Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Should I bother trying to clean this engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
WOW!!! I can't believe it looks so different..... It actually looks good, you wanna clean up under my hood?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
My 2008 Honda Fit Sport with 27000 miles looks almost exactly like the original posters picture. Rust on the manifold, rust on most of the hose clamps, rust on metal hose, and rust on many other iron parts - including nuts and even the tops of the struts. I was amazed as I'd never seen an engine so dirty and parts so rusty, but I needed a car and got a good price. It came from Illinois and I bought it in California from a private party. Is it possible that some States use more corrosive salt than others?

I'm worried about washing and messing up engine parts, as I've heard horror stories when other have washed their engine.

But, I feel that washing with low pressure water when the engine is running is probably a good idea. Just to get off what I suspect is salt. It has lots of white residue, which is likely salt. There is a possibility of it taking a dunk into salt water by the previous owner (though he said he hasn't had any accidents or other such things). I ran a carfax beforehand and found nothing - but I feel carfax can't know everything either.

Any ideas of getting the rust of of the hoses and other things? Vinegar? Lemon Juice? Rust removal jelly?

I especially want the manifold to look nice and new without the pitting that you see in the original picture. Will sanding make it look like new?

Someone asked how the rest of the car looks. The underside also has more rust that I'd care to see, mostly on iron parts. The exhaust components has rust on them too.

I feel that all this is most likely caused by road salt. Next likely cause is it took a dunk in salt water (though I see no real indication of other water damage).

Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Lightbulb

I've cleaned my engine bay about 3 times so far since I've gotten my car (6 monthes now) I just use the engine degreaser at the quarter carwash and rinse it down with the spot-free wash because its lower pressure and because of what it is. I'm also careful around the alternator and open intake, just use your head when doing these things. Inbetween cleanings I always wipe down the engine bay with an old towel to keep it neat though, that's the key, clean as you go

Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
I just use the engine degreaser at the quarter carwash and rinse it down with the spot-free wash because its lower pressure and because of what it is. [...] Inbetween cleanings I always wipe down the engine bay with an old towel to keep it neat though, that's the key, clean as you go
THis is good advice. I live in CA and am now pretty concerned about keeping our engine bay in decent shape. I've never see a car so young look so rough in its guts.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Meguiers is just coming out with a new engine cleaner that is safe for all parts. I can't wait to try it out next summer. Hoping my Fit will survive the winter in good shape so I can show it a few more times next summer. We've won 14 trophies so far and I would like to get another 4 before we retire for a while.

Cat

Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
While my engine bay looks nothing like this cause it has 22k miles and is still like new,some undercarriage parts are starting to rust. This is to be expected nowadays manufactures use recycled iron/steel to shave costs and be envior friendly. Just think how long it takes/took for an older 50's 60's era car to rust,'compared to now