Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Well the dealership replaced the coil pack on cyl2. Ran well for a day and then started the misfire stuff again. This time...no permanent CEL/code. Only slightly rough idle and the occasional blinking CEL which then goes off after a moment and it drives fine.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andyd
I cant find them on that site.

Honda Parts and Honda Accessories from Bernardi Parts - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

search for part #: 30520-PWC-003

COIL ASSY., PLUG TOP $63.46

or click here:
Honda COIL ASSY., PLUG TOP - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenmei

Word. I got them from another site for 65 bucks per coil and free shipping. I had to get new plugs too.

Shes running good now.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
so changing the coil packs really did help???? because I've already changed out my spark plugs to ngk iradiums and that didn't solve the problem at all. and I pump 93 octane. if its really the coils then I will change mines as soon as possible. because this sh iiiiit is annoying as hell.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by andyd
Word. I got them from another site for 65 bucks per coil and free shipping. I had to get new plugs too.

Shes running good now.
where did you get yours at 65.00 free shipping I need coils asap mines stuttering none stop crazy right now...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
I replaced two coils of the four and still had the problem

got a valve adjustment done yesterday and so far so good. no stuttering!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Do the coils go out intermittently or do they die completely? How does one go about diagnosing a bad coil?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F-IT!!!
so changing the coil packs really did help???? because I've already changed out my spark plugs to ngk iradiums and that didn't solve the problem at all. and I pump 93 octane. if its really the coils then I will change mines as soon as possible. because this sh iiiiit is annoying as hell.

You don't have any idea what's annoying til you tell a customer used to changing plugs less than $10 and rechecking timing that the now plugs and coil packs will cost $100 per cylinder. Honda has lost a good deal of their stone reliability reputation on this issue.

Last edited by mahout; 03-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Stop the stutter get the coil packs

I wrote awhile back on the Constant speed stutter thread my experience with the stutter issue.

I have a '07 Sport AT Fit that i purchased new in April '06. never had a problem until 115,000 miles when the stutter brought the car to a stop.

Took it to the local dealer who replaced the plugs and one coil pack for $400. The problem continued, I ordered 3 more coil packs online and replaced the rest of the original packs. Easy fix- 10mm socket & ratchet, dielectric grease and 15 minutes.

I now have 158,000 miles on the OD and have not had another single issue.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
rock auto parts has 1 for 49.00 1 yr warranty, here's the link. v v v

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
rock auto parts has 1 for 49.00 1 yr warranty, here's the link. v v v

RockAuto Parts Catalog
wow awesome price, i might actually think of replacing the other two for that amount.. just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Living up to the reputation! Honda Stealerships

Originally Posted by justdriving
I wrote awhile back on the Constant speed stutter thread my experience with the stutter issue.

I have a '07 Sport AT Fit that i purchased new in April '06. never had a problem until 115,000 miles when the stutter brought the car to a stop.

Took it to the local dealer who replaced the plugs and one coil pack for $400. The problem continued, I ordered 3 more coil packs online and replaced the rest of the original packs. Easy fix- 10mm socket & ratchet, dielectric grease and 15 minutes.

I now have 158,000 miles on the OD and have not had another single issue.
OMGosh where are these thieves located? 400.00 dollars for a 40.00 coil pack their price and 30.00 in plugs? And didn't fix the prob. must have some real "krack" techs there!
Good to hear you said enuf's enuf and fixxed it yourself.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
yep, like mike said the new coils are black instead of orange at the bottom rubber tip.

and it's a super easy job. you just need a 10mm socket and some dielectric grease. look up sid's DIY spark plug replacement if you need pics. it's easier than taking off a tire. i would highly suggest trying yourself instead of the dealer/a shop.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb +rep

Good way of putting it Mike.
Originally Posted by MikeGV
At about 45,000 I replaced the coils in my 2007 Fit and it ifixed the Stutter.

The [electrical] coils fail at higher temperatures but work sometimes work correctly at "lower" temperatures (i.e. when not a a traffic light / AC on). The coils can be tested for resistance at "normal" temps and test fine. This is why some of the cars run fine unless A/C is on at a light, and probably why the problem is more pronounced in automatic transmission Fits.

As a sidenote - my "new" coils were different in color, and were clearly from a different production run. Maybe some coils were a "bad batch" at the to the factory ... or they were made on a Friday. Just my .02!

If anyone I know had a fit that was missing I would tell them to replace the coils in a minute!

Michael Van Hoesen
Tucson, Arizona
Michael Van Hoesen's Personal Website
http://profiles.google.com/MikeGV

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you guys

I took my Fit to Honda Of Hollywood in Feb 2010 and they reset some code for 125.00. When the problem didn't go away, they told me my oil pressure switch was the problem in November 2010 and replaced it. Here I am almost 600 dollars later in dealership expenses, with the same stutter, and I all I had to do was come here and find the solution. I'm so annoyed, and can't believe I spent so much money and time at this horrible dealership. I took the car back and told them I read the solution here now they want me to come back this week for another 230.00 to have to coils replaced. Is there a how to on how to do this myself? I don't have the money, at the moment now because I am currently unemployed. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Ive been trying to find a fix and there is little info. Honda Fit is a high compression motor and with ethanol in the gas a hot spark is needed. Deposits and over heating of the coils seem to be the problem. Coil-On-Plug Ignition and Ignition Coils plus Analyzing Ignition Misfires . The answer lies somewhere in all those links. I run premium and see that it runs richer and the ecu pulls fuel, which means there is enough fuel to ignite and less spark needed.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by djerictm
I took my Fit to Honda Of Hollywood in Feb 2010 and they reset some code for 125.00. When the problem didn't go away, they told me my oil pressure switch was the problem in November 2010 and replaced it. Here I am almost 600 dollars later in dealership expenses, with the same stutter, and I all I had to do was come here and find the solution. I'm so annoyed, and can't believe I spent so much money and time at this horrible dealership. I took the car back and told them I read the solution here now they want me to come back this week for another 230.00 to have to coils replaced. Is there a how to on how to do this myself? I don't have the money, at the moment now because I am currently unemployed. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
it's insanely easy, it's essentially 1 bolt and 1 clip you have to undo. but you'll need some dielectric grease for the inside of the coils and some anti-seize for the bolts

follow this DIY https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...l15a-vtec.html

without changing/removing the spark plugs.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down And the sad thing is they're not that stupid!

These people at H.H. knew good and well what was wrong the first time you came in!! It's not a hard diagnosis with the Fit,they just wanted to take as much $ as they could from you. But now ya know if there is anything wrong w/ur Fit, ya write it & post it up and I guarantee someone has delt w/ the exact same thing and will be happy to help ya for free!
Mike

Originally Posted by djerictm

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
EXT
5 Year Member
bought idsi MT model few month back,car was jerking when in high gear or some time
when idle, i was under this imp that the plugs are the culprit.so i did my fidings and found 2 from 8 coils that were fucked. its the HITACHI brands.
most of the peoples in this forum was mentioning jerking problem.they were trying all sout of things but nothing helped.and yes the main problem are the coils.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 AM
okay I just got my coil packs today its not oem but aftermarket... installed them myself it was easy diy... I also got ngk iradium plugs... with 93 octane. but anyways after the new coil pack was in. I turn the engine on and check engine was gone.. the stuttering stopped... I was shocked that it finally stopped yayyyy. mines started at 51 or 52ks miles. so another 50k miles I'll have to change it again. you don't need to get oem crap aftermarket coil packs do the job good to. ordered online from this website but forgot but got it with in 3 days I was like wow that was quick. anyways my fit drives smooth again and no more annoying check engine light YES!!!!!! AND YEAH I CHANGED ALL FOUR COILS.. all four of my old coils are fucked up badly was gonna take a picture but was lazy hahah and when I ordered from that website I looked up promotion codes and got it 12 dollars off and free shipping costed me 240.00 something cents for all four coils. talked with some guy named marc on the chat box. I'll find the website and try to put it on here when I get the chance.

Last edited by F-IT!!!; 03-26-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?