Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My 3M Clearbra experience...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
My 3M Clearbra experience...

I've only owned my Fit for a few months. But when I bought The Fit, I decided to get the dealer offered Clearbra. Which is 3M. My pre-purchase research suggested that due to the aero-dynamic shape of the Fit, coupled with perhaps softer paint, chips and front hood damage was above average. Of course the salesman pushed the Clearbra as like driving craddled in the hand of god...I never expected that level of protection. But I did expect an improvement.

So here is my experience thus far. Since getting it and driving about 4000 miles mixed city and highway, I think the clearbra has done a good job protecting against hood damage in the form of chips from road debris and rocks. I also think it is pretty invisible most of the time, my Fit is black and I don't think unless you are looking for it, you will notice it. First impression? Clearbra was a winner....but wait....

This past weekend, I woke up on my day off early and washed and cleaned my Fit. A few weeks earlier I had waxed the Fit. The upcoming weekend was suppose to be sunny and nice, and so I wanted The Fit to look good for the weekend. Anyway, so I know in the morning it was pristine. Later that afternoon, not more than 4-6 hours later, I discovered two large, heavy piles of satanic bird droppings on my Fit hood, on the clearbra. At first I was relieved, as I thought, hey at least it hit the clearbra and so the hood and paint should be protected. As soon as I saw it? I went to the trouble of actually washing the whole car again. I figured if I was going to get a bucket, Car Shampoo and Micro-Fiber mitt out to wash the Bird Doody off the hood? Why not just spend 10 more minutes and re-wash the whole thing? So anyway removal was done as soon as noticed and carefully using only carefully applied water pressure and standard washing tools.

Unfortunately upon removal I discovered the droppings had left a horrible looking etching/stain in the clearbra. Did not matter how much Meguiars Gold Class car shampoo I used, it did not come clean. I let dry and ignored for the weekend. When it became obvious it was not simply going to disappear I spot cleaned again, and tried some Meguiars cleaner wax, but that only made the ghost etchings of bird doo doo..shinier.

Long story short, I called the dealership. So unhelpful. When they sold me the clearbra, it was presented as something they backed by warranty and would do anything to support. 2 months later? Call with a problem? Uh...well they don't do the installing, here's the number of the installer and shop they use.....click....Thanks Honda!

Anyway, the shop "tried" to be helpful. However when I showed them the damage, the exclamation of the (owner? and his installer) was that the clearbra had "done it's job" it had protected the paint. When I pointed out that what good was it if it is protecting the paint...but still looks like crap? They only exclaimed that without the clearbra I could be looking at paint damage and need the whole hood repainted.

Well in my opinion what difference does it make? A protective covering that is not resistant to bird doo, or actually reacts worse than just wax and paint can be IMO worse than having nothing. You still are stuck with visual damage, even if underneath the clearbra "maybe" the paint is still okay.

I will admit the shop tried to be helpful. The installer buffed the hood and tried different compounds. Ultimately it was buffed to a point where I can not currently see it. Although I have worries about it reappearing in time. We will see.

Interestingly, since then, Some bird droppings got left on the unprotected top of my roof. Happened during the work week and I don't honestly know how long they were on the car. The unprotected (except for Turtle Wax ICE) finish? Washed the doo doo off with no visible damage at all.

In anycase, despite the protection I think the clearbra does offer against chip and rock damage, IF the reality plays out that it actually makes bird doo doo damage more extreme? I'm tempted to just have the stuff removed and take my chances with conventional waxes and living with the occasional chips that may develop. Perhaps I got a particular evil bird? A bird dining on acid and dye filled worms. For now? The Clearbra stays...but a warning to those considering purchase, check your hood often and know that clearbra is NOT very effective and imo potentially worse at deflecting or protecting against visual damage caused by bird droppings.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...have I broken some unwritten internet automotive forum protocal? Do we not criticize the Mighty 3M clearbra?

Or does nobody really care that a bird took a dump on my Honda Fit and it made a bad stain?

Because, come on people...that's big news. I was thinking of scheduling an hour long self produced television special like Lebron James, I'll call it "The Dump".

Seriously, as follow up? Not that anyone cares, but the buff out appears to have worked. So I guess my ultimate evaluation returns to being mostly positive. The Clearbra does seem to help with rocks and chips and evidently even with satanic steaming piles of bird doody. However, to anyone considering purchase, just don't be too relaxed about thinking no damage could occur. Infact if appearance is a priority, you might want to be even more dilligent about removing bird droppings from your clearbra than you would any other place on your automobile. I now carry a small pump up squirt gun ($1.00) and a micro-fiber towel in my Fit. I plan to remove any dropping ASAP whenever I discover them. So I'll be the weirdo in the parking lot squirting the hood of his Fit with a squirt gun and wiping with a micro-fiber. Try not to laugh too loud.

Last edited by fitchet; 07-19-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Y not?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm dealing with a similar issue with bugs I killed and apparently leaving them on the clearbra too long. I've washed, waxed etc but still see the outlines of them.

I may try to buff them out based on your info, thanks. I love the clearbra, have had it since Jan 09. My lesson, wash car quickly after a drive with lots of bugs.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
This just confirms that dealer "protection" packages are laughably overpriced and largely ineffective.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Cool On my Mazda

I bought the clearcoat protection, but don't think it is much better than good wax. On my old Subaru, after a while I had the hood re-painted (when it was in the shop for a minor accident caused by someone else) and it was cheaper than the cost of the add-ons that people put on their cars and coatings, etc.

For the Fit, people moan about the paint and recommend shields, coatings, deflectors, and bras...I am going to take my chances like I did on the Subaru...

Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Dissent readthe whole thing but turtle wax ice the paist kind not the liqued will take it right off

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
mequiar's plastic X

maybe try meguiars plastic x on the bra I know it works great on headlights and they are plastic but not sure what the clear bra is made of but worth a shot. maybe even put it on a buffer pad with a terri cloth towel to try to get it off.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i bought my fit with the 3m clear bra. I have not had this problem but i would not care its on the clear bra. I am takeing mine off in about a year or so. Than i will get a respray the top of my hood is chiped than i will more than likely have a new clear bra put on depending on price

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Next time this happens to your clear bra, try this: 303 Aerospace Protectant. www.303products.com.

It's fairly inexpensive (hopefully you can find it locally as this stuff is hard to find.) and if it does not work at eliminating/minimizing the etch marks of the doodoo, at least you can still use it on your cars' plastic molding, vinyl to keep it looking new and prevents them from fading and cracking.

This product is great, give it a try. For more info on its other uses, visit their website.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 07-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Well, look at it this way. You can have bug and poop stains, but no rock chips; or, you can have rock chips, but no bug and poop stains. Both have their pros and cons, so to each their own.