in my head. I found that thread and it was a bunch of condensors getting punctured.

That first set of pics, if it's painted flat black, is WIN.

I wasn't trying to knock on your diy btw, I'd just never heard of a condensor costing $700 for replacement before. That's ridiculous.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, and ridiculous is right on $700.00 for getting a condenser replaced. The people who do that just don't know that there are other ways of getting it done.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a photo of my JCWhitney grille:

The aluminum is very soft - easy to bend and cut. It didn't take long to put on - I've removed the bumper before to install my fogs. I just used some wire ties to secure it to the existing grille. To remove the bumper, there are 2 screws and about a dozen of the black clips. A good tug on either side of the bumper should free it from the rest of the vehicle. Note in the lower left hand corner I didn't get the alignment clip put back in properly. I'm headed out to fix it as soon as I post this.

I have enough blue screen left over to do another fit. If you're in the DC area, PM me and you can have it for free.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Great DIY guide. Thanks for posting pics!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned
Thanks for the compliments on the DIY- glad to help. I used the screen method for a few weeks but was not happy with the fine mesh size. When I found the aluminum billet grill on eBay, I replaced the screen with the grill. A few weeks after that, I totaled the car.

I will pick up my new '09 replacement Sport Fit tomorrow, and will use the JC Whitney expanded aluminum grill material on the new car. In fact, I will use the remaining half of macbuddy's grill material described in Post #15.

All of the new Hondas seem to be designed to keep dealers busy replacing a/c condensers. The prevention is so cheap and simple, it's pretty silly not to do it.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I used the JC Whitney aluminum grill material and I also replaced the horn at the same time. I didn't take off the bumper but only took off the lower grill which was quite easy since you only had 4 push locks and some tabs to remove it. It all slides out easily after removing the upper grill and latch cover ( It also provides easy access to replacing the horn.)

Old 11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by AZEqualizer
I used the JC Whitney aluminum grill material and I also replaced the horn at the same time. I didn't take off the bumper but only took off the lower grill which was quite easy since you only had 4 push locks and some tabs to remove it. It all slides out easily after removing the upper grill and latch cover ( It also provides easy access to replacing the horn.)
I'm glad that this was so easy for you. I started this thread addressing only GD3's, but mine was totaled. Could't find a single new '08 for sale within 500 miles, so I bought a GE8. As soon as my after-market air horn arrives, and since I already have the Whitney aluminum grill panel, I will do exactly the same procedure. The ease of removing the lower grill is a nice design change from Honda, and makes these mods very convenient.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Yep .... I have to say I am impressed with Honda's efforts at improving things with each rendition. And sometimes it is the little things that matter. I'm very happy with my GE8 and Consumer Reports came out with a study saying they project the cars reliability to be quite high.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Aluminum sheets for grill. Go to Lowes or Menards or any of those fix it yourself places and buy the sheets (different designs) for a very reasonable cost, cut it yourself.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaime
Aluminum sheets for grill. Go to Lowes or Menards or any of those fix it yourself places and buy the sheets (different designs) for a very reasonable cost, cut it yourself.
they are so freakin ugly... i always see those idiots with the ricer bodykits putting gutterguard on their cars. it doesn't stay shiny either! it always gets discolored! it looks trashy!

if you should insist on having this they do at least make a black plastic mesh gutterguard.. it will serve the function

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 12-03-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Adding a picture, the black plastic mesh would look good and LAST.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
each is to their own...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
If each is to his own then grow up and stop pissin on what other people do!!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jaime
If each is to his own then grow up and stop pissin on what other people do!!
Now now, give respect where respect is due. You are yelling at the "Master of Good Taste"- just look at his avatar.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Master of good taste? He is obnoxious at best. Perhaps a few years as a Ranger serving his country might teach him ,"to each their own," does NOT mean being rude to other people. I would love to have had this dude under my command, especialy in the hand to hand combat training. Respect whom you want. I am moving on. Enough time wasted.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
same old!

I haven't been around for a few weeks. It appears that nothing's changed at fitfreak!

Quick Reply: Two Ways To Prevent A/C Damage from Rocks DIY/Photos