Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Squeak when releasing brakes (pedal brakes AND emergency brake)

Old 09-11-2010, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Squeak when releasing brakes (pedal brakes AND emergency brake)

I have a 2007 Fit Sport with about 50,000 miles.

I have a squeaking sound that occurs *sometimes* when the brakes are released (even when the car is off). This happens with the service brakes (pedal brakes) and the parking/emergency brakes. The Squeak is intermittent but when it happens the squeak occurs while *releasing* the brakes. I honestly suspect it is the drums contracting.

I don't have a service manual but I am assuming that the E-brake/parking brake is cable driven and the regular brakes are hydraulic. It seems to me that there was some federal mandate that the Emergency brakes on U.S. vehicles must be a separate physical system from the 'service' brakes. I may be making that part up, but I remember hearing it. I think that the noise when releasing the brakes it is a spring/shoe/drum/dust related issue...i.e. something inside the drum. I say this because it happens when the brakes are engaged and when released. It happens with both the hydraulic brakes and the emergency brakes.

Before I reinvent the wheel (no pun intended)...
1. Has anyone else experienced a squeak when releasing brakes? If so, what was it and how did you fix it?
2. Am I correct in assuming that the E-Brake is a cable operated mechanism while the service brakes are hydraulic?
3. Does anyone have any other thoughts regarding a common denominator between the emergency/service brakes? i.e. something I am missing...particuarly someplace that the cable/hydraulic systems intersect OUTSIDE of the drum?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by MikeGV; 09-11-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
The E-Brake (parking brake) is cable actuated but the cable only activates one shoe per brake and attaches to a mechanism inside the drum from the brake baking plate... I would guess that you need to remove the drum to see what is going on in there... I have had no brake problems on my 2007 or any other problems except that my motor mounts are weakening.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
When I release my brakes I get a creek but their street/racing pads and the rotors are drilled and gold plated. Only happens when they are cold. Have you tried replacing your pads with more expensive ones?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
From the description, I suspect the rear shoes are squeaking. I would remove the rear drums and lubricate the areas where the shoes ride on the backing plates. Use a good quality, hi temp brake grease (synthetic if possible).

When you put it all back together, make sure the shoes are adjusted properly so that they won't have so far to move when actuated.

You will be surprised at how well the brakes work when the rear shoes are adjusted correctly.