Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Front corner damage :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Unhappy Front corner damage :(

My three year old Jazz Sport became a casualty of the ice yesterday. I was turning into my road (quite slowly because I knew there was ice around) and I under steered into a VW Golf. It was a corner to corner impact and probably no more than 10mph.

The golf suffered very little apparent damage. A small piece of trim on the bumper cover has popped out and the bumper is a few mill proud of the wheel arch. Hopefully that will be an easy fix for them.

Anyway my Jazz didn't fare so well. There's a large dent in the front bumper and the headlight assembly appears to have moved so that the gap between the it and the bonnet is five or six millimetres in places.

I've been quoted £300 inc vat for the bumper and probably a couple of hours labour for fitting. I was going to fit it myself but I'm wondering how bad the headlamp assembly situation might be. Is it going to be a minor matter to straighten it or are we talking using torches to soften the metal then some kind of jig to get it back in position?

I'm not looking for a perfect repair but obviously the headlamp needs some adjustment.

I'm hoping that the total bill will be little more than £500 in which case I don't see any need to involve the insurance company (I have a £350 excess anyway). I don't want the hassle and I have a twenty year+ record of never having to claim. OTOH if we're talking major reconstructive surgery then I may have little choice