Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rebuilding after rear end collision -- and saving money

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Rebuilding after rear end collision -- and saving money

Hi all.

my lovely lady slammed into the back of me one night, and i thought i'd post some pics of the progress. she has a 2008 MR sport, and it did considerable damage to the car. here's a condensed list of what was broken/unrepairable:

-hood
-front bumper
-driver's fender
-driver's headlight
-bulkhead (top of core support
-radiator and condenser
-radiator fan
-hoodlatch panel
-air bag deployed
-passenger mirror (don't ask me how--long story/both cars spun around)
-front bumper support
-front bumper absorber
-hood latch/bulkhead support
-front bumper support mount crushed

i was able to get her car (almost completely) repaired for around $1500 including body shop fees. it would have nearly totalled my car (I have a 2002 Cadillac DHS) if we would have reported it to insurance.

so, if you need help finding body panels for your car if you're in the Raleigh, NC area. i used capitol bumper supply, and was able to get the hood and fender for under $200! (those parts are CAPA certified and fit like OEM). the bulkhead and hood latch support are OEM. i used to do some body work (had a few MKIV Supras [one widebody] and a few turbo lexus sc's) so i'm familiar with aftermarket OEM style body panels.

so, all hope isn't lost for those who get in light fender benders. if you need any guidance, feel free to respond or shoot me a PM.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Help please

Hi saw your post but couldn't see the pictures, I know you posted this a while back but I was recently in an accident where j rear-ended a truck and the hitch went through my front end. I know my radiator is messed up for sure but I don't know what all Is around the radiator and the front end of it. And also the hood won't close now, the latch that catches it won't move, the one that you use inside the car to pop it is the part messed up. Could you help at all?

Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 PM
Hello - did you ever get a reply, my daughter just did this to her '07 Sport.