Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tar spots and those annoying orange spots

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Tar spots and those annoying orange spots

What do you guys do to remove tar spots? The small orange ones are very tough to remove. I use wd-40 to remove the tar and my thumbnail to remove the orange spots. It works well...but is a HUGE pain in the ass to do so and it's very time consuming.

Just wondering if applying wax or a 2 step cleaning process is the answer. Has anyone tried this and noticed it removed these spots?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
A good degreaser/strong auto wash should get them right off. I spray the entire car with this product http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...WPROD&ProdID=2 before I even rinse the car. I cover the entire car with extra product on the really dirty spots. Let it soak for a bit then rinse off. That usually gets off most of the tar before I even wash the car. It you need to, brush the area with a boars hair brush then rinse afterwords and wash like normal. I also use that products in the wheel wells/tires/engine bay. Its an awesome product.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 AM
HID Addict
...orange spots...?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM
I have those orange spots too. It's tar? It's all over the rear driverside door, sideskirt, and wheel! I'm going to try the thumbnail technique but I don't want to scratch anything.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the link! I think Ill try and get that product or a stronger degreaser. After the winter, it will need it.

I think those orange spots are just dried up tar spots. I could be wrong. The thumbnail technique works well and has never scratched my finishes. (Im a clean car freak. haha)

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Anything stronger than that might be too strong. You should also try to use a clay bar. That will remove a lot of sediment and dirt off the clear coat that can't be removed with a regular car wash. Try that product and look at the articles on Autopia - Autopia Home about claying your car. Fingernail will work but there's better ways. And if you haven't clayed your car yet its about time you do. Should be done at least once a year.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Anything stronger than that might be too strong. You should also try to use a clay bar. That will remove a lot of sediment and dirt off the clear coat that can't be removed with a regular car wash. Try that product and look at the articles on Autopia - Autopia Home about claying your car. Fingernail will work but there's better ways. And if you haven't clayed your car yet its about time you do. Should be done at least once a year.

Thanks again for your help! Excellent advice. I will try and get some of that stuff you mentioned.

+1 rep.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 11-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
I had a big glob of tar inside one of my rims. I gently scraped off the big mass of tar with a plastic spatula then used Turtle Wax bug and tar remover with a microfiber cloth to get the rest off. The chemical in the tar remover dissolved the tar stain quickly and easily. Small chunks of the tar came off where the remover was able to get under the glob. I suppose a bit of soaking might have gotten the glob off with less rubbing.

If it were on my paint, I wouldn't use the spatula. I'd just keep gently rubbing the spot with a really good MF cloth and the bug/tar remover. You'll have to rotate the cloth a lot - the grit in the tar will scratch the paint as it comes off. I'd write off any cloth used for this - it should never touch your paint again.

Orange spots don't sound like tar but the bug/tar remover might get them off if you don't want to break out the claybar.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Stoners tarminator is also an awesome product and can be found at walmart. Tarminator quickly and easily removes tar, sap, bugs, grease and asphalt from auto exteriors.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Looks like a visit to wally world is in the cards tomorrow!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
i second the turtle wax brand of bug and tar remover. works perfectly for me. spray on, let sit for a few seconds, then wipe away. i do this BEFORE i wash my car. that way the B&T reemover comes off my paint. had a bad experience with it and a Volkswagen( pretty sure it was the VW's fault...lol)

Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
The orange spots is typically noticeable problem with white paint or light color paints. It is actually the metallic paint flakes that have rusted away from being exposed to the elements. Doesn't actually cause any paint problems.

I've owned 5 white vehicles now and they all had some of this occur.

The worst I seen it was on a ford ranger---super strong paint though.
Best way to get rid of it is a good cream non abrasive cleaner then wax.

Last edited by jtsimaras; 11-13-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I know ive suggested many products already but after you get rid of the heavy stuff you can use a strong car wash to keep it off. I highly recommend this car wash from chemical guys BUG & TAR HEAVY DUTY SHAMPOO -STRONG WASH

Half of my detailing arsenal has been from chemical guys and this product works well on cars with lots of bugs and tar on it. Of course this should be used after the degreaser/tar remover and will keep the rest off if used once a week or so.