Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

07 Fit Sport Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 AM
07 Fit Sport Transmission Issues

I have a completely stock 2007 Fit Sport AT; 97,000 miles. Fluids have been changed and checked by dealer at regular intervals.

At approximately 80k, the CEL came on and the (D) was blinking. The car wouldn't upshift past 3rd or 4th gear. At 60mph, I was at 3,500 rpm. "S" mode was not working at all. I brought it to a dealer who diagnosed it as a failed 3rd clutch pressure switch. Dealer ordered the part and let me take the car home for the night. The car shifted perfectly without the part replacement, I opted not to have the part replaced and it drove flawlessly until this weekend.

At 97k, the car would stumble into 2nd gear at every traffic light(rough shift, almost like a bad MT driver....it chirped the tires and was accompanied by a nice "kuchunk" sound) and then would not advance past 3rd gear...

This time no CEL and no (D) blinking. Brought it to dealer and computer was not throwing any codes. When dealer drove it, it shifted perfectly. Dealer was honest and sent me packing without a diagnostic charge since they could not replicate the problem.

Again, fluids are still red, filled correctly and only Honda ATF-Z1 used. This car has been pretty much flawless until this point.

Anyone come across anything similar?

-FS

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
I have no experience with the Fit automatic but have had a similar problem with another vehicle and it was related to the fluid and filter needing to be changed. It sounds like your torque converter was staying locked when it chirped the tires going into 2nd. There are a couple of others that have had incidents of their cars not shifting when in the automatic shifting modes but your situation is a bit different.... I just checked and found that your transmission had no filter on the automatic trans. I also could find no part referred to as a 3rd clutch pressure switch but there are 4 solenoids shown and it must be one of them they are referring too..... Retails at $75.37 each

Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
sometimes CEL means your oxygen sensor might be going out...

Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by appleica
Hmmm. Yeah, when the CEL came on the computer code was not that of an oxy sensor, rather the 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
If the dealer diagnosed it as the 3rd clutch pressure switch, you're really not making any sense by not doing the repair just because the problem is intermittent. how much do they wanna charge you?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
If the dealer diagnosed it as the 3rd clutch pressure switch, you're really not making any sense by not doing the repair just because the problem is intermittent. how much do they wanna charge you?
They were asking about $300 parts and labor.

Honestly, I wasn't completely confident in the diagnosis. I had them furnish the diagnostic paperwork so that I could see the "decision tree" the HDS and tech went through. They determined the cause was a switch failure and needed to be replaced. I should note that HDS did provide a scenario in the decision tree that deemed the problem as "intermittent" rather than a "failure", however the tech did not ultimately settle on that diagnosis. Without replacement of the part, the car functioned well which made me believe that the component failure diagnosis might have been premature.

If the computer again puts up an error code that happens to be the same code, hindsight would be 20/20 and I should have had it fixed as you stated. However, since it was driving perfectly after the first visit, I elected to wait it out rather than fix what may not be broken.

At this point, it appears to be driving well. My hope is that if it does act up again, it puts out a code.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
It appears the CEL and flashing (D) struck again this evening. I'll post when I get a diagnosis.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
damn...100k in 3 years.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Ugh this thread makes me worried. I've heard honda's a/t's are weak. Last week I posted about my a/t getting stuck in 3rd and revving in the high 3,000's. It only happened once and I haven't had problems since. What sucks is I only have ~11,000k on my fit. That makes me wonder if it's not the transmission itself and something like a switch or solenoid problem. Do you remember if it happened when the temperature changed? It was warmer weather when I first noticed something.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
The latest problem did occur as the weather got significantly warmer. My hunch is that it is a switch.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by appleica
i read somewhere that the oxygen sensor should be replaced every 5 years or so

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Today the dealer diagnosed as P0847, 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch short/stuck to ON. Needs a new switch.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fieldstone
Today the dealer diagnosed as P0847, 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch short/stuck to ON. Needs a new switch.
Any update? Did the new switch cure the problem?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Yup. Sorry, I thought I posted something...guess not.
Switch fixed the issue thus far....103k on the clock. Rides great.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Yesterday I jump into my car (2007 fit 63K miles)Was driving fine when I can to a stop. That’s when I thought someone rear ended me. The car jump forward, I look back no one was behind me.
After that the car would shift roughly between 2nd and 3rd I decided not to drive it anymore.
When I check the Transmission fluid it was right at the min mark. I picked up some Honda ATF Z1 from the dealer and added a little bit and check it again and it was right in the middle. I figured I would do a drain and refill this weekend.
The Car now drives fine I think it shifts smother then before, but a mile from home the check engine light came on and the drive light “D” was flashing. I pulled out my OBD II reader and the code was P0756 - 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance - No First or Second Gear. I know I had first and second gear.
I guessing the fluid is old and replacing it should fix the problem.
My question is should I change my transmission fluid and just reset the code?

or is there a bigger problem

Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
i think you are suppose to change you transmission fluid at 60,000 miles
check your owners manual to be sure though

Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
An easy way to change your auto tranny yourself. Disconnect the tranny oil cooler line going from the tranny to the radiator. The one closer to the middle. Stick it in a 1 quart bottle. While shining a strong light on the bottle, have a second person start the car. Just as the fluid reaches the top of the bottle, turn the car off. Refill tranny with a new quart. Accomplish this 6 times and you will have replaced 97% of the fluid.

To refill the tranny, there is a large bolt behind the engine on top of the tranny, just off center to the right. Its down low around the base of the block. I forget the size but am thinking about 19mm. Mine had a yellow mark on it, yours may not. A long snout funnel goes a long way here for the refill.

I did mine at 50K with Amsoil Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid. I figured why wait? Yes, it is rated for Honda's and is highly rated in these forums. Not knocking Honda's fluid, use what you like.

UPDATE - 70K miles (37K since fluid change) I will say that my tranny has preformed flawlessly. Shifts like butter, fluid still very light in color. And I did swap to Amsoil when I did my fluid change at 30K.

Last edited by rocksnap; 04-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I just drained and filled it took 3 qts of Honda ATF Z1. But it seem to solve all the problems.
The check engine light went off without a reset and the car is shifting smoothly.
The fluid was black so I’ll think I’ll drain and fill again.
I read somewhere that if you drain and fill 3 times at 100mile intervals that that will get most of old fluid.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Mine just did the bucking/hard shifting thing this weekend. No check engine light or flashing D's for me. Car wouldnt shift up to 5th on the highway and only shifted rough between 1 and 2. Problem went away after letting the car sit for a day. I will be changing the fluid tonight.

Edit: Changed the fluid and drove the car around for an hour or so last night without any issues. I will keep this post updated if anything changes.

Last edited by vansprinkle; 07-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by vansprinkle
Mine just did the bucking/hard shifting thing this weekend. No check engine light or flashing D's for me. Car wouldnt shift up to 5th on the highway and only shifted rough between 1 and 2. Problem went away after letting the car sit for a day. I will be changing the fluid tonight.

Edit: Changed the fluid and drove the car around for an hour or so last night without any issues. I will keep this post updated if anything changes.
what year model is your Fit and how many miles do you have on it? i am just curious because the owner's manual says to change the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles and then every 30,000 miles after that.
i was thinking of changing the fluid earlier after reading this thread.

Quick Reply: 07 Fit Sport Transmission Issues