General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

ABS / Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 AM
ABS / Brakes

I have a 2010 Honda Fit DX-A. Today, the road conditions were horrible; snowy, that is. I came to an intersection today, a down hill one, braked and slid. The ABS kicked in, and I continued to apply more pressure, hoping that my car would stop. It did, safely. My question is if this would in some way damage the system as a whole in anyway. Thanks for your input, and pardon the paranoia.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
No damage would be done to the system. Whenever you feel the pulsation through the brake pedal, thats just ABS doing its job. ABS prevents the wheels from locking up during braking and is designed to work while the brake pedal is depressed.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
You used the brakes the way they were intended. Steady pressure with no pumping of the brakes.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
To add to the answers already provided, during emergency braking situation when the ABS kicks in, I read somewhere that it is best to try to grip your steering wheel a bit tighter and keep your wheels straight and keep going in a straight line if safe to do so and if at all possible... it is much easier to gain back control if you are sliding if you are traveling in a straight line than to turn your wheels during emergency braking situation.. ...

of course, if someone is a professional stunt driver who can corner and slide their cars around corners at high speed and know which direction to turn the steering wheel to gain back control after turning a corner, that's a different story.. I wish I know how

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
To add to the answers already provided, during emergency braking situation when the ABS kicks in, I read somewhere that it is best to try to grip your steering wheel a bit tighter and keep your wheels straight and keep going in a straight line if safe to do so and if at all possible... it is much easier to gain back control if you are sliding if you are traveling in a straight line than to turn your wheels during emergency braking situation.. ...

of course, if someone is a professional stunt driver who can corner and slide their cars around corners at high speed and know which direction to turn the steering wheel to gain back control after turning a corner, that's a different story.. I wish I know how
If you lose control and start sliding straight in a curve with wheel turned (iow: sliding towards the edge of the road), let off the brakes and keep the wheel turned in the direction you want to go.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no damage. abs is suppose to give you the pulsing sensation while it works.

when i know i will run out of room i intentionally pull the e-brake and arse dorifuto for more braking power
or change trajectory. NOT recommended for the inexperienced.

btw, get some snow tires. Bridgestone ws60's.