Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rotor screws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Any vertical play in the ball joint?? You might need another jack to tell.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
Yeah I have two jacks and I have on under the arm and the ball joint feels solid.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Grip the wheel top and bottom and jerk it. Any play?? Do the same grabbing the sides. Any play? Not much else from here. You might need a trip to a front end shop. Most will lift a car to diagnose for little to no money.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
I didn't feel anything abnormal. I'll just have to make an appointment with Honda as much as I hate taking my car there, extended warranties are good for something.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM
.eL - learn to trust. You now have an understanding of the issue. In motor racing their are really just two people. The driver and the crew chief. The crew chief can not do his job if the driver can not pinpoint the problem. Explain to the service guy what you have done and what the problem is as you experience it. Have confidence - keep on point - because you know what you're talking about. If he give you grief tell me. LOL

Keep us informed as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think anybody has posted this yet... but those screws for the rotor are to help center it with the hub. Hence why they're tapered
Sure, lugs will hold it securely AGAINST the hub... but they won't make sure it's centered. Some rotors fit snug against the hub, some don't. The screws eliminate the possibility
And no, they don't need replacing unless damaged.

As for your NEW noise, i would suggest everything K_C just stated (lol) and possibly making sure everything was tightened propperly on the caliper bracket/bolts. I've never heard loud noises from loose bolts, but you can't be too sure Not to mention you had it apart (no offense).

Hope this helps

Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 AM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM

As for your NEW noise, i would suggest everything K_C just stated (lol) and possibly making sure everything was tightened propperly on the caliper bracket/bolts. I've never heard loud noises from loose bolts, but you can't be too sure Not to mention you had it apart (no offense).

Hope this helps
In the past 3 weeks, I've taken my calipers off too many times for that to be the cause. I could probably change the brakes on a Fit with my eyes closed by now lol.

I have an appointment on Saturday morning with the dealership. I'll keep you ladies posted

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Just got back from the dealership and they say I have a blown RF strut. Taking it back thursday to be replaced. Hope that fixes it.

Shouldn't struts always be replaced in pairs? Wouldn't I need an alignment after this?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by .eL

Shouldn't struts always be replaced in pairs? Wouldn't I need an alignment after this?
I would encourage the dealer to replace BOTH struts, seeing as how you have 60K on the car. If they resist, tell them (nicely of course) that you intend to call Honda to see what Corporate recommends.

As for alignment, many Hondas do not require re-alignment after strut replacement, because of the clamp-bolt method of securing the lower portion of the strut.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Just got off the phone with Honda and they said they'd only replace the failed part. Looks like I'll be driving around with a new left strut and a right strut with 60k on it

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
.eL They doing this under warranty? How much time/mileage left on it? A crap shoot. What would they charge you to do both? If it ain't broke don't fix it, but look at the big picture and decide if you want to go for it. If money is the issue, and when is it not, I would wait. Your ride will not know one strut is newer than the other I do believe.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Yeah, it's covered under my extended warranty. If the other side blows, I'll just bring it in again

No big deal I guess. If I had the spare cash right now, I'd replace the left one myself. It's alright though, the warranty is good for 2 more years I think.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:39 PM
What did they say re: alignment. A good idea would be to have it checked. With one strut wearing and possibly been aligned to, I would insist - certainly on a 2007 vehicle. You know the drill LOL

Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
What did they say re: alignment. A good idea would be to have it checked. With one strut wearing and possibly been aligned to, I would insist - certainly on a 2007 vehicle. You know the drill LOL
I guess I'll ask the people at the dealership tomorrow. I don't feel like calling the warranty people again, the guy I spoke with sounded as if I interrupted his suicide attempt by calling.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by .eL
the guy I spoke with sounded as if I interrupted his suicide attempt by calling.

Suicide Hot Line put him ON HOLD AGAIN???

So is this a Hondacare warranty (factory) or an aftermarket warranty company you are asking? Do you have to pay a deductable each time? If you are paying a deductable I'd consider replacing the other one..

Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Suicide Hot Line put him ON HOLD AGAIN???

So is this a Hondacare warranty (factory) or an aftermarket warranty company you are asking? Do you have to pay a deductable each time? If you are paying a deductable I'd consider replacing the other one..
It's Hondacare, no deductible.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
It is not the screws...their most important job is the keep the rotor in place on the assembly line before attaching the wheels.

They do help center it to the tiniest millimeter, but it's the lugs that hold the rotors in place when braking.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
fuck what happened in here? you dont need those little screws. they are only there because it makes it easier to install the rotors in the factory. they are completely useless

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Lol. You goobers couldn't get the screws loose because you need an impact driver to get them out.

Also, you don't NEED the screws. The calipers keep the rotor in place.

Quick Reply: Rotor screws?