Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My new switchblade key fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
My new switchblade key fob

I couldn't find any posts of people who had used this key fob yet, so I figured I'd take some pictures of mine . . .

Got it off eBay, it's listed as a "HONDA ODYSSEY LX PILOT RIDGELINE FLIP REMOTE KEY SHELL" - for sale by eBay member gies.store. There were a few different versions I found, this had the same 3 button layout as my '07 Sport. Cost me $21.94 shipped, and took a little under 2 weeks for it to arrive from China.

Anyway, on to the pictures:

As you can see, the button layout matches exactly. I temporarily swapped in the buttons from the original fob into the new one, and even the little hole for the LED lines right up.

Opening up the new one, you can see the slot for the immobilizer chip - it looks to be exactly the right size as well, although I haven't tried it yet.

It even comes with a little chrome 'H' sticker for the back side:

I'm gonna head to my local Honda dealer on Monday morning to get the key cut, and then I'll swap over the immobilizer & buttons.

So for under $25 (plus key cutting), I should have an authentic switchblade key that looks like it came with the car - and as an added bonus, no messing around with reprogramming anything either . . .

Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Cool mod. Here's one of an Acura TL fob.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eted-pics.html

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Just got back from getting the blade cut. The verdict: Honda of Westport, CT can suck it.

Blade was cut improperly, and they're blaming the aftermarket key blank. I was able to get the $37.10 credited back for the actual cutting, but it looks like I'm out $21.94 for the blank. :sigh:

Hard to get a good picture without either glare or blurring, but towards the bottom of the cut you can see where the original flares out, and the new one doesn't. :sigh:

I got the name & number for the Manager, I don't know if it's worth the time & effort to bitch about it more & get my $22 key blank reimbursed.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
great idea, but sucks about what happened I'd bitch about it, 22 bucks is almost 2 tanks of gas!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Quick update: ordered a new flip key blank from the same company. When it gets here I'll take it to a different Honda dealer (Greenwich) to get it cut. When that one works fine, I'll go back to Westport with plenty of ammunition to hopefully get reimbursed for the one they screwed up.

And if the new one doesn't work, well, I'll probably give up and move on. :laugh:

Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Please let me know if this works! Also, what is the quality of the plastic on this? This could be a great way to get a switchblade key for less than $150. It is too bad that they messed up cutting it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Probably be another week before the new blank arrives - tracking # says it left China on 1/8.

I don't own an OEM Honda switchblade to compare it directly to, but plastic quality feels on par with ones I've held in the past. The blade swings out & locks in place with a satisfying "thwick". And even with it hollow, I can squeeze it as hard as I can & there's no flex. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Honda gets theirs from the same factory.

And just as an FYI, eBay notified me that the listing that I ordered the 2nd fob from was removed - I don't know why, though. Hopefully not an issue with the member/company, I've been happy with them (him?) both times I ordered. But it looks like there are plenty of options on ebay now for a comparable product.

edit Just checked eBay - says that gies.store is no longer a registered user . . . so who knows.

Last edited by Daemione; 01-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Well I found a comparable one I think. I know that some locksmiths can cut the key for you as well. You may want to try that rather than a stealership.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
New key fob came in yesterday. I brought it to Greenwich Honda this morning, and they cut it no problems - and for free.

As a little "thank you", I bought a Fit keychain from them, and they'll be getting more of my business - my '97 Prelude is in need of some work.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Damn wish I could get it cut for free.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
How do you like your new key? Is it a little awkward with the blade rotated 90 degrees from the head?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Ya, that is my DIY.

BTW I am still using mine to this day with no issue. A very easy and fun mod.

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Cool mod. Here's one of an Acura TL fob.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eted-pics.html

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Im so ready to do this! Thanks for the DIY, first thing tomorrow Im on it

Last edited by FuLLy FiTTeD; 01-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted people to know that you might have trouble getting any dealership to cut this key, since it's not Honda OEM. I have asked all of my local dealerships around SE Michigan and none were willing to attempt the cut, since they were worried the part could damage their cutter. I guess I am out the $20 dollars for this blank. Anyone have suggestions, or dealer recommendations? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
anyone else try this to confirm?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SleepyNyte
Just wanted people to know that you might have trouble getting any dealership to cut this key, since it's not Honda OEM. I have asked all of my local dealerships around SE Michigan and none were willing to attempt the cut, since they were worried the part could damage their cutter. I guess I am out the $20 dollars for this blank. Anyone have suggestions, or dealer recommendations? Thanks.
Go to a professional locksmith shop. They will cut it. Ruining the cutter is a crock of BS.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by SleepyNyte
Shit I just ordered one and I'm in SE Michigan lol

What dealerships did you try?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
go to an acura dealership. they have to be laser cut. also, bring your car with you. you have to prove that you own the car before they cut the key. i have the flip key and i love it. the H emblem isnt that high quality but the key itself is nice.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
you have to prove that you own the car before they cut the key.
Not necessarily true - neither dealer I went to cared about proof of ownership, since it was just a copy of the blade. If they're setting you up with an immobilizer & everything, then yeah, they'll definitely need it.

FWIW, I've been reading more about the subject, and it seems that if you supply your VIN number, a dealer can get the specs for your key downloaded straight from Honda, and the chances of it working will be 100%. The machines are supposedly near-perfect even when copying an existing blade, but as I found out in my case, they don't always work. Supplying a VIN & going this route may or may not require proof of ownership, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Shora
Go to a professional locksmith shop. They will cut it. Ruining the cutter is a crock of BS.
Yeah, I agree. If your local dealers are throwing around that kind of ass-hattery, they don't deserve any business.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea, they didnt even use my old key for the copy. they just got my vin, called a phone number, got a serial number and went in the back and made it for me. but they said that for security reasons i had to have the registration in my name.

Quick Reply: My new switchblade key fob