Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

ABS Question (Non fit)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM
ABS Question (Non fit)

Hey so I figured since a ton of people here are knowledgeable about electronics (which I think this is) I would ask here rather than track down a saturn forum. My sister's car has something triggering the ABS for basically no reason.

Car:
2003 Saturn sedan. Not sure of the trim level but its the higher trim 1901 CC twin cam motor according to the cyl head. It's an automatic if that has any impact.

Symptoms:
1) Electric hum like a solenoid opening 99.9% of the time brakes are pressed. Nothing happens but there is a hum as though a part is being fed juice. The closest thing I can equate this to is the sound of a computer turning on (w/o fans).

2) On moderate stops as brake pressure is applied the abs will engage once and allow a second or rotation on the brakes. It happens exactly once as you begin pressing the brake pedal down. Once you are "stopping" and stop applying more pressure the abs stops.

3) On harder stops (but no skid or anything just a short stop) the abs engages although it does not need to.

I'm guessing it is a faulty sensor of some sort. She told me a mechanic looked at it (for 100 bucks non the less) and said "gm cars have bad electronics it is ok). The car is drivable but its really not a safe thing to have to guess at your brake distance like that. Anyone have a similar experience and tips what to look for. I'm planning on taking apart the front brakes to look for a loose sensor or other damage. This is a poorly maintained car a short is not out of the question but I've never had abs issues so I wanted to ask around. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Found this: 95 SL2 - ABS activating for no reason - Saturn Spot

Not sure if that sounds reasonable as a cause? Any way to tell with a multimeter?