Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
Question Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

I have been reading in the forums and haven't found a clear answer as to whether coil replacement has been confirmed as the "solution" to the common engine stuttering issue (i.e. misfire at idle, worse with AC on, stopped in traffic)?

I realize this issue may be different on each car and could be various sensors, water in fuel, bad fuel, fuel pumps, fuel filters, locking torque converter issues, bad ground on the coils, etc...

That said, there seem to be a lot of people who suspect the coils as the cause. Has anyone had a stutter or misfire that they fixed by installing new coil packs?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
one word: YES.

I had all the exact problems you have, misfire at idle, even worse with A/C, stuttering while at a constant speed, random check engine lights, car shutting off in traffic, etc.

I replaced my spark plugs with two new sets, first one was the oem replacement from NGK. Even after lowering the gap (thinking that was the problem), i replaced it with a set of bosch plugs. Same problem.

After i thought hmm maybe it's the fuel, so I ran 3 injector cleaners...for the first 20 miles im like wow it worked! then it came right back. So it wasn't the fuel.

Then i thought hmm maybe my intake is dirty so i cleaned the intake with K&N filter cleaner (since I had the supa sucka intake)..... nothing!

Then one day i got a CEL and it threw a misfire in 3 cylinders... #1, 2 and 3. So i'm like hmm let me change out the coil pack from #4 and put it into #1... then i reset the ECU... now the code was in Cylinder #2, 3 and 4!! So i'm like oh f**k it's the coil packs. Ordered 3 of them from bernardiparts.com for $67 each, replaced them, and now my car is 40k miles with these new plugs and NO STUTTERING!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Two days after replace ALL my coils, so far the stutter is gone.

Previous symptoms were hesitation/stutter during idle (about every 5-10 seconds) also around 55mph on incline highway.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes, had them all replaced in the 55-57k range; and am at 85k now and havent have the problem return. I have to wonder though if the design is faulty and the problem wont reoccur later on...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
RE: Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

what do you people do with your Honda FITs that you have to replace the coils after 55k miles? I had the same problem. I figured it was the spark plugs so one by one i pulled the coil's off and changed the spark plugs. before putting the coil back i took a cloth and wiped off the orange/black nipple on the end of the coil and put the coil back on the new plug. I have made 17 trips from Tampa-Miami with my Jazz so far and I got rid of the problem.

Honda R&D Recommends the use of Denso Iridium Performance Plus spark plugs.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
thank you for the advice on the coils, now I know why my new(used) 08 fit is stuttering, I feel a lot better now!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cakacon
thank you for the advice on the coils, now I know why my new(used) 08 fit is stuttering, I feel a lot better now!

We've cured two customer's cars so far with new coil and spark plugs. Neither cured by plugs alone. One took 1 coil the other two and not on any specific cylinder.
I was genuinely apologetic for the bills, $100 each for coils and OK for $12 plugs. Whoever made the decision to replace transistor distributors with coil-packs should be soundly chastised.

Last edited by mahout; 08-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 AM
do you have to replace all the coils or the faulty just the one?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
one word: YES.

I had all the exact problems you have, misfire at idle, even worse with A/C, stuttering while at a constant speed, random check engine lights, car shutting off in traffic, etc.

I replaced my spark plugs with two new sets, first one was the oem replacement from NGK. Even after lowering the gap (thinking that was the problem), i replaced it with a set of bosch plugs. Same problem.

After i thought hmm maybe it's the fuel, so I ran 3 injector cleaners...for the first 20 miles im like wow it worked! then it came right back. So it wasn't the fuel.

Then i thought hmm maybe my intake is dirty so i cleaned the intake with K&N filter cleaner (since I had the supa sucka intake)..... nothing!

Then one day i got a CEL and it threw a misfire in 3 cylinders... #1, 2 and 3. So i'm like hmm let me change out the coil pack from #4 and put it into #1... then i reset the ECU... now the code was in Cylinder #2, 3 and 4!! So i'm like oh f**k it's the coil packs. Ordered 3 of them from bernardiparts.com for $67 each, replaced them, and now my car is 40k miles with these new plugs and NO STUTTERING!!!
nice bait and switch

"one word" is 2 words before u even gave the answer "yes". then u wrote an essay

i

Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
We've cured two customer's cars so far with new coil and spark plugs. Neither cured by plugs alone. One took 1 coil the other two and not on any specific cylinder.
I was genuinely apologetic for the bills, $100 each for coils and OK for $12 plugs. Whoever made the decision to replace transistor distributors with coil-packs should be soundly chastised.
im glad ur not an engineer or scientist (or a teacher).

interesting that you blame ALL coil pack designs.
do u prefer a carburetors over fuel injectors?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
This coil pack problem gets me mad. Coil on plugs have been around for a while and why does Honda have this problem? Is it because the timing is changing to fast for the coils to recharge? probably not. To much heat? probable. Either way its supposed to last to 100000 miles at least. Even if its a defect in design Honda should have a recall then to replace them or fix the ecu if thats the cause. Is that the cause of a slight miss at idle in 2 new cars I own. I use premium and get around 40 mpg and wife uses regular 26-30mpg and both cars are under 6000 miles.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
thats crazy are you guys auto or 5spd? cause i had a similar problem but my problem was the spark plugs do to haveing bad gas and running octaine booster to go have fun on the curbs! but i changed my plugs to the r18 witch are a little bit hotter and it runs alot beter than what it did when it was new
btw 2 of my friends with autos had the same problem but i think its weird:?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I had that problem in all my Honda's, I always thought it was the ethanol in the gas. My Fit was manual and both of the new cars are automatics. I never had the problem fixed but had the same symptoms.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I've been having a similar issue with my 07 Fit. I've had the P0302 code thrown a few times and a slight miss on idle (just a vibration in the wheel when parked, no stalling so far). Plugs had been replaced about 20k miles ago. Just replaced the suspect coil pack. This morning the car rough idled again and CEL came on blinking. I turned the car off and restarted it with no CEL on. No codes.

Odd? Anyone else have this?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
yes it fixed the stutter in my fit. especially with ac in, some times it would stall completely. only had to replace 1 coil pack.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
ditto, i replaced the one the check engine light was saying was misfiring + put in new spark plugs just in case

so far so good

Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I had the same problem around 75k. Pulled all my coil packs and upgraded all my spark plugs. When putting the coil packs back on I added dielectric grease to the ends. So far no problems and its been about 30k miles since.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
This happend to me today....

I was driving up I81 and I hit traffic. All of a sudden i felt a shutter and it went away. Then went to accelerate, i was only running on 3 cylinders.

I limped home then took it to autozone to get the codes, 3 and 4 are throwing the misfire code.

are you guys getting oem replacements or aftermarket coil packs?

aem make some

Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andyd
This happend to me today....

I was driving up I81 and I hit traffic. All of a sudden i felt a shutter and it went away. Then went to accelerate, i was only running on 3 cylinders.

I limped home then took it to autozone to get the codes, 3 and 4 are throwing the misfire code.

are you guys getting oem replacements or aftermarket coil packs?

aem make some

i got OEM from bernardi, they were ~$63 each

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenmei
i got OEM from bernardi, they were ~$63 each

I cant find them on that site.

Quick Reply: Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?