Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My new switchblade key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
I cannot seem to find gies selling these on ebay. i really want to do this now that i have this damn civic key on here too...

wait i just found it. sweet! will have to order soon.
here it is for people that want it: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/gies.store?_rdc=1

Last edited by Syco54645; 03-20-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by fitster
he told me to remove the blade from the factory key and ues it on the flip key
anyone know if this is possible??
Definitely not easy - I agree with caliban . . . The flip key has a blade that's 90 degrees offset from the stock one, so you'd need to physically cut the blade off the old key, and then get it welded onto the new setup.

Totally not worth it, just order a new blank, and avoid dealer incompetence in getting it cut.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Just got my Key fob today...

I've tried few places but they don't do those laser cuts...

Anyone knows a reputable shop doing laser cuts in GVA (burnaby) besides the dealership?

How much is it gonna cost?

THanks

Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joquio

Anyone knows a reputable shop doing laser cuts in GVA (burnaby) besides the dealership?

THanks
I got mine cut at a locksmith shop. They had a machine that cut it that kind of reminded me of a router table. It didn't look too difficult to do. The key blank sits horizontally on the table with the flat side up. He then ran a pin over my key and a cutter made the cut on the blank.
Then he flipped it over and did the other side.

Cost me $20. Took 5 min.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Guys good info.

-Getting the key: Easy
-Getting the key cut: Easy
-Getting the key Programed: Mission Impossible.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
There should be no programming involved. At least there wasn't with my key

Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

THanks

when u find a place let me know cause ive been looking too

Old 03-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by fitster
when u find a place let me know cause ive been looking too

One of the place I went to recommended me WestCoast Mobile Locksmith. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 AM
so I called up West Coast Mobile Locksmith and they wanted $107 for just cutting. F*cking BS.
So my friend hooked me up and have someone cut it for free for me but i guess he messed it up too? The key fit and goes into the hole but it wouldn't turn.....

I guess I'm stucked like you fister....

Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 AM
so what's the reason why a lot of us are having problem with getting it cut correctly?
I was told that the blank key was too thick?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with the blank. Who ever is messing up the cut doesn't know what they're doing or their cutting machine is faulty. I took the key my dealer messed up to the locksmith and he inspected it and said the key was cut improperly, too much on one side.

My locksmith explained the following to me. The manufacturer fires a LASER at sheets of metal and in seconds our keys are done. The dealer and any locksmith that specializes in LASER or specialty cut keys uses a fancy milling machine to perform the inverted cuts. This machine has a cutting bit that tries to mimick the the precise cut of a LASER. The bit has to cut at a specific depth and shape.

My locksmith put my key code into his machine and made several passes on each side until the key's measurements were as close as possible to my original key. After each pass, he checked with a micrometer.

If you wanna save time and money, the key code is on the TAG that came with the car's keys when it was bought. This code is what the dealer looks up when they enter your VIN into their computer.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
so what's the reason why a lot of us are having problem with getting it cut correctly?
I was told that the blank key was too thick?
That's what they'll tell you to cover their own ass. In fact, that's exactly what the parts monkey at the dealer told me . . . claiming the problem was in some infinitesimal difference in blade thickness, and flatly refusing to acknowledge a difference in the cuts that you can plainly see with the naked eye.

The reason it's tough to get a quality cut is that the people operating the machines don't understand what they're doing. Their training can be summed up in 3 steps: "insert key", "insert blank", and "push button".

When you're copying off of a worn, scratched, or partially burnished key, the machine won't always be able to find the proper cut without help.

Last edited by Daemione; 03-31-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
so i have another one commming and not sure if i want to go back to the dealer to do the cutting

Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
If you can't find a locksmith in your area, ask the dealer to cut one of their cheap blanks first. Make sure they can cut a key that will actually turn the ignition before letting them have another go at your blank. My dealer didn't charge me for the blank, but yours might. The parts manager said the blanks cost them .50 cents so he didn't want to charge me, especially since they messed up my first blank. Here's a pic of the blank they cut for me. I keep it handy just in case i lock my real keys in the car.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by caliban10010
If you can't find a locksmith in your area, ask the dealer to cut one of their cheap blanks first. Make sure they can cut a key that will actually turn the ignition before letting them have another go at your blank. My dealer didn't charge me for the blank, but yours might. The parts manager said the blanks cost them .50 cents so he didn't want to charge me, especially since they messed up my first blank. Here's a pic of the blank they cut for me. I keep it handy just in case i lock my real keys in the car.

great idea for those who are having trouble.
+rep sir

Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
bought the same thing, transferred the chip, and somehow made my dealer cut the key for free (they kept threatening that the key won't work w/out programming and programming is $80!!!) and it works like a charm

so total cost for me = $20 for flip key

Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by vile10
bought the same thing, transferred the chip, and somehow made my dealer cut the key for free (they kept threatening that the key won't work w/out programming and programming is $80!!!) and it works like a charm

so total cost for me = $20 for flip key
I had the exact same experience. I didn't get mine cut yet but when I was there I asked about it. He was confused because he said it won't work with out the chip and it needs to be programmed. I said that is taken care of already. I get the deer in the headlights look.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Well I took my key to the dealer and they fudged it up. My dealer said that the blade is really hard metal. They are reimbursing me and I will order another. I could hear the machine as they cut it and it went fine for a while and then the machine started sounding like it was working really hard. The machine used a bit to cut the key. The bit broke partial way through the cut. My key blade looks like the machine tried to take a chunk out of it. Also the depth of cut looked completely different. If you look at it on its side (the thin side) the depth was farther on one side that the other. I will take it to a locksmith and hopefully they won't charge an outrageous cost.

I also asked about why its not laser cut and the guy told me that there is a laser in the machine the reads the first key and thats how the bit cuts the new blade. I don't really know so I just agreed. Good luck to the rest of the guys trying to get them cut. They would have charged me $25 for the cut also.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Got my blanks cut today! BTW Willis Klein is a great place to get keys cut in Louisiville, KY. My only issue is that when I tighten the two screws on the bottom of the flip key base it makes the panic mode go off and it won't deactivate until I loosen the bottom 2 screws. Anyone else faced this issue and if so any suggestion, other than loosening the screws because I tried it but the plastic base doesn't look right.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
While getting the key cut at a dealership, is it fine to take the whole key in with the plastic shell? Or do I need to remove the shell and just bring in the metal blade part?

Quick Reply: My new switchblade key fob