Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rail Rust???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Rail Rust???

My Taffy White is hurting. When I bought the car I paid way too much for this so called permanent shine/protector. I am almost embarrassed to say I fell for that shit.

ANyhow this Spring notice a lot of small brown spots. They will not come off with the cleaner provided from the dealer with that sealant. I said well there is a wty - what an effin joke. They said it is rail rust from shipping and it is not covered. I went back and asked why they put their crap on the car if this was present(You could not see it then) or if it was not present then did their product not remove these metal bits as they applied it. Waiting for an answer but doubt if they will do anything.

I am thinking of clay bar then what? Just a coat of good wax?

Thanks

bill

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
When I was washing my taffy white for the very first time, I saw brown/orange spots definitely looked like rust spots (first I thought I ran over some wet paint or something). I was able to remove most them out by rubbing lightly on soapy surface.
I am going to wash her for the second time Tomorrow since weather in GTA will be above 20 celcious.

Let's see if there more brown spots...

Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
If anybody here can guide you it would be 13qbmuder it may buff out, but talk to 13qbmuder1st.
Good Luck

Sorry qbmuderer13 kinda murdered your name

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
First of all, do not let the dealership touch your car. They know as much about detailing as a chimpanzee.

They are correct in diagnosing the spots which are indeed rail dust, not rail rust. You will need to use a clay bar to remove this. Wash the car, clay bar, wash again, then apply a durable coat of sealant. Since you are in Canada I recommend something very durable like Zaino, followed by some carnauba wax. Here is an article that will guide you through the step by step process in claying your car, adding protection, and winterizing.

Car Wash Guide, Car Wash how to - easy steps to shampoo and dry your vehicle using paint-safe mitts and towels, plus sponges, the Grit Guard and

Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar

Car Wax & Paint Sealant Application Techniques, how to apply wax & paint sealant by hand or polisher, how to apply wax, how to wax a car

Winterizing Your Car's Exterior

I know I link these articles alot, but I do not have any sort of connection with autogeek in case anyone was wondering. I just order from them most of the time since they are in Florida, I get my stuff next day, and they do have great articles.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you. That is just what I was looking for. That will take me all week. At my age I find they are building the cars much lower to the ground and I do not get up and down like I did 50 years ago.