Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Pressure Testing (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
^ ditto...

i was surprised by the rear bumper findings as well...

i'm still hoping to get a magnehelic gauge that can read 20-30" of water so i can distinctively test the drop in pressure with mods... we'll see

Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, I might have some access to some "scrap" aircraft grade sheets of aluminum. All I would have to do is really measure out the entire area beneath the rear and start cutting. I need to get a jigsaw soon!

My next question would be about that wonderful little triangle jacking brace in the rear of the GD3. It looks quite stout and heavy, have any thoughts on it's removal?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
you could... i like having a central jacking point for the rear...

if it's welded on (not sure) you'd have to chisel it off... i don't think you're going to find much weight savings there however...

if you're going to do a diffuser, you can just cut an opening for the tow/jack point to come through... it won't affect the dynamics that much...

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice to see another fan of the Autospeed site, and their interesting work eliminating "negative boost." Inspired by their results, I've acquired some magnahelic gauges as well.
Interested in the entire intake tract, I measured negative pressure at the throttle body with the stock intake, and with a flared piece of 2.5" stainless tube (basically a velocity stack). Not surprisingly, the intake showed far more negative pressure (restriction) than the velocity stack did. What was surprising was that if I removed the bottom half of the stock intake, I also removed most of the restriction. So, my plan at present is to duct from the existing duct in the lower driver's side corner and replace the lower half of the airbox. If I ever get to it, I'll post results.
Thanks for your interesting posts! For folks in the know, data actually matters.
Bman

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM
So, while I am looking for the data and associated math that I took on my car here is a post from a private tuning forum:

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
Logged through an AEM 3.5 bar map sensor, at 6000rpm and around 32psi of boost I am seeing around a 0.37-0.59psi pressure drop (varies due to slight voltage fluctuations). Pressure drop should be pretty linear with rpm as long as boost is kept constant and IAT doesnt increase too much, so you can imagine around 0.55-0.85psi of total pressure drop for that same 32psi at 8500-9000rpm. My air filter is a 9" length by 6" diameter unit on a custom 4" CAI intake that I made. 0.85psi would be a decent amount considering that I'm starting at only 13.7psia here in the mountains, but ultimately it is a PR difference of around .23 for my scenario.

http://www.ncdsm.com/16g-95gsx/Intak...e%20Coated.JPG
http://www.ncdsm.com/16g-95gsx/Engin...ft%20Angle.JPG

I would tend to say that this would be a pretty good representation of what some of the better CAI systems out there as it has about the equivalent bends, 4" diameter, and a pretty new K&N filter. If it were possible to entirely reduce that pressure drop down to 0, then I could see a decent power increase as this PR difference is about the equivalent of running 2-3psi more boost assuming IAT was kept constant. In reality it is impossible to reduce pressure drop to 0, and I would just consider this a part of the downsides that come with running an intake pipe at all. Realizing that I am located 2000ft asl, giving me an automatic 1psi ambient pressure loss, I lose more efficiency just to the fact of me being in the mountains than I do as a total dynamic loss through the intake pipe. When coupled together though you could easily see where being at sea level with no restriction at all into the compressor would net some pretty solid gains.
Here's another explaining the same thing:
I did a little pressure drop experiment. I run a very large new K&N cone filter (9.5" long & 6.6" dia) on a 2g turbo eclipse. This air filter has a flat area of about 168 sq inches, enough flow for 970 cfm or 650 h.p. I basically run a big K&N airfilter, HKS VPC, NO MAF, and a big 4" aluminum pipe tapering into a RRE 2.25" turbo inlet pipe. I used a Magnehelic Pressure Differential Gauge (0-100 inches of water) to measure the air filter pressure drop, ultra accurate. Measured at the little nipple right on the rubber MAF inlet hose. I figure my pressure drop should be next to nothing. My car was run on 20 psi and maybe kicking out 360 crank h.p., according to DSMLINK.

I was expecting maybe 4-6" of water pressure drop thru the huge K&N airfilter which is 1 week old. Boy was I in for a surprise. Light cruise there is no pressure drop, under WOT there is minimal until 4000 rpm then it hits 10" pressure drop. Max pressure drop is at 5000-7000 rpm at 24" of water on 20 psi boost pressure on a 45*F night. For you guys that don't know, 29" of water equals 1 psi.

This goes against every thing I've read, that the air filter has little to no pressure drop. I say bullshit. I'm thinking of running a 14" long cone filter instead. Basically I have .82 psi of pressure drop just thru the airfilter. After the pressure ratio rise in the turbo compressor this would be almost 2 psi lost after the turbo. You cannot go too big on an airfilter.
So basically smooth transitions and as few bends as possible. If you have to bend, bigger radius is better.

If you have a 2" throttle body and 2" MAF/MAS you want 2" piping. Bigger is not always better, except for the air filters you stick on the end of the 2" pipe that should be as large as is feasible to increase surface area, and decrease intake vacuum but maintain steady, high velocity laminar flow through the pipe.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
For more test data on flow, pressure etc. Check this out:

SDS EM-4: Aircraft

Here is a guy who took a turbocharged subaru power plant and put it in an aircraft, and has more data in his few pages than this entire forum.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by apexanimal
^ ditto...

i was surprised by the rear bumper findings as well...

i'm still hoping to get a magnehelic gauge that can read 20-30" of water so i can distinctively test the drop in pressure with mods... we'll see

If you can find one, get a mercury filled gauge, on the face of it, it will look like lower resolution, but I find the added inertia from the mercury makes it read out more accurately. The blue-water ones seem to fluctuate too much, at least IMHO.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
If you can find one, get a mercury filled gauge, on the face of it, it will look like lower resolution, but I find the added inertia from the mercury makes it read out more accurately. The blue-water ones seem to fluctuate too much, at least IMHO.

So what you are trying to say there still might be a chance that a rear diffuser would net some aero gains? I'm just gathering materials first before I even start cutting everything to mock up anything in metal.

Currently, I'm getting some coroplast from the left over campaign signs from the election to mock up some lower triangular pieces for the rear of the Fit.

People look at me weird when i pick up the signs laughing hysterically...hehe

Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
So what you are trying to say there still might be a chance that a rear diffuser would net some aero gains? I'm just gathering materials first before I even start cutting everything to mock up anything in metal.

Currently, I'm getting some coroplast from the left over campaign signs from the election to mock up some lower triangular pieces for the rear of the Fit.

People look at me weird when i pick up the signs laughing hysterically...hehe

Well there's theory and there's practice, and only one really matters in the end.

It might be worth while for the population that would use it as a function item! And if it looks good to boot, you've got that going for you.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bman98SL2
Nice to see another fan of the Autospeed site, and their interesting work eliminating "negative boost." Inspired by their results, I've acquired some magnahelic gauges as well.
Interested in the entire intake tract, I measured negative pressure at the throttle body with the stock intake, and with a flared piece of 2.5" stainless tube (basically a velocity stack). Not surprisingly, the intake showed far more negative pressure (restriction) than the velocity stack did. What was surprising was that if I removed the bottom half of the stock intake, I also removed most of the restriction. So, my plan at present is to duct from the existing duct in the lower driver's side corner and replace the lower half of the airbox. If I ever get to it, I'll post results.
Thanks for your interesting posts! For folks in the know, data actually matters.
Bman
good info...

i only got a sensitive gauge to test aerodynamics, and never got around to getting a wider range to test the intake system... just from seat of the pants the 2.5" 90* pipe i did from the airbox to tb made a huge difference... good to know there's more to be done!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by apexanimal
good info...

i only got a sensitive gauge to test aerodynamics, and never got around to getting a wider range to test the intake system... just from seat of the pants the 2.5" 90* pipe i did from the airbox to tb made a huge difference... good to know there's more to be done!
Do you happen to have any pics of this? I'd like to try this myself, if you could give my a little DIY, I'll try to mock one up myself.

Any updates for the front section of the bumper where the best place to route some tubing to "guide" the air into the airbox? Sorta like a ram air effect thing.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
the only place i didn't test from is the fog light...

but so far from what i've seen, the upper grille area is going to be the best place so far... the most pressure is seen there...

no pics... i usually have my hands full trying to drive and look at the gauge at the same time and not hitting anything in the process...

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I dug up the readings I took on my then-new Fit in late 2008:
Intake in front of the throttle plate:
-0.10” during hill descent
-0.35 – 0.55” during 65-70 mph cruise
-8.0” during WOT in 3rd at 6k rpm
-8.5” during WOT in 2nd at rev limiter (going up a hill)
-3.5” with the air filter removed and lid propped open (so lid and elbow) (also at WOT, under load)
Restriction at maximum air consumption (WOT and redline) is -3.5” with a 2.25” flared “velocity stack” attached directly to the throttle body

This suggests to me that the greatest gains are to be had before the air filter on the stock intake system. If the restriction of the airbox lid / elbow is the same as a flared "velocity stack," then I don't see much to be gained here. It would be interesting to see what numbers folks saw at the throttle body at WOT / redline with an aftermarket intake.

Bman

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
^ good info...

it would be interesting to see what gains/losses could be seen post tb between the stock tb, and a larger aftermarket tb...

those numbers also still make me think that if we pick up air in a higher pressure area it'll further help efficiency...

Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Come spring, I'll try to cobble together my intake idea that plumbs the upper part of the stock intake to a custom lower routed to the front of the car. I'll post whatever I find out.

Bman

Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
^ good deal - thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the great info and the idea.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Ancient I know... but,Whoa... How did I miss this thread?!

I actually just completed a "fog light delete"... And have an AEM CAI that runs down to the inside of the drivers fender...

I kept the plastic outer housings on as they looked as if they would duct in air... Wonder where I could borrow a gauge...

Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
If you were closer to me I'd let you borrow mine...

This is ideal, but the molding is beyond what am capable of/hav patience for:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post995871

This is what I have created so far: